Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions, 2011 September - December

64K views 244 replies 234 participants last post by  jski2011 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! : ) I'm a 16 year old saxophone player from Norway and I've been at it for about 8 years. I've recently invested in a selmer mark 7 alto, and I'm playing in a rock/R&B band. I perform on a regular basis and my reason for joining this forum is mainly because I'm looking for good advice on what kind of tenor saxophone I should buy. The first thing I thought of was buying a selmer mark 6 tenor, but saxophones like that are quite rare :/ they are in my country anyway. I'm also interested in mouthpieces and how some kinds of mouthpieces fits for one style and not the other : ) I'm studying music in a "specialized" version of senior high and I'll be going on a small tour with my band soon. I'm looking forwards to both discussing and learning from all of you! : )
-Stian

#207 ·
I finally registered and find this site terrific. I'm a beginner player, since January 2011. I played the piano in early childhood so reading music is quite easy. I'm taking lessons from a great sax player here in CT. . I upgraded from an alto to a tenor which I find easier to play. I'm told that's not usually the case, but...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Rented an alto from Music Arts and a friend had this "like new" Jupiter 789-787 in black which I changed to in the Spring. Sounds great. I also need encouragement like "aspro", just need to find time to practice as I'm still working. I enjoy practicing though. Thanks for all the great info on this site

#208 ·
Hello to all. I am going to jump into this head first. I've always loved the sax. When I listen to jazz or go to a festival (jazz) I've always loved listening to the sax. For the longest time, I would say, "I'd love to learn to play the sax". Well someone said to go for it, you aint getting any younger, go for it. so I am! I'm 43 with no musical background besides listening to it. I cant read music so of course I have some doubts about how difficult this may be for me. Im looking at renting a sax from my local music store. (Jupiter) It's a rent to own. Im going to do that for a few months to make sure this is something that I feel my heart desires. Im looking forward to learning the sax and I know it's going to be a long road so patience is the key. I've read a lot of the post here and I can see my work is cut out for me. Wish me luck......

#209 ·
Salutations to all. My name is Aidan and I am an aspiring musician who's in his last year of high school. I absolutely love music more than anything else in this world and though I understand how much work I need to put into my playing over the next few years, I'm determined to make this music thing work. I've been playing for over six years now, and I currently play a Yamaha Custom EX alto sax that I absolutely love; I've yet to find an alto that plays as well as it (though I did try a Yanigasawa 991 that came pretty close). Right now, I'm doing research and saving up to buy a tenor. I've tried a few tenors- including a wonderful Selmer Reference 54 that I almost fell in love with until I saw the price tag- and have a growing list of other models I want to try. I joined this site so I can get some help from some more advanced players. I can also help others out a little, but I'm probably not the best source of info.

#211 ·
Hello, here's the place to introduce myself - so:

my name is Andreas Moe - I'm a professional instrument maker - educated in Germany - now here in the US with my own workshop (again).

Since I'm in love with the saxes of the 1920's I specialized in restoration and overhauls of all kind of saxes of that era.

Since I love younger and older students, I never reject an instrument, and I never answer: It's not worth to be repaired or overhauled.

I own some interesting Saxes, I saw and restored many more and I'd like to provide you with any information I collected over the years.

Kind regards

#212 ·
Wow! There seem to be a lot of new people on this site. Hope I can contribute. My name is Alfredo and I played Tenor from grade school through college when my Buescher 400 was destroyed in a house fire. I picked it up again a few years ago when I bough a Schaeffer (sp?) on eBay for a few hundred dollars. I've been enjoying playing with the family band, mostly blues and rock. I still have my old Buescher and am wondering if it is worth restoring - I had no hope of it until I found this site.

#214 ·
Hello all. I'm 31 years old and have been playing sax for about 20 years. 13 years in an Army Reserve band that I have recently transferred out of for a promotion. So I no longer have access to the government issued alto (selmer series III) and am looking to purchase my own. I own a jupiter soprano that I mostly use for church events and holiday gatherings. I joined here to gather information and to look for a deal on a nice alto.

#215 ·
Greetings Everyone.. I'm a student from Institute Of The Art Yogyakarta and I've been played the horn just for about 5 years. I'm using Selmer Balanced Action Alto with Dukoff #8 and Rigotti Gold #2. I'm playing in a Symphonic Band, Big Band, and Funk Band for several years. But I got a problem in developing my sound, specially the mouthpiece.
At first, I used the Selmer Metal Usa 5* + Rico Jazz Select 2M and I'm not feel so good when I played it. Then I bought Berg Larsen Metal 90/1 and Eddie Daniels II Legature from my friend and I found that it's a really nice combination for me, because I can get a fat, big & round sound in a low register but .. it doesn't work well in the high register. At the next moment, I got Dukoff #8 from my other friend and I feel that it's much better than before. I feel that it has a wide tone and something "bark" flow with the sound everytime I blow it, especially in a low register. But, I still got the same difficulties. My sound in high register is too thin, too sharp, and I can't believe that it come from my horn.
I wish that I can get a new one which I can play comfortably so I can get a big sound, fat and round even I play in a high register. I get three option but I haven't experience with them all. They are Beechler, Otto Link, and Guardala. I think all of them have a great sound but I can't find the detail so I'm confuse which one is suitable for me.
So if any of you have an advise, I really appreciate with it. Thanks also for Sax on The Web who give me a chance to meet these great people :)

Best Regards
-Ario-

#216 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Phil. I'm 24. Used to play sax regularly, actually started out in college as a music major. Haven't played much in the past couple years, and I've really been considering getting back into it. Just having a bit of a rough time deciding where to start. Really into jazz and just about all different styles of music in general. Looking forward to discussing with everyone.

