Sax on the Web Forum banner

Lyon Healy American Professional

23K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  LaPorte 
#1 ·
I am trying to find more information on the saxophone that i have had in my family for years and years. I know for sure it is a lyon healy stencil but i'm not sure who the original maker of it is. I was told Buescher made most of their stencils but i haven't found exactly what mine looks like on other sites yet.

The neck has a small curve in it but is straight and it doesn't have the fin on it. The body has the fin on the bottom of the bell.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/kellyhanson140/?action=view&current=07102011_001.jpg

this is a poor picture of what i own. It has a lyon healy engraving on the bell that is a very simple floralish pattern. The serial number is 12909 which i also could not find any information on. If anyone could help me find a year on this or how much it might be worth i would be greatful

#3 ·
Re: Lyon Healy stencil

It really does look like a Beuscher...My very first sax 10 years ago was an old 30's-40's Beuscher which looked similar to that. I will check on the pricing if possible.

#4 ·
#5 ·

