Sax on the Web Forum banner

Creston Sonata Recordings

11K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  jazfyrski 
#1 ·
Does anybody have a recording of the Creston Sonata by Cecil Leeson, Rascher, Abato?

#6 ·
you might try interlibrary loan...

a long time ago, back before ipads and youtube and file sharing, there were buildings called library's and people would go there for information.

if your question is, is there a way to get this in MP3 mailed to my inbox the answer is probably not.

#8 ·
The Leeson recording is on Vol. 5 (I think) of a 7-volume series he put out on his own label, Enchante. Those records are quite scarce. Your best bet may be to check at worldcat.org if there is a library near you that has it and would allow you to listen to it. The Abato is not ringing a bell at the moment. At any rate, there are readily available CD recordings of this work that are held in very high regard.

#11 ·
Bryan Manning Kendall has "The Legendary Saxophonists" collection. It has a lot of recordings of Mule, Rascher, Leeson and others. I know it has Rascher doing the Sonata and Leeson doing the Suite with Creston on piano. This might be a place to search.
I went to the website of B.M.Kendall and it has a lot, and I really mean a lot, of both CDs and DVDs of classical saxophone music.
Has anyone bought part of that catalogue?
Is it reliable?
Thanks.

#14 ·
Check out Londeix's "Le Saxophone Français". Not just masterful playing, but also a sweet deal to get 3 CD's of music for $20.

To broaden your perspective, I'd give Bornkamp's "Sonatas for Saxophone and Piano" and Don Sinta's "American Music" a look too.

#15 ·
To my knowledge there is no recording of C.Leeson playing the Creston Sonata. V.Abato recorded the Creston Sonata with Paul Creston on piano.

#18 ·
A.Smith, is that a recording of the Sonata or the Suite? I know that Leeson recorded the Suite with Creston on piano, but haven't heard of a Sonata recording (doesn't mean there isn't one, I just don't know of one existing).

I happened to get a chance to check out the LP of Abato playing the Creston Sonata when I was at Peabody for auditions (they took an id and I listened at a desk in the library). Definitely worth listening to if you have a chance somewhere/sometime.

#20 ·
Kaspy -

Regarding Kendall's website: if by "secure" you mean that you send him money and he reliably sends you a CD, then yes he is secure. BUT be aware that as valuable as his historical recordings may be to us all, these are bootlegs. There are copyright issues at play, and as far as I know, the Rascher/Mule/etc. estates get $0 from the recordings he copies. The FBI won't raid your house or anything for buying from him, and he won't bilk you out of your money, but it's still a touchy subject for some.

#21 ·
Kaspy -

Regarding Kendall's website: if by "secure" you mean that you send him money and he reliably sends you a CD, then yes he is secure. BUT be aware that as valuable as his historical recordings may be to us all, these are bootlegs. There are copyright issues at play, and as far as I know, the Rascher/Mule/etc. estates get $0 from the recordings he copies. The FBI won't raid your house or anything for buying from him, and he won't bilk you out of your money, but it's still a touchy subject for some.
Thanks DWoz5000.
Yes, that's what I meant by "secure".

Now you have raised a question which is very important to me.
So I'll just pass my turn in buying these recordings, hoping that they will be available in the future in a more appropriate way (hopefully before I die :)).

Thank you again.

#28 ·
Hey, Angel

I also have the "Highlander's Lament" CD and agree with DWoz5000 that Elliot Riley's reading is as fine as the ones you mentioned.

Among your suggestions, I've never heard a recording from Gao Xin. He's certainly studied with some superlative teachers and earned many honors along the way, but I can't find a recording by him. Has he released one on a private label?

I'm dying to hear his version of the Creston sonata!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.