Sax on the Web Forum banner

o and + notation symbols

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  SveinJo 
#1 ·
I'm just double checking on the meaning of these symbols... I've only ever seen them sax transcriptions but they are in Phil Woods Sonata 1st mvmt.

o = overtone on note below

+ = ???? alt fingering?

Thanks!

#3 ·
When used together, alternating, they can mean signify the two different fingerings of a double density, or false fingering. Rather like an open and closing of a plunger mute on a trumpet.

However I don't know the Phil Woods sonata so I'm just throwing this out there. The + sign with a chord does indeed mean augmented, and a º can mean a harmonic, especially on music for strings. I haven't seen it on saxophone music, but I'm sure it exists to mean that.

Of course, with a chord symbol º means diminished and ø means half dimininished (m7b5)

#16 ·
One I used to do a bit is switch between regular C, Side C and first overtone C. And you can of course do it an octave up.

You can kind of get these little burbles.

You'd go C,C(B fingering),C,C overtone. Over and over.

Kind of a cool variation on the regular Boo-Ap Boo-Ap C to Low C old school thing.

You can do the same thing with the Multiple Bb fingerings. Although that one is a tad more cumbersome.

#20 ·
I copy lots of music into Finale (handwritten sheets and sets where the score has gone missing) and I have noted those symbols on drum sets (I think they mean "use open/closed hi-hats") and on "hat"-muted brass (o=no mute, +=mute on).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.