Sax on the Web Forum banner

using alto or soprano to preserve tenor embouchure while traveling?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SchlockRod 
#1 ·
I will be doing a lot of traveling in the near future and want to keep my embouchure in shape. I play tenor almost exclusively, playing alto and soprano in my band just a few times each year on just a couple of tunes that we don’t play much, so I don’t put much practice time into those horns. Dragging my tenor along might be inconvenient so am thinking about taking either the soprano or alto. Any thoughts on which would be best (or least worse) in terms of preserving a tenor embouchure? Or do I just need to drag along the tenor?

#3 ·
One time I was trying out a new soprano and was playing one and then the other every evening for about two weeks. I noticed a tremendous improvement in my tenor embouchure. With the sop being the most embouchure-intensive of the horns you mentioned, I believe you could not only save space with the sop but it will net you the most improvement for the practice time you'll have.

#4 ·
Take the soprano. I found my tenor and alto tone improved after I picked up soprano. Plus you'll still be thinking in Bb.

#5 ·
Ditto 1saxman and '53 SBA. I'm away for 6 months and playing soprano and clarinet. But even prior to this, when I started learning soprano 1 1/2 years ago, it made tenor seem so easy! And the altissimo range became way more easy! But just being able to relax and get a good sound on tenor was the best part. I think clarinet is helping soprano too, and probably my tenor chops as well.
The hardest part of being on the road is finding a good room to play in. I've played in a lot of rental cars, and it hurts your ability to get a good sound. I'm blessed with a huge steel building here, with a pent roof and a big sound system, and man what a difference that has made for my playing! A live room is a good thing to find. Outside near some woods can be good too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.