#218 ·
Hey all,

I've finally joined this forum! I use it all the time for saxophone based queries, so I thought I'd might as well join up. I've played sax going on 12 years now, and I'm studying under some fine teachers. My major is Music Education, but I would like to perform as well whenever possible. I mainly stick to classical, but I can read jazz charts well. I'm just not so great at improvising, haha.

Anyway, it's great to finally be a part of this forum. Saxes unite :)

#220 ·
what up. I'm Brandon from Knoxville, TN. I'm 21 and have played for 9 years. I play full time professionally with a few bands locally, and have recently begun work on a project with 2 current members of Parliament-Funkadelic. Right now, my time is occupied by finding a professional level tenor that won't hold me back like my current horn. :/

#224 ·
hi there, i'm a 26 year old alto player... been playing off and on since i was 10 or so in middle school band. Mostly off, but the last few years i've been playing for a circus in the summer and for the last few months i've been playing with a radical brass band. I play an antigua winds 510 but i just made the jump to a yas 52 which should be arriving in the mail in a few days. I really appreciate all the info here, as well as the sense of community.

#225 ·
Greetings Everyone.. I'm a student from Institute Of The Art Yogyakarta and I've been played the horn just for about 5 years. I'm using Selmer Balanced Action Alto with Dukoff #8 and Rigotti Gold #2. I'm playing in a Symphonic Band, Big Band, and Funk Band for several years. But I got a problem in developing my sound, especially the mouthpiece.
At first, I used the Selmer Metal Usa 5* + Rico Jazz Select 2M and I'm not feel so good when I played it. Then I bought Berg Larsen Metal 90/1 and Eddie Daniels II Legature from my friend and I found that it's a really nice combination for me, because I can get a fat, big & round sound in a low register but .. it doesn't work well in the high register. At the next moment, I got Dukoff #8 from my other friend and I feel that it's much better than before. I feel that it has a wide tone and something "bark" flow with the sound everytime I blow it, especially in a low register. But, I still got the same difficulties. My sound in high register is too thin, too sharp, and I can't believe that it come from my horn.
I wish that I can get a new one which I can play comfortably so I can get a big sound, fat and round even I play in a high register. I get three option but I haven't experience with them all. They are Beechler, Otto Link, and Guardala. I think all of them have a great sound but I can't find the detail so I'm confuse which one is suitable for me.
So if any of you have an advise, I really appreciate with it. Thanks also for Sax on The Web who give me a chance to meet these great people :)

Best Regards
-Ario-

#226 ·
Hello, my name is Steve Bowser and I have decided to pick up the saxophone at 59. I live in Canadian Lakes, Michigan. I have been around music and have played guitar and bass all my life. I played clarinet in band in school. I love the sax but I hated the clarinet but it was the only instrument my family could afford, so that's what I played. Looking for some magic to strengthen my playing chops and embouchure, but from what I have read here it comes with time and hours of practice. Ironically, buying the equipment is not the problem now, it's finding the time to for focused practice. The internet has made this new hobby a reality in very short order.

If anyone knows of the perfect easy playing mouthpiece, please let me know where I can pick one up. Patience and practice is what I need to remember.

#227 ·
Hi !

My name is Anders Modén and I come from Sweden. I play in a couple of bands and like both jazz and rock as well as symphonic music. Right now I do try to learn to improvise from chords and to improve my overall sax performance.

Nice to get in contact with other people sharing the same interests.

Here is a link to a piece that I am playing..

#228 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a 25 year old saxophone player. Been playing for 13 years. I fell in love with the soprano after listening to some of Dave Koz's music about 10 years ago.
I have played in numerous churches, and as well as jazz bands. I currently just fill in as a featured sax artist and of course play on a regular basis at the church I attend.
I become more and more fascinated with the saxophone everyday. I've learned how to overhaul a sax using my student model Vito (which I fell in love with after I figured out how to tweak the sound) also experimenting with mouthpieces and facings. (ruining a few plastic cheapo's). I figured out its a science, when figured right it's fun and sounds incredible.
I was introduced to this site from a friend. I think I bugged him to much asking too many hard questions, even repair men at music stores got tired of me (lol). Well I'm looking forward to learning more and hopefully share some of my knowledge I've learned with other enthusiast.

#230 ·
Hey everyone. My name is Mike. I am 25 years old and a golf professional from Reading, Pennsylvania. I played alto sax in middle school for 3 years, and I recently decided to pick it up again. Next year, I'd like to purchase a Soprano Sax and begin to learn that as well. I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here and expanding my knowledge. It's just a hobby for now, but we will see how it goes. Nice to meet all of you!

#231 ·
Hello All!
My name is Alana and I'm a sax-o-holic. I'm currently finishing my studies at McGill University for classical saxophone. I play mainly solo alto and soprano in my pro sax quartet.other saxes!
I just found this forum today while searching for some sheet music online. I can't wait to get started reading all the posts and learning more about my instrument.
I'm specifically looking for information people have on places to play classical saxophone after university. Specifically your thoughts on military bands/what that entails. I really want to continue with my music after I graduate, but I also need to make a living doing it. Currently looking into joining a military band or getting my licence as a music therapist. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.