Sax on the Web Forum banner

You know you are a C-Melody player when....

43K views 230 replies 39 participants last post by  Sax Repair Crew 
#1 ·
A pad falls out of your saxophone while you are playing it. :bluewink:

#97 ·
Of course I appreciate the great difference between Bb Tenor and C. I am looking for a Tenor sound when I pick up my S20 - then my heroes are tenor players. When I play C-melody I value the 'classic' bassoon-like sound. It makes me look for a different way of improvising. Of course I would not take my C to a jam session - with no microphones present people would say: great piano trio, but what is that person doing on stage with that weird alto saxophone? So at present I play it at home and - sorry my Captain - with accompaniment from a uke (a resonator one though).
Yes, as an instrument that is confined between the walls of ones home, i think everybody here will agree, it is a great succes. Now for the rest of the world!

#106 ·
It is rumoured that the legendary Ernie Watts once played a C-Mel solo with Frank Zappa... :bluewink:

And I fully agree about C-Soprano, much more standard beast than a C-Mel, fun to pay - just a tiny bit friskier 'cos it's heading towards 'nino territory, so it's a bit anti-social to go above high C (C3), and harmonics, well :tsk:....

#108 ·
If you didn't know already, you must understand, that I am weird.

I believe that any instrument voice can fit in any style and it can be rewarding and fulfilling. Recorder + Heavy metal = yes. Bassoon, mandolin, even an acoustic guitar... so long as there are at least 2 other electric guitars with distortion keeping it 'metal.' The acoustic could play a nice solo over the metal and it could sound very expressive in the way that only an acoustic guitar can...
My mind is open to the limitless possibilities of any instrument. I would like to see a metal band with a horn section. Orchestra metal is already popular, with cellos and violins accompanying or even soloing with epic metal. Opera metal is prevalent.

What about ska-metal.... or jazz metal?

Yes if I knew how to play the bassoon I am sure I would play it live at a gig in a metal song... that kind of unexpected edge really gets people excited.

I of course still intend to get a tenor so that I can play with that voice, and add it to my arsenal :twisted:

I wish I had footage but at one gig I had a pit of metal heads headbanging to me playing with my group on a small 1$ uke that I found at a garage sale. And to me, that makes it all worth it...

#109 ·
If you didn't know already, you must understand, that I am weird.
I believe that any instrument voice can fit in any style and it can be rewarding and fulfilling. .......
Absolutely ! For instant effect, occasional use, variety, tone colour, or whatever, I too have a very open mind - but would you want to play every number on a $1 uke, night after night ? I wouldn't want to play every number on a C, for it to become my main sax, whetever. I think we'll always have to disagree Danny, 'cos - despite my liking for C's - I was arguing that I'd need to have a real tenor or an alto in my arsenal when confronted by bloody loud guitarists who don't take prisoners !

That's why a lot of sax players (including me) are 'doublers' - one sax doesn't fit all, it is all about tone colours. But, that said, I wouldn't commit musical suicide, even if the sound man was a genius... Go on, try a Bb tenor !

#112 ·
Well thank you for the advice cmelodysax... I most certainly will be getting a Bb tenor, but the C will always be my 'main' horn forever. In my band I play drums, bass, recorder, ocarina, keys, uke, and guitar as well from song to song... so playing just the C as my main sax really wouldn't bother me. I will soon be acquiring a banjo as well! The requirement to join my band agreed by the founding members is that any member must play at least 2 instruments at a decent level and be fully prepared to switch on stage, not only switch instruments but also genres. Its going to be our little "gimmick" if you will.

We are finding that we easily get booked with ska bands, metal bands, punk bands, jam bands, really any bands. Its been really amazing climbing the ladder one rung at a time...

Yes Captain, I am lucky my band is about having fun and making people move... not about being loud. The Denver live music scene is full of great venues and people to the extent that we are almost spoiled out here, almost.

#114 ·
Prove it. Go back there and get a picture of one... :twisted: :bluewink:

Until then it must remain open to question...

#116 ·
I'll quickly interject here :tsk: to say that

a) I suspect Beeflat's "there are faeries at the bottom of my garden" was a purely rhetorical statement, and that

b) Danny, it does seem that the 'younger generations' idea of rock/heavy metal is somewhat at odds with that of us more mature saxophone warriors, steeped (as we were) in the 50/60/70's heyday of 'real' rock...

Hows the Soprano coming ?

#122 ·
Haha I don't use the ocarina on our "rock" songs I reserve that one for folk. I have heard the statement about faeries before... I have met a few people from across the pond. The soprano upper stack C#, C, B, Bb, A, and G is completed and padded and plays... in the first register. Lots to go still but I still get to head to graduation this morning, I still got an A!

