Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions, 2011 September - December

64K views 244 replies 234 participants last post by  jski2011 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! : ) I'm a 16 year old saxophone player from Norway and I've been at it for about 8 years. I've recently invested in a selmer mark 7 alto, and I'm playing in a rock/R&B band. I perform on a regular basis and my reason for joining this forum is mainly because I'm looking for good advice on what kind of tenor saxophone I should buy. The first thing I thought of was buying a selmer mark 6 tenor, but saxophones like that are quite rare :/ they are in my country anyway. I'm also interested in mouthpieces and how some kinds of mouthpieces fits for one style and not the other : ) I'm studying music in a "specialized" version of senior high and I'll be going on a small tour with my band soon. I'm looking forwards to both discussing and learning from all of you! : )
-Stian

#6 ·
Heyo, I'm from western MA, longtime player and always learning. Vet of two rock bands. Just re-formed one and we're stripping it back to basics. The band has twin tenors, guitar, bass, drums. I love all kinds of music from all kinds of places but I love to play rock and roll.

#8 ·
Hi everybody, i'm jools iv'e been playing sax for 13 years, started at 36 i'm now 52 and a travelling trubador useing backing track's
and playing mainly the South West of England, i got an old 508 Merc and do tours its tougth making a liveing out of playing,liveing in a van
but i love my 1930's Radio Improved, its so sperited, sometimes i think its telling me how to play it, i love it! its nice to be here with like minded people.

#9 ·
I'm 48 and have wanted to learn to play the saxophone since I was 13 years old when I first heard my older brother playing some Junior Walker 45's (vinyl - those were the days). Well sports, school, and life in general got in the way so here I am now trying to learn to read music and play. Looking forward to learning from everybody's wisdom on this forum.

#10 ·
I am a Finnish woman living in Northern California, and I've been fooling around with sax since -98, but only the last 3 years with a serious and growing intention to really learn how to play. I've been doing music most of my life, mostly as a singer but sometimes also playing with different instruments, but saxophone is the one and only with which I really feel like home. So... nowadays I put all my musical effort to practice my horn.

All that work during these three years has now brought results: I was participating a jam session yesterday and the first time in my life felt that I could really _play_ jazz instead of just going somewhere towards the direction only... It was almost a religious experience, and I am still astonished... it feels very much like falling seriously in love, really :)

PS. I actually met Harri Rautiainen a year or so ago in Mendocino jam sessions, Helsinki Finland. That's how I came to know about these pages. IRL I am called Katja.

Hello to everyone!

#13 ·
PS. I actually met Harri Rautiainen a year or so ago in Mendocino jam sessions, Helsinki Finland. That's how I came to know about these pages. IRL I am called Katja.

Hello to everyone!
IrmaG,
I remember you. You came to Mendo jams a few times. I read also your other post here. Quite inspiring.
Welcome Katja, and also all other recently joined members,
~Harri

#11 ·
16 year old from north texas. in jazz band on tenor. bought my own instrument over this past summer( got tired of cruddy school instruments) i hope to learn alot from reading around!

#16 ·
Hey my name's Noah. I started playing tenor about half a year ago and i really love it. right now i'm playing a bundy 3. My grandfather who passed away awhile ago had a selmer mark 6. My mom is basically holding on to it right now and is soon going to let me play it. I started trombone when i was in 4th grade and the next year i learened baritone. Right now i play those instruments+tenor, alto, clarinet and other stuff. hahah.

#17 ·
Hello Sax guys,
Name is Dorian and I live in the Bahamas. Used to play sax as a second instrument to guitar back in the day when I was on the road (late 70s). Now getting back into it and trying to get a vintage rock band back together.
Looking forward to posting and learning from everyone.

#19 ·
Hello my name is D. Jones and I have been playing a Yamaha YAS-23 alto saxophone with a runyon quantum 7 metal mouthpiece and 2.0 legere reed for 2 years. I am teaching myself: rubricks and lots of rhythm and blues sheet music. It is painful and slow progress, but each year it gets a little better. Orlando, Fl area.

#21 ·
Hi Folks, I've been learning a lot by lurking on SOTW and would like to participate and also PM some of you guys who are dealers to explore a sax purchase. I played tenor sax a lot up through high school and then unfortunately let things slide while getting through college and starting a career and family. Now my friend and bandmate from school is the music director at our high school and is trying to get the old-timers together (OK, we're not that old... in our 40s) for a reunion jazz band concert. All of a sudden I'm obsessed with getting back into it. Well, that plus my 12-year-old daughter announced that she wanted to switch from clarinet to tenor... oh boy! I guess I was missing this world.

So here I've been this week reading as much as I can on old vs. new and would like to get a good intermediate horn that both my daughter and I can use. Thanks for a great resource!

Best,
Michael

#22 ·
Hi my name is Jim. I think the first time the sax bit me in the ear was when my older cousin introduced me to The Sonics, that was pretty evil stuff back then. Maybe that's why music didn't get much encouragement where I lived? Thirty years later I got the bug to play one, took some classes and a few private lessons, turned out I was ahead of my time and late with the rent, not much appreciation from the neighbors either, had to put it away for awhile. The last few weeks I have been inexplicably preoccupied with all things saxxy, though I have a vague notion that it might help me hold onto a bit of sanity. And on that note, I have to thank the people responsible for this site for all the incredible resources here, good information was hard to find back in the other century. I'm not sure how the neighbors are going to feel about it when I start to blow again but their dog seems to think Sidney Bechet is pretty exciting right now. Clearing some space for a sound booth and looking for plans for same. I should add that the highlight of my education so far would probably be the night I saw Sonny Rollins tear it up at The Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver, he would have made Hendrix look like a schoolboy.

I can't decide if that name is funny or dumb, is there a difference? :headbang:

#23 ·
hi all,

i've dabbled on and off with musical instruments (organ, drums, flute, alto sax, recorder, bass guitar) over my 55 years. i'm picking up the sax again strictly for fun and enjoyment and maybe to develop breath control. except for keyboards, everything else has been self-taught. my one and only current horn is a king alto 660 but would like to try a tenor one day soon.

#26 ·
Hello everyone! My name is cristopher! I play tenor saxophone and i have been for about 7 years. I started in 7th grade on a selmer (i dont know what model) then in 9th grade i got a yts 23 that i played for 4 years. Recently i have recieved a yts 82z that i am in love with! its my avatar picture! its a gold lacquer i play with a c* or a 4cm. i use them interchangeably. if you have anymore questions, just ask!

Cristopher D. Johnson

#27 ·
Hi,

I'm Lindsay Winkler. I started off my musical life with ten years of clarinet, but have now been playing saxophone as well for about six years.

I'm interested in music of all kinds, but almost all my practice time is spent on jazz. It still seems like the best way to learn to play the horn and develop an understanding of music at the same time.

Like many, I've picked up lots of useful information over the years from here, but only just getting involved in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.