Sax on the Web Forum banner

Holy Cow! What's this?

7K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  gallois 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Interested? Eff yes!!!! Funds available, Eff Noooo! lol

That has been up there a LOOng time. There are some added to the collection, and some disappear occasionally. That is an awesome museum in wait though.

#6 ·
beautiful thought they are, the real jewel in this crown is only the conn-o-sax, the rest does occasionally come up for sale and has some socio-historical interest for a collector but not THAT kind of interest. Also interesting that someone went to the trouble to do a remake of the Manzello as an homage to Rahsaan Roland Kirk but that is a made up instrument, exactly as Kirk's was.

The conn-osax hasn't really got a " market" price , there should be less than 40 still around and unless someone will find a closet in some old building in Elkhart full of them, that's it, there aren't any others. Even if, as many keep asking, Steve Wedgwood or the likes of him would ever have some made in China to be sold to the masses of frustrated wannabe conn-o-saxers (?) , they aren't going to be the " real McCoy" but a copy.

So, if the mighty Quinn the eskimo can ask, and not get, 100,000$ for his conn-o-sax then drricknyc can ask for 155,000$..... who knows! Everything is possible!

actually our own saxtec Randy Emerick does own one too......... it doesn't seem to be easy to play

#7 ·
Nope. It requires the same amount of dedication and practice as any other saxophone, and for me, a stiffer reed than I usually use. Since the gigs for Conn-O-Sax in Florida are few (And I'll assume it's the same elsewhere), it's hard to sound like you've been playing Conn-O-Sax regularly, at least it's hard for me.

#8 ·
No disrespect intended.

I think that obviously such a piece of history has its quirks , could it be that the mouthpiece that it comes with can be improved?

If you ever decide in favour of such approach I could direct you to someone who could make a 3D model of your mouthpiece and then make a new version with an improved curve to take a softer reed.

#11 ·
Well...Quinn and Rick...or anyone else.... can ask whatever price they like...that doesn't mean it is anywhere near a real value.

...even if the Conn-o could get $95,000....that still makes the other 8 at $60,000 all overpriced.....

SaxTek.....is it just the scale of the Conn-o mouthpiece that is different ? or are there some other elements to the specs which make it...'appropriate' for that instrument ????

#13 ·
I don't know if you noticed all of the additional instruments included in the sale(Grafton etc.) on the web page for the collection, under the list of 9 main horns. The Bass sax alone is between 7-10 grand. I think these instruments are at about the proper sale price, for someone who wants to open an exhibit. For just a player, no.

#15 ·
#18 ·
Milandro, that is an awesome building! What museum is that? Once of these days I'll make it to your country, I definately would like to go there (possibly after a visit to the H,M & H museum, lol).

The coolest museum here isn't nearly as attractive, but very diverse: http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/
They are constantly changing exhibits, I think that sax collection would be great to be shown right next to the African American Heritage museum, which is excellent. I highly recommend checking it out if you are ever here.

#20 ·
This is the newly re-opened (the day before Yesterday really) " Stedelijk Museum" the Modern art museum of Amsterdam, which underwent a long and radical re-building.

Unfortunately I don't come to the USA as often as I used to , although not in California, and I definitely would like to do that!

#19 ·
The MIM in Phoenix is amazing. It has lots of famous guitars, and lots of famous costumes, loads of ethnic instruments, as well as an instrument 'petting zoo' that has everything from theremins to gamelons. They have a couple of MK VI's on display as well as a conn-o-sax. You don't get to play those, though....

http://www.themim.org/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.