Sax on the Web Forum banner

Martin Handcraft Tenor

11K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Thomsax 
#1 ·
I scored a Martin Handcraft Tenor Sax today...SN 126XXX with the art deco type engraving. It is an old high school horn that has been 'rode hard and put away wet' so to speak. It plays down to a low 'D' kind of, sort of, but really needs a complete overhaul including a bit of dent repair.

My first Tenor way back when I was 17 was a 1960's Martin 'The Martin' model. I sold it when I was in my 20's (at my wife's 'urging') after buying a Selmer Balanced Action Tenor.

Can anyone give me a ballpark for age of this horn based on the serial number ?

It looks a lot like a Selmer 'SSS' kind of vintage with LH bell keys and a triangular pants guard.

It is marked 'LOW PITCH' so to me that puts it in the 1930's or maybe 1940's...?

I think that I'd like to spend a little money to get this one back 'happening'.

#2 ·
1938-'39 thereabouts.

I LIKE these horns..everyone pays attention to the Committee II and III models (III = "The Martin"), but these older Handcrafts are fine instruments. In worked up shape they are worth about $700-800.

I think they are definitely worth investing that much $ into. Will that get you a "full overhaul" ? I dunno...depends upon where you are in NY and what techs are available.

#3 ·
It would be a Committee series one from 1937. These are some of the finest tenors ever made and worth making into a player. A really mint one should bring about $1,200-1,500 and even a ratty one in playing condition will be about $600. Post a link to a photo and we can tell more. The engraving should be the "skyline" where there is a city at the bottom with searchlights shining upward at some stars, an airplane in a deco pattern. Although these say Handcraft, the term is usually for the ones from the 20s. Here is a site that Ed has in Holland and very good: http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/
My main tenor is a Handcraft Imperial and it is a great horn.

#5 ·
Here is a photo...although not a very good one.

This horn needs a complete overhaul and also has been relacquered during its lifetime...it has one pretty good sized dent in the bell. It's hard to see any detail becasue of the oxidation of the finish. The neck is in good condition.

Attachments

#6 ·
I had both the alto and tenor of this Handcraft Comm 1 for several years, and I really liked them. Great in all registers, solid nickel keys for fast, fleet action, and a warm dark tone that really opens up to a roar when pushed. I sold them 6 months ago, and I still miss them.
Are you sure this is a Bb tenor? Perhaps it is just the angle from which your photographed it, but it looks a bit like a C melody to me (height of the bell against the LH pinky stack).
Anyway, these "searchlight" altos and tenors are fine horns, and I would have happily had them as my "only" horns if need be. The baritone version even has the alternate F# key that is so conspicuously absent on the Comm III ("The Martin" Baritone). Plus, these horns have the most comfortable LH thumbrest on the planet.
Sax Magic

#8 ·
It is an old high school horn that has been 'rode hard and put away wet' so to speak.
I'd be very interested to know whether you, or your tech, can find any evidence of tone hole corrosion. From what you've said about this tenor, it's previous lifestyle may have put it in the "at risk category". I know some folks say it's only with the later Martin models that this easily fixable problem occasionally occurs but I'm not sure. Your answer might be helpful. Thanks.

#10 ·
The Comm 1 horns say "Martin Handcraft" on the bell engraving. However, there are earlier Handcraft; while also good horns, these earlier Handcraft lack the high C# adjuster key on the alto that makes the high register intonation much better in all notes above high C natural. The Comm 1 is most definitely the "searchlight/Mars attacks/airplane cityscape" engraving. whether on alto, tenor, or bari.
Sax Magic

#11 ·
I also have a Martin Handcraft aka Comm I, #128 XXX. It's closer to the CommII than the earlier Comm I models. No searchlight engraving on this one.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?action=view&current=DSC_0045.jpg

I have some Martin saxes and none are suffering from bad toneholes soldering. I try to keep the toneholes as dry as possible. I use pad savers. They reach the tonehole joints on the tube.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have some Martin saxes and none are suffering from bad toneholes soldering. I try to keep the toneholes as dry as possible. I use pad savers. They reach the tonehole joints on the tube.
I'm pleased to hear that none of your Martins have tone hole corrosion. That appears to be the case with the vast majority of Martin saxophones. This whole subject has been comprehensively, and exhaustively, discussed elsewhere in the Martin section. What I'm specifically asking is does this Martin tenor, recently acquired by Thurruff, that we have been told may not always have received the love every Martin deserves show any evidence of this easily fixed problem. The answer could be revealing.

#15 ·
@ Jaye...Yes it has the city & searchlights motif on the bell...also a star up in the 'sky' but no airplane...unless the airplane was complately buffed off during the relacquer.

@ Alley Cat...I'll try to take a closer look at the tone holes later today and post a reply.

Here's a close-up of the bell that shows the engraving a bit better.

Attachments

#21 ·
@ Jaye....unless the airplane was complately buffed off during the relacquer.

@ Alley Cat...I'll try to take a closer look at the tone holes later today and post a reply.
Tharruff, Your airplane hasn't flown away ! It can be clearly seen on your 'photo of the bell. It's not caught in the searchlight beam, where you might expect it to be, but quite low down having just taken off.

Bruce Bailey's post No.20 says everything anyone will ever need to know about tone hole corrosion. If it is the "ticking time bomb" that one deservedly well respected, but slightly mischievous, forum member once described it as being it may take some hundreds of years, if not longer, before the ticking stops.

I once took my Comm I with me for comparison with a very highly regarded, two year old, top make sax that was for sale and had once belonged to professional player Andy Sheppard. At the end of a couple of hours playing both horns in the seller's living room we both had to admit that the Martin was, as the seller put it, "a far better saxophone". I came home with my cash. Tharruff, as others have already said, I don't think you'll be disappointed with your Martin once it's been restored.

#17 ·
That's interesting! I thought the Handcraft Strandard was the bridge between Comm I and Comm II? Solid nickelsilver keys, adjustable RH thumbrest .... . So it's almost a second line sax? Now I must get my Comm II tenor in playable condition. But the Handcraft Standard is a killer. One of best saxes I've ever played.

#18 ·
@ Alley Cat...I shined a bright flashlight on the horn both outside and in and looked at all the toneholes as much as I could. I don't 'see' any signs of tone hole corrosion. Although I didn't read any of the 'ehaustive postings' about 'tone hole corrosion' in the Martin forum so maybe I just don't know what to look for...this horn is not in good playing condition either, so I can't say that there might be a (or even many) small leak(s) caused by tone hole corrosion...sorry that I can't be more definitive...

#20 ·
Don't worry too much about the tone holes. I have about 20 Martins and have owned or worked on many more and so far in 48 years, I have only had about 3 leaks. Usually they get dented next to the hole causing leaks. I prefer not to resolder as it is very hard to get them exactly where they were and if it is only a 60% area leak, it can be easily filled with some epoxy from the inside leaving the outside looking good. Take the key off, mix a little JB Weld, spread it around the crack, wipe off the excess and leave it for a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.