Sax on the Web Forum banner

Lost mouthpiece

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  littlewailer 
#1 ·
Sorry for taking your time with this:
A couple of monts ago a canadian SOTW user, smonkman, was selling some pieces (http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...-Greg-Weir-SAT)...
I wrote him offering my tenor wood Barone 7* as trade for his Barone Jazz. He was worried because my piece was made of wood. He stated that it is more fragile. I offered to send my mpc in advance, for his inspection. So, we had a pre-deal... Some days after I sent him my piece, he wrote on SOTW that his Barone piece was sold! I wrote him an e-mail and he apologised saying that he needed the money and selling was better for him instead the trade. He said as soon as my mpc arrives his place, he would send it back. I sent my piece on Nov, 16 and never got it back...
Even living in Brazil, I never had a single web buy fault. Several mpcs, two flutes and my former horn, a tenor Ref 54, bought on SOTW or Ebay with no loss. Strange. I wrote (e-mails and PMs) him several times... Sometimes he answer, sometimes he doesn't. When he does, he says that he never received the piece...

I'm not blaming him but I'd like to know your opinion...

Many thanks!

Claudio
(Brazil)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi littlewailer,

Tks for helping! Mouthpiece arrived his place... Shane feels it got stuck on customs... I believe it is safe now.

The tracking method I used works only while piece is inside brazilian territory...
http://websro.correios.com.br/sro_bin/txect01$.Inexistente?P_LINGUA=002&P_TIPO=002&P_COD_LIS=RQ054549802BR
It only says when piece was delivered to Canada...

Yours,
Claudio

#5 ·
Thats the fine folks at Canada Post for you.:)

They have never yet actually lost anything of mine, but I can send stuff from here to England (3500 miles) quicker than to Toronto (100 miles), and it costs $6 to ship a small package internationally from Seattle in the US, but $15 to ship across Canada from Vancouver....

Glad your mouthpiece arrived anyway, and I wish it well on its return voyage!

#6 ·
I've shipped mpcs to the US via Canada Post, and it has taken four or five days for the mpc to leave Canadian soil, bizarre.
That's a monopoly for you.

#7 ·
I recently sold a tenor piece to a Canadian member and it after arrived in Canada it took ages before it was delivered to him, even though it had already been cleared from Canadian customs. The system does seem to be rather slow in Canada. But it looks like at least it is safe.

#11 ·
When an item is being shipped to me from the US by Priority Mail Int'l, I first track it on usps.com, and then, after it leaves the regional ISC (International Service Centre), I track it on canadapost.ca with the same tracking number. This method gives me more detailed info about the item coming into Canada than usps.com.

With USPS First Class Mail Int'l, there is a tracking number used by USPS and Canada Post to ship and track the item and split the postage revenue, but the customers do not get a tracking number that will give them any info.

#13 ·
It always amuses me when Canada Post gets trashed.......they deal with millions of items of freight on a daily basis and we only seem to concentrate on the very very small amount of issues.....I have used them for all my many transactions without a hitch for many years.....it is the least costly way to ship something and that is why most people use them......if you want it there overnight use UPS or Fed Ex and pay the extra cost otherwise give them a break......all this does is stop people like me getting mpcs horns and the such as we tend to scare off potential sellers for a unfair reason.......just saying....most of the issues are at the border which is out of their control......

#14 ·
While I agree that they do get the job done and stuff arrives safe and sound, I do have to wonder why a 6x6x8 box shipped from the west coast of the US can cost half as much to ship (despite crossing the border) as the same box from the west coast of Canada... it cant all be economy of scale in the US (pop 350M vs 35M)

Its still no reason for people to not want to ship internationally to Canada though, and as pointed out, there are other options available for more expedited service if people want to pay for them. Personally from the US I would go with the USPS every time, its the best value for money.

The bottom line with regard to Canada Post is, as you say, its still the cheapest option.

#19 ·
After the recent history of this mouthpiece, the minimum that I would expect from the person who has to send it would be good communication and a tracking number. Good luck, Claudio!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.