A brand new Yamaha 225

\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \n
\r\n trice\r\n \r\n
\n\r\n \ntrice est déconnecté\r\n\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n trice\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \n
Mentioned
0 Post(s)
\r\n
Tagged
0 Thread(s)
\r\n\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n

\r\n Default A brand new Yamaha 225\r\n

\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n I checked out a Yamaha YFL-225SII on craigslist the other day. Sure enough, as advertised, it was brand new, unplayed, still sealed in plastic. The price was shamefully low.
\r\n
\r\nI want to share some observations:
\r\n
\r\nMade in Japan. Build quality is excellent. Plays extremely well out of the box. Seals up completely and is well-regulated.
\r\n
\r\nThe headjoint is different than those on older 225\'s I have played. The older ones were quite rectuangular - this one is more oval and looks and plays like the ones that come with newer 221\'s. Quite a good headjoint, IMO.
\r\n
\r\nThe keywork is quiet and feels nice under the fingers. With one exception. The G keys make a metalic "clink" when released. It seems the kicker has some hard material instead of felt like the other kickers. Cork or synthetic cork, maybe. And I wonder if it has hardened while sitting in storage? I will have to replace this with felt and then the whole flute will be nice and quiet.
\r\n
\r\nYou can get a lot of bang-for-your-buck with these student Yamahas! Does it play as well as my Yamaha 674? No. Is the tone as nice? Nope. But a great little flute nonetheless.
\r\n
\r\nI put this flute into a Calzone flight case I picked up from a fellow SOTW member and it will be my "trunk flute."\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n\n\n'; // next/previous post info pn[1863892] = "1863892,1863892"; pn[0] = ",1863892"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[43877] = "trice"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010 trice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A brand new Yamaha 225

I checked out a Yamaha YFL-225SII on craigslist the other day. Sure enough, as advertised, it was brand new, unplayed, still sealed in plastic. The price was shamefully low.

I want to share some observations:

Made in Japan. Build quality is excellent. Plays extremely well out of the box. Seals up completely and is well-regulated.

The headjoint is different than those on older 225's I have played. The older ones were quite rectuangular - this one is more oval and looks and plays like the ones that come with newer 221's. Quite a good headjoint, IMO.

The keywork is quiet and feels nice under the fingers. With one exception. The G keys make a metalic "clink" when released. It seems the kicker has some hard material instead of felt like the other kickers. Cork or synthetic cork, maybe. And I wonder if it has hardened while sitting in storage? I will have to replace this with felt and then the whole flute will be nice and quiet.

You can get a lot of bang-for-your-buck with these student Yamahas! Does it play as well as my Yamaha 674? No. Is the tone as nice? Nope. But a great little flute nonetheless.

I put this flute into a Calzone flight case I picked up from a fellow SOTW member and it will be my "trunk flute."