#117 ·
Y'know, it's kinda funny... I started playing my King C-Tenor in the church orchestra helping out the single alto we had at the time. We now have four altos and I switched to Bb-Tenor to help out the trombone by playing the 2nd part. Now, the trombone player says he has trouble hitting the high notes of the 1st part and prefers the 2nd! I'm having to add the 1st part by pencil. I'm going back to the C-Tenor for those 1st parts as it should be just as much work to transpose for C as it is to add the 1st part! Besides, I actually have more fun with the C-Tenor!

#119 ·
Besides, I actually have more fun with the C-Tenor!
Steve. As you know, I am exceedingly fond of C tenors...I too have great fun with mine; but, it it simply a case of playing the instrument which is most suitable for the occasion.
Beethoven's 5th symphony would perhaps lack something played on amplified Strat & tenor sax.....just as a C mel & ocarina would not be presented at their best in a REAL rock band (thank you cmelodysax for understanding).
Of course, a C Mel would be more suitable in church....not as suitable perhaps as an organ. :bluewink:

#120 ·
You know you are a C-Melody player when.... you carefully trim a half inch off the metal shanks of no less than four tenor mouthpieces (two Guardala LT <Studio/ Crescent>, Selmer "Jazz" D, ARB 6) to find that "sweet spot" match with your C-Mel.

(ARB and Crescent both just about perfect with Conn, good with King- both noticeably less bright than when used with a tenor sax)

#121 ·
You know you are a C-Melody player when.... you carefully trim a half inch off the metal shanks
Henry - that just gave me a good excuse to stop playing Conn C's with microtuner necks... :mrgreen: If I want a stretch alto sound, I'll play alto standing up :faceinpalm:

No problem with tenor mouthpiece shank length on Martin or King C's !

(did do it once, but not on a favourite tenor 'piece :bluewink: )

#124 ·
#126 ·
So, I am tempted to give my Conn C-melody an overhaul (which I joked about some posts back). I will do the overhaul myself.

It is just like the one here with the same satin gold plated finish and floral engraving, rolled tone holes. It also has the straight neck with microtuner that I just managed to get working after it being stuck (thanks to beautiful info on the web). Serial no 120xxx.
http://cybersax.com/features/Conn_108k_GPC.html

There is a small pad on the lower LH side of the horn that closes at the same time as the E-key. I read somewhere that many like to keep this pad closed all the time. What's the recommendation?

#128 ·
I don't repair my saxes myself. But I had a Conn tenor and still have my Conn C-melody (silver plate, not gold - you lucky bastard). On both horns I had my tech keep the pad open - it is there for an alternate fingering of Eb. Play D and lift your middle finger and presto, an Eb comes out. The note can sound a bit stuffy (though on my tenor that wasn't the case) but it comes in very handy going from Bb, B, C or Db to Eb.
I've seen a lot of mentions that the regulating of this pad is hard to do - but my tech could do it and it stayed regulated just fine.

#129 ·
Patrik - hello - I also like to keep it working , if possible. just because it's there...

You'll need the hole to seal properly anyway, so why not go ahead and repad it. Normally they either work well, or they just don't - so you then have the option of cork/springing it shut if it's a pain to adjust (or the mechanism is so bad it's not worth the effort).

After all, you got the microtuner working - so why not try for "all original" ? The very best of luck, have fun,
Alan.

#134 ·
You know your A C Mel player when you start looking at cases trying to figure out if a large alto case or a small tenor case will fit it better.

Great thread. I am new to woodwinds, finally got my first sax(Pan American C Mel) operational. I did the repad myself, and I am really happy with the sound I am getting with resonator pads, even though they are cheap pads(didn't want to screw up an expensive set). I have a Bruno Royal Artist(Conn Stencil) which is in a bit rougher shape(but no dings or dents on the body), so I will take my time and do a first class job on it.

So I say...

You know you're a C Mel player when you buy two C Mel Conn stencils on eBay before learning to play a note and still love the experience. I am taking clarinet lessons, but now that the Pan Am is operational I think I'll switch to sax. I really have a better feel for the big horn, though my neighbors might not. When I get an alto, they might like the C Mel better.

I now see I picked the right sax to learn, literally from the inside out. lol

#137 ·
You know you're a C-Melody player when you realise that this is one of the few places where you're encouraged to talk about your C's...

C'mon guys, we've got to get 8 pages...

#138 ·
"Encouraged"......it is the only place where you even dare to talk about them. Even then one awaits an acerbic comment from Grumps or Juan.
A true C melody player usually has several (because they are just so pretty & dinky)....but plays a Bb tenor in public.

#141 ·
What's really annoying is that the fingers still go for the 'Bb tenor keys' in all the jazz standards... Seems a little strange, if not unwieldy, to play them a tone down !

I can start the melody in the right key for a C instrument, but suddenly find I've moved up a tone once I start improvising - chord sequences must be etched into my brain, muscle memory over-rides logic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.