Sax on the Web Forum banner

Useable Modern Horn? Cool Piece of History? Both?

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  rucadulu 
#1 ·
I purchased a Lyon & Healy "Maker's Chicago" soprano sax closet horn for a low-low price some months back because it was cheap, beautiful, and gave me a chance to grab a soprano for some noodling around (I've always wanted one, but balked at the prices). I'm in the process of having it refurb'd, and have very much enjoyed learning some of the history of the horn and Lyon & Healy from this forum. But can anyone "bottom line" this for me -- is this (and L&H/Couturier horns in general) a useable modern horn of any quality? Or just a cool piece of history?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same horn (with the clown engraving) a few years ago and it was VERY good. It had a dark rich sound like my Martins and projected well. Intonation was good and equal to my Bueschers, Martins and Conns. I think I sold it for around $1,200. I like that thumb ring too. The sopranos are much better than the altos I have had from L&H. Well worth overhauling.

#4 ·
Outstanding. I must admit that your glowing review of your L&H horn on another internet forum was part of the reason I was emboldened to purchase this one. I'm glad to hear that it's of similar make and that I should expect good things (my initial noodling around was very encouraging).

#6 ·
That L shaped G# is unique to the L&H. These were made before it became common to have the low C# key also activate the G#. L&H just made the one key work both. The downside is that when holding it down while playing in sharp keys, D will be way too sharp as the C# remains open when you want only the G# to be activated. Also the double springing takes a bit of work to get it right. Great sopranos.

#9 ·
Thanks! Helpful advice as usual. My L&H soprano should be in my hands in a week or so, and I'm already excited about noodling around on it. And, of course, some serious quality practicing. There are a few pieces for clarinet and/or oboe I'm looking forward to playing on the sop (which would require the altissimo -- hence the question). I'll post pictures...

#11 ·
Hmmm....not sure, actually. It's in my tech's hands at the moment -- but I can't wait to check! Sounds like years of making up alternate altissimo fingerings on clarinet (and especially eefer) may come in handy if the tangs are present. Again, I'll post pictures and updates when the horn is finally in my hot little hands.

#13 ·
Did you ever post the pictures of the refurbished Lyon & Healy Saxophone, I would love to see them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.