Sax on the Web Forum banner

Metal Thumbhook

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JL 
#1 ·
I have a late (239,xxx) Mark VI. It has a plastic thumbhook. I just experimented with my student horn's metal thumbhook on it to see how it felt compared to the plastic one. With the metal thumbhook, I noticed that the sax sounded and felt a lot better to play, especially in the lower octave. Has anyone else ever tried this? Did you hear/feel a difference too?

#2 ·
Personally I doubt there is any effect, but I am sure someone will be certain to the contrary.
One thing I know for certain, is that the plastic Selmer thumbhooks are more slippery and harder to grip. Metal is a much better surface. I don't like it when the thumbhook slides around, especially if the hand gets sweaty or moist.

#5 ·
I have looked around online and found out that some people think it does make a difference and some people don't. I do, because I was just switching them for comfort, and I noticed a difference. I switched between the hooks over and over because I thought it might be in my head. I definitely think there is a difference now, though.

milnak:
Not sure if you are being serious or not, but I wonder if that makes a difference too.

#6 ·
Before the smarmy posts stream in, I'd say it's highly doubtful that it impacts the sound. I hated the metal thumbrest on my horn, went to town by putting a whole bunch of Sugru silicon to make it rubbery and more comfy. Easier to play and the same exact sound.

You could test by playing low Bb, keep playing while putting the bottom half of the sax underwater. I'd wager it'll sound exactly the same. Your ease of playing could just be the secondary effect from the metal being more ergonomically comfortable. Could maybe be the tactile feedback of the metal vibrating more than metal too.

#7 ·
Most of what changed was the feeling of the lower octave. It felt easier to get the notes out, it was more free blowing, but it definitely opened the sound up a bit too.

#8 ·
I'm not sure if it altered my sound, but changing from a plastic to a metal thumbhook definitely altered the ergonomics, in a good way!

#9 ·
maybe it's just more comfortable, therefore easier to play, and that's why it sounds better.
That would be the only reasonable explanation, IF there really is a difference. It's probably true that any change could alter how you play the horn, but I'll say it straight out: There is no way no how the composition of the thumbhook is the explanation.

It's a moot point though. Just use the thumbhook that's more comfortable and be done with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.