It finally happened has this ever happened to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It finally happened has this ever happened to you?

I sat in on a couple tunes on my soprano tonight with a nice band of "semi" students who moved on.

A lady came up and very nicely said, "I loved what you did you are really one with the saxophone."

What a blessing she was. I've only been playing soprano again since August after six years off of it. I really feel like the soprano is my thing and not because of that its more an inner feeling of not really thinking about it too much just playing it.

She said she was not a musician and it made me feel very peaceful.

Anybody here had that happen and what was you reaction too it? I would really like to know.
    My actions are my only true possession they are the ground on which I stand. Thich Nhat Hahn

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It finally happened has this ever happened to you?

Never happened to me. revel in your good feelings for a while and use the memory of the moment to get you through any future rough spots. You're allowed to feel good about yourself... Just dig it.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice experience.
    Am I very lucky, as it happened to me now and then ? Soprano sax and Bb clarinet seem to be THE horns. High pitch ?
    I used to play in a traditional jazz band also covering some evergreens and chanson française. We had a monthly gig in a local restaurant, and people kept coming on a regular basis, and each time we played Bechet's hits (Petite Fleur, Les Rues d'Antibes), I had elderly ladies and gents coming to me and thanking us for making their evening.
    My reaction ? To thank life for that unique opportunity of practicing a hobby which can make others feel happy. It continues to motivate me to play music people like to hear and to make sure I'm not lost in some absurd pointless perfectionism.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I do weddings and clubs a lot people come up to me and say nice things usually .It does make you feel good and of course I thank them but I dont take any credence in what they say because I basically know how Im doing .Sometimes when I think Im having my worst set and the reed sucks people say yea that was great and other times when I feel like everything is clicking I get no reaction.Weird ,I do listen to what the musicians have to say though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JD I hear you. The musicians I really like to play with now never say a word about music or playing unless its like a roadmap on a chart.
    My actions are my only true possession they are the ground on which I stand. Thich Nhat Hahn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I happens to me a lot but only when i play my flutes lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Since I do weddings and clubs a lot people come up to me and say nice things usually .It does make you feel good and of course I thank them but I dont take any credence in what they say because I basically know how Im doing .Sometimes when I think Im having my worst set and the reed sucks people say yea that was great and other times when I feel like everything is clicking I get no reaction.Weird ,I do listen to what the musicians have to say though.
    JD...my thoughts exactly! Strange how that is...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most moving compliment I can recall was in a small church after a memorial service. I had played Ellington's Come Sunday on a Buescher New Aristocrat alto. An elderly lady told me "I have never heard a saxophone I liked the sound of - until today. It was beautiful and moving. Thank you." No - thank you, I thought.

But sometimes the best compliment is silence. While you play, of course.
    "80 years passed before we heard the tenor...in the hands of cads with centre partings & co-respondent's shoes. They squeezed syrupy, farting, oleaginous sounds from their cavernous chambers & microscopic tip openings." –Captain Beeflat, 2013

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent New Year's Eve at my rural cabin. Around 11, I got inspired and took my tenor out on the deck for a rendition of Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone. When I finished, I heard applause from a neighbor's place about a mile away and somebody screaming for an encore. I told my instructor that it was great, but they were probably drunk. She said "welcome to my world." Still fun.

Mark

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulwl View Post
    But sometimes the best compliment is silence. While you play, of course.
    Hah! Yes. I recall a fan in Idaho, a couple decades ago, that would "encourage" people sitting around him to be quiet while I was playing. He was a BIG guy and seemed to command a reasonable amount of respect - I never heard anyone get upset by his request as he was quite polite.

Congrats, vonbraig - cherish that memory.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.