Sax on the Web Forum banner

1968 Selmer Mk VI

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  AG 
#1 ·
I am working on a deal for a 1968 MKVI Tenor. The horn is owned by a elderly old former pro musician. He is the second owner in the early 80's.

The horn is in very good condition. The only question is if it has original lacquer and that I cant play it first because its on the other side of the country.

I have bought a horn from him before. The horn has sat untouched for nearly 25yrs so that could explain why the lacquer is in such good shape.

How do I know if this is a US assembled horn or french?

how much would it be worth? if it is relacquered hown much less?

thanks

#6 ·
How do I know if this is a US assembled horn or french?

how much would it be worth? if it is relacquered hown much less?

thanks
French assembled horns have different engraving,which is very similar to the current "butterfly" pattern on current Selmer horns, or no engraving , since it was an option outside the U. S. French assembled lacquer is lighter (clearer in color) as opposed to the more "golden" American lacquer. French lacquer doesn't seem to darken as quickly, so a '68 French finish (similar to my '69 French assembled Tenor) will look "newer" than you would expect on an American horn.

#7 ·
To add to the above, My '69 was engraved after lacquering so there is corrosion in the area of the engraving. I believe this has always been the case with both American and French Selmers. I would be suspicious of a re-lacquer if there wasn't some corrosion around the engraving after 30 + years.

#10 ·
If MARK VI is engraved on the bow to bell ring it is an american assembled horn--it shouldn't matter at all whether it's euro or US assembled and especially at that price. Shouldn't matter if it's a relax at that price either--relacs very rarely affect the greatness of these tenors...if its an alto....well then it isn't really a saxophone but a child's toy.

#15 ·
Shouldn't matter if it's a relax at that price either--relacs very rarely affect the greatness of these tenors...if its an alto....well then it isn't really a saxophone but a child's toy.
Tenor - It's all that matters.

+1 on the deal if it's $4k. You can afford to get a good overhaul and have a fine horn.

#11 ·
Sounds like a fantastic deal to me. Relacqs (well done ones) tend to devalue a sax only from a collectors viewpoint. My '74 is a relacq, I got a great deal on it and it plays great!

#14 ·
If MARK VI is engraved on the bow to bell ring it is an american assembled horn-
Both my French assembled Tenor and my American Alto have "Mark VI" engraved on the bow ring. The lack of it will possibly indicate French but it being there does not indicate American, since Selmer France, must have varied the engraving at certain periods. The engraving pattern is the way to tell. However, this really should not be a concern. There is no difference except cosmetics. There is an old wive's tale about Selmer, France sending the best horns to the States, which is silly on several levels. Does anyone really believe that the independent French Selmer Company would send the best stuff out and keep the rejects for themselves ---come on! Also, American horns arrived as unlacquered unengraved parts, so any testing in France was probably pretty cursory, based on the fact that the horns had to be disassemled to ship.

#17 ·
If you can get it for $4k or less, most of what you are asking about doesn't really matter. What matters most in any case is playing condition (you'll need to spend more to get it into top shape) and how well it plays/sounds. I realize you can't play test it, but at that price if you don't like it, you can easily sell it on. I bet it will be a very good horn, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.