boots randolph? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: boots randolph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: boots randolph?

I had a Link STM 5* that played huge. It could get as gritty as I ever needed. The NY STM that I have now can get pretty edgy, as well. I miss that 5*, though.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxhound View Post
    Obviously not!!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Knoxville, TN Area (escaped from Illinois)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GT View Post
    Obviously not!!
    Well, I'm not a King expert, but he is sitting on a stool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man....no, thats it...thats a 12 year old memory at work....now60!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxhound View Post
    Well, I'm not a King expert, but he is sitting on a stool!
    Sorry, I thought you were kidding...my eyesight isn't great but that looks like a VI to me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxhorn4 View Post
    There is an album cover out there....my mother had it in her collection.
    I'm gonna try to find it...Boots sitting on a stool , holding if i remember correctly,
    a King super 20..silver sonic! Like i said i'm gonna track it down.
    I guess some think you have to play a Berg Larsen and a Super 20 to play Rock and Roll.
    I think Boots liked to play in tune.

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrvinson45 View Post
    Ok, here's the last paragraph from his bio on bootsrandolph.com.

"Over the years, this legendary musician had written chapter after chapter of music history...forever etched in sound... entertaining audiences with the same enthusiasm he had since day one. It was in his blood! Boots was his name and SAX was his game! His horn was a Selmer Super 80 Series II with a Bobby Dukoff D-9 mouthpiece, and a #3 Rico reed."

That should put this to rest.
    No, you do not understand the difference between the truth and politically-correct BS. Boots played the Links and Dukoff Hollywood very early on as you said, but his principle mouthpiece, the one on which he did all of his recognized work, was a Brilhart Velvet Tone #7. He played a few different Selmer Paris tenors but the one for his 'glory days' was a MK VI. After he retired the MK VI, his official 'Selmer Artist' sax was a SA80II, but he almost never played it. He played out his days on a Selmer USA Model 164. It was about when he started with the USA that he retired the Brilhart and started with the Dukoff Super Power Chamber D9.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"No, you do not understand the difference between the truth and politically-correct BS."

Wow -- wee!

Where does "politically-correct BS" come into a discussion about a dead guy's mouthpiece?

jrvinson45 cited authority, and if you go there, you will see that it is correctly quoted.

They claim to be "THE OFFICIAL BOOTS RANDOLPH SITE" so the source of the authority sounds OK.

If a mistake has been made, perhaps the site is not really official, or perhaps there is a more authoritative source of information.

I did not quite follow the next step in the reasoning for correcting whatever mistake was made ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by domo View Post
    Attachment 42498
    Pictures of one of Boot's old mpc's. He could go through some Dukoff's. He would wear them out and go to the next one. They might last him 4 years? I've worked and recorded with Boots. Woodwind master, Billy Puett, gave me this old Boots mpc back in the late 80's. I'm not sure which person tried to scrap the outside? Boots was a great guy and saxophone player. Could wail from an altissimo D to a sub tone low Bb in one line, both notes being huge. And he could do it in a way that the common audience could relate to. He was practicing and playing up to the end. I would always walk away amazed and saying to myself "that man can play the saxophone!"
    I'm curious....how do you wear out a mouthpiece?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a valid question. Hard playing I guess. But I think Boots would generally like to listen and play on new things, just to keep things fresh. One time he brought me back to the green room to play me a new lick he had learned that day. And this was when he was 78 years old! (I think it was a diminished lick from a Red Holloway CD) He was always trying to listen and learn something new. But on the flip side, he would always say that you have to play what the folks want to listen to, you can't get too advanced for the audience. So he kept it palatable for his audience. He had a Selmer endorsement, so they sent him horns every 8-10 years or so? With the last batch of horns, he decided he liked the intermediate horn over the professional model horn that Selmer sent. So the last 4-5 years of his life he was playing on an intermediate level Selmer horn!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dukoff mouthpieces are made of 'silverite', which someone on here found out was basically pewter. Pewter is quite soft--plus after a couple years of hard use is no longer 'shiny'. Part of being an entertainer/musician is that how you look becomes part of your onstage persona. I can't imagine any of those guys from that era playing on a ratty looking horn or guitar. Playing on old, well-used equipment didn't become part of the Nashville scene until the mid-seventies when Willie and the 'outlaw' guys started dressing down.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dukoff silverite mouthpieces eventually wear out. I think that it was Kirk Whalum that bit one in half, basically. That stuff is soft and, like me, ain't pretty with a little age on it. :-)
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol... you made my day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    Dukoff silverite mouthpieces eventually wear out. I think that it was Kirk Whalum that bit one in half, basically. That stuff is soft and, like me, ain't pretty with a little age on it. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!!! Those things must be basically made out of pot metal....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2