Sax on the Web Forum banner

Trevor James Signature Custom

26K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  skelly 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Looking for a new baby, just flirting with the idea or ... let me guess, simply researching what you know who might be purchasing soon?

#4 ·
With the exception of the pads, springs and thumbrest this looks exactly like a Model Six . If it is the same body, neck and keywork it would be an incredible saxophone.

#8 ·
Trevor James signature horns are still the only Asian saxes recommended, & sold ,by my tech, after his annual visits to Musicmesse in Germany .

He rates them highly on construction , durability, playability, and sound - "hidden gems?".

Blowhard2

#12 ·
Trevor James signature horns are still the only Asian saxes recommended, & sold ,by my tech, after his annual visits to Musicmesse in Germany .

He rates them highly on construction , durability, playability, and sound - "hidden gems?".

Blowhard2
All the putting together,soldering all parts,set up etc are done in the UK.

#13 ·
How come I haven't heard more of this horn?
I tried a few of these, they are OK but not outstanding. The Raw In tried was a good horn though, very reminiscent of a P.Mauriat (which can't be bad) but with the improved Magnum neck which makes them more free blowing and focussed.

All the putting together,soldering all parts,set up etc are done in the UK.
That might explain the cost then. I suppose it's a good thing to help the UK economy, but I think Taiwanese soldering and putting together probably sounds as good :)

#16 ·
Well???? I have a TJ Signature Custom Alto with a solid sterling silver bell, bow, and neck. The body tube is high-copper content brass and the keys are standard brass with yellow laquer. I was only interested in the horn because I was at NAMM 2012 and the well set-up TJ Custom tenor was easily one of the top tenors at the show, and we played them ALL!!! This alto is just wonderful!!! Beautiful sound with easy response!!! Pitch up high is different than my main alto (100,xxx MK VI), but works fine once I found out where to play it. Absoutely solid mechanism! I was looking for a back-up horn and ended-up getting a horn that's a great alternate for some musical situations!!!

The tenor I played didn't play at all like a PMauriat. It was much more Selmer-like in terms of sound and response; better,quicker!
I'd love to get my hands on a couple of tenors to choose one to take home! I still don't understand why they wouldn't make sure to have a US distributor???
The horns I played were much better than other instruments that are gaining market in the US!

#17 ·
Well???? I have a TJ Signature Custom Alto with a solid sterling silver bell, bow, and neck. The body tube is high-copper content brass and the keys are standard brass with yellow laquer. I was only interested in the horn because I was at NAMM 2012 and the well set-up TJ Custom tenor was easily one of the top tenors at the show, and we played them ALL!!! This alto is just wonderful!!! Beautiful sound with easy response!!! Pitch up high is different than my main alto (100,xxx MK VI), but works fine once I found out where to play it. Absoutely solid mechanism! I was looking for a back-up horn and ended-up getting a horn that's a great alternate for some musical situations!!!

The tenor I played didn't play at all like a PMauriat. It was much more Selmer-like in terms of sound and response; better,quicker!
I'd love to get my hands on a couple of tenors to choose one to take home! I still don't understand why they wouldn't make sure to have a US distributor???
The horns I played were much better than other instruments that are gaining market in the US!
I've had my new Sig custom Raw XS tenor about a month now.I've had a bunch of Mauriats,3 66ruls and and a 60NS nickel alto,tenor and agree the TJ plays nothing like like the Mauriats.I think the TJ is very MKVI sounding with that great compact focus vibe but with more power and projection.I nearly got the Andy Sheppard model but cash was not there.I'm sure i'll have 1 sooner or later.TJ have nailed it with there new Sig custom models.I'm very at home on mine in a very short space of time.

#30 ·
Deano enjoys stirring things up a bit, he gets his kicks that way, don't take it too personally.

#33 ·
I certainly wouldnt like to put the boot in on any new brit product, but Deano has a point, until the new kid on the block proves to be up there with the other contenders, its allways going to have a lower resale value.
I personally would enjoy to play a great british sax, only time will tell, but lets forget the hipe.

#34 ·
Do you guys use this kind of thinking when you buy a new car.I buy a new horn if i like it,is that not what we should all be doing if your in the market for a new sax.In the end if i have the cash and find a horn i want it goes home wit me.No matter the brand or cost.As for new kid i think they had a great rep before this newer pro model version.There older sig custom was a nice horn.There Raw sig custom has been about a while now and alot of guys have jumped on 1.

#39 ·
I think a sax is like woman, get to know her before you commit, no good if you find out later that she snores.

#43 ·
I'm picking a signature custom raw up tomorrow. I tried it and loads of others a few days ago. I'm taking up playing for pleasure now I'm older. I was serious about it up until mid 20's, but just too bloody nervous in solo recital at Music college. Now revisiting, I'm shocked at how ghastly bright a lot of new saxes are. For me, the TJ Raw was by far the best. I tried a top of the range Yagi (can't spell it). and for the price, couldn't believe that from G - A, the A was mega-sharp. The dynamics on the TJ were brill. I took all notes down to pp and it was 'easy'. Horses for courses I know, but I love the sound of my big-belled, TJ Signature RAW. I love old brass too :0)

#44 ·
I realize this is an old thread, but did want to add an update. There is now a N. American rep in Sandro Massullo of Burnaby, BC, and he's a wonderful guy to deal with. I LOVE my Signature Custom Vintage RAW tenor. Look, no one horn is right for everyone, right? But for me- the RAW is the finest horn I've ever played. It has as great a sound or better than my old MK VI, but is much more free-blowing. It's also as playable as the Selmer was, and the YTS-82ZII I played for over a year, but with much more soul and spread. Super impressed- it's my soul mate. A couple of minor niggles in the keywork, one of which is already being changed for the next iteration by Dave Farley at TJ. Peace guys!

#46 ·
Adding another update to an old thread! I've recently switched to a TJ Custom Raw alto. Got a brand new one for under £1900 GBP. It's a stunning saxophone, and unbelievable at this price. I chose this over a Rampone Solista and have sold my Ref 54. I would highly recommend anyone in the market for something new (and insanely good value in the UK anyway) to check them out.

#45 ·
I just acquired a signature custom raw Alto Trevor James Sax a few weeks ago - I had been playing a Yamaha YAS 62ii Alto, and am happy with it, but I'm liking the Trevor James a bit more - seems easier to get the low C and B tomes out at a low steady volume, and it seems ( and actually "feels") to resonate more on the low notes. I keep flipping back and forth from the Trevor James and the Yamaha, but am tending to favor the TJ sax more, for the tone, etc...Good intonation at the high end too ! The amusing thing is when I brought it to practice at the "Big Band" session, one of the other Sax players looked at the RAW sax and commented " Geepers - how old IS that thing ? Does it play??.....and then after hearing it he was trying to buy it from me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.