Sax on the Web Forum banner

You know you are a C-Melody player when....

43K views 230 replies 39 participants last post by  Sax Repair Crew 
#1 ·
A pad falls out of your saxophone while you are playing it. :bluewink:

#209 ·
Fanny...just a 'bit' more trouble than calling a Bonnet a Hood. Or a Boot a Trunk. lol
'Course, in this the US, someone from across the pond might make the mistake of asking the wrong person for a f@g.

#215 ·
Great, we can beat the system by adding an s......opens all sorts of opportunities. For example, we can now mention several carnal encounters by their vernacular and lewd description, but not use it's singular form as an expletive. :)
We appear to have wandered off topic....must be unique on this forum.

#216 ·
...We appear to have wandered off topic....must be unique on this forum.
Yes, that's never happened to me before - but we're on the way to 12 pages, so keep deviating...

'Profanity checkers' are weirder than C-Mel players - of which I'm now grateful seemingly not to be one... (the latter, that is) I have female Collie, who can legitimately be called a b*tch - because that's what female dogs are in the canine world - b*tches ! But can I get it past the sodding profanity checker ???? Nah !

Thudd - words are usually checked against a mostly 'manually' entered list of profanities/exclusions on blogs and forums. As we speak, probably a keen moderator is duplicating all the swear words (in the exclusion list) with plural versions :tsk: - human fallibility, don't you just love it ? Although we don't seem to get a lot of moderator activity in this niche, probably 'cos we're a boring bunch of old farts (testing, testing... :bluewink:)

( substitute '*' with an 'i' )

#219 ·
Nice horn Mark, very sensibly priced...

Off topic - again - I've often thought that speed camera's incorporated in those radar signs would be a real revenue earner ! Thank goodness no-one else seems to have had the same thought...

#220 ·
You talk of "speed cameras"....some believe that the correct description is "revenue" cameras.
The example to which I referred however is on an unrestricted road (actually 60 MPH) & is sited only because Nigel thinks that I am approaching a corner too quickly....&, despite the fact that I have been using this road for 20 years, Nigel knows best...well he would, he works for the Council. :evil:

Mark.
Very nice horn...best of luck with the sale.

#223 ·
... when you play a mouthpiece that cost more than your horn.

... when you drop your sax and figure it would cost less to replace it than to fix it.

... when you have to explain to sax players what your horn is, as often as you have to explain to normal people why a sax is a woodwind (or that a soprano sax isn't a clarinet).

I've been playing my '25 Buescher C-mel along with the usual quartet. This is a fun little instrument.

#224 ·
IBeOmega, as well as C-Mels, I enjoy playing curved Bb Soprano, and the best very playable 'affordable' one I've found so far (obviously not talking at the Yani level :( ) is a generic Chinese 'Mirage' which not only has a Lawton mouthpiece on it which is worth more than the sax, it also travels in a Reunion leather case which, again, is worth more than the sax !

The only thing cheaper than it are the reeds :bluewink2:

If you really want to buck the trend, you could always pay $7000 for Rudy Vallee's C-Melody...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rudy-Vallees-C-MELODY-SAXOPHONE-/121024604991

#226 ·
Lol I don't use sheet music much so I don't have that problem. I also tend to use my C-mel for impromptu jams at bonfires and such.

I played a Vito soprano (no Yani and I doubt a Yamaha) for about a year before I got my Yamaha 61. As much as I disliked that horn, it was better than no soprano... well, after I got the band director's permission to service it anyway.

#228 ·
...when the only clarinet you enjoy playing is also in C, and then begins the hunt for a Bb clari mouthpiece that has acceptable tuning (a lot come up flat) tone and intonation on a C :bluewink: Sound familiar ????

(btw, it turns out to be either a Brilhart ebolin that I had in the drawer - that sounds naff on a Bb clari - or for a more conventional sound a Vandoren B45)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.