Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone know the originally published key of Wiedoeft's Saxema for the C Melody?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chema 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a copy of Saxema for Eb Alto and Piano; cannot find anyone who carries the original for C-Mel.
I started to transpose the piece--the Alto part is written in the key of C so the C part should be in Eb..fine but the straight transposition from the alto piece really puts the Eb part out of the mid range of the C mel where it sounds like Wiedoeft's recordings so my assumption is that it was originally published in a different key when he first wrote it for Cmel and piano. Unfortunately, I am either too lazy or to middle age deaf to transcribe from his recordings.

PS, it sounds good on Alto but I really like the violinish sound Wiedoeft makes on the C mel in the range he plays on this piece and would like to replicate with piano acc.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

#2 ·
Hello,
I have a copy of Saxema for Eb Alto and Piano; cannot find anyone who carries the original for C-Mel.
I started to transpose the piece--the Alto part is written in the key of C so the C part should be in Eb..fine but the straight transposition from the alto piece really puts the Eb part out of the mid range of the C mel where it sounds like Wiedoeft's recordings so my assumption is that it was originally published in a different key when he first wrote it for Cmel and piano. Unfortunately, I am either too lazy or to middle age deaf to transcribe from his recordings.

PS, it sounds good on Alto but I really like the violinish sound Wiedoeft makes on the C mel in the range he plays on this piece and would like to replicate with piano acc.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
Chances are good that they transposed the piano part and left the sax part alone. This means it was probably originally in C.

#3 ·
Thanks Mal 2, I think you are right! no way i want to spend the time transposing the piano part though so I guess I may just have to play it on the alto.

#4 ·
Mikebox;2031942...Unfortunately said:
Mike - you're not that old, or that lazy...:bluewink: Just play along with this, no need to transpose onto paper, you'll quickly get an idea of what key it's originally in...

I have a theory that Wiedoeft played all his tunes in keys which gave very natural and intuitive 'sax fingerings', why not ? I even suspect that some arrangements of his C-Mel tunes for alto sax kept those intuitive 'sax fingerings' and just moved the piano part key around :mrgreen:

Strangely, someone in this Youtube offering comments mentions about the key of 'B', can't imagine any C-Mel player wrestling with five sharps when Bb or C is that close !

#6 ·
Thanks saxtek, I always thought it was the logical thing to do...

Now if only we could persuade everyone else to transpose 'around' our Bb and Eb horns in the 21'st century, eh ? That'd be nice, and chaotic...

#7 · (Edited)
Hello Saxtek, Just seen that you have Rudy wiedoeft pieces for c melody. I am stating up a musical, lot of work, and our pianist realized the transposition for alto and so by the current editions. we can't find so it begins running out of time... Please, could you kindly send me the original piano scores which key for

Saxema (Bb),
Saxarella (C) and
Sax o phun (D)?

We appreciate so much your consideration.
Following you on facebook and looking forward more sax videos from you, my girl and I have spent more than an hour watching you and she really loves your music... HAve a great day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.