Sax on the Web Forum banner

Female sax players on Youtube

63K views 126 replies 87 participants last post by  AddictedToSax 
#1 ·
I teach sax in my small rural town in Australia. I send listening assignments to my students using email. The assignment is a Youtube link with the simple question, "What do you think of the sax playing/tune/video" and "Comment".

I'm having trouble finding female sax players on Youtube other than students posting their own playing. I can only think of Candy Dulfer, Louise Elliott, Cactus Channel (from Melbourne) and then the list stops. My female students really need someone to look up to who is female - either solo or in a horn section. Is it really a man's world?!?

#16 ·
#19 ·
Melissa Aldana.

#26 ·
This is an “IMO” and is only to be taken as such. It is not my intention to start a torchin’-Flame party but I have to say this only because I dig delving into the art of music. Dig this – my friends drop by and I say, “Got some new sounds, check this out”. I throw the CD on, friends pick up a drink and we LISTEN ! We listen to the lines, harmony, melody, structure, recording tech, etc. We try to soak it all in. Sometime we even cuss out the noise out in the street if it messes with our serious listening process. If someone in our listening circle were to ask the question, “Is the sax player a man or woman” the listening session would end. Point -> Some people don’t care if a worthwhile musical performance is be played by a pink transvestite midget; it’s the sounds our ears are dealing with that matter. I can see a teacher inspiring a class by using male players vs female players and all the processes that go with the teacher/student thing but in the end in the student, listener, teacher and politician have to deal with the sound process; no eyes needed. When I and my friends listen to the Los Angeles Philharmonic we are not interested in how many girls are seen holding a cello. Anyway, thanks for the post so I could get this out and please understand that it is only because I am only interested in SOUND. Now then, smell is another matter. “IMO” – “IMO”-“IMO”
Duddly Done Gone!

#32 ·
This is an "IMO" and is only to be taken as such. It is not my intention to start a torchin'-Flame party but I have to say this only because I dig delving into the art of music. Dig this - my friends drop by and I say, "Got some new sounds, check this out". I throw the CD on, friends pick up a drink and we LISTEN ! We listen to the lines, harmony, melody, structure, recording tech, etc. We try to soak it all in. Sometime we even cuss out the noise out in the street if it messes with our serious listening process. If someone in our listening circle were to ask the question, "Is the sax player a man or woman" the listening session would end. Point -> Some people don't care if a worthwhile musical performance is be played by a pink transvestite midget; it's the sounds our ears are dealing with that matter. I can see a teacher inspiring a class by using male players vs female players and all the processes that go with the teacher/student thing but in the end in the student, listener, teacher and politician have to deal with the sound process; no eyes needed. When I and my friends listen to the Los Angeles Philharmonic we are not interested in how many girls are seen holding a cello. Anyway, thanks for the post so I could get this out and please understand that it is only because I am only interested in SOUND. Now then, smell is another matter. "IMO" - "IMO"-"IMO"
Duddly Done Gone!
Thanks for being gone...we appreciate it.

Ya see....while some of your self-absorbed soliloquiy might have a bit of merit...the thang here is.....unless you are capable (even for a moment) of putting yourselves in someone else's shoes ~ to consider the position of other folks in society and throughout history, etc....what you are gonna end up with is a comment and outlook like this. To some this comment may seem totally unbiased and color/gender-blind, but to me it's just a fabulous example of a tin ear (& one which likes to talk too much).

If you can imagine or appreciate the position of others in this life, unlike yourself, then you will not end up posting something like this.

IF you are more deeply connected and have an inkling of understanding towards your daughter, significant other, friend, etc....you will understand just a bit why this thread and the good question it poses, is here.

Fabulous thread, BTW...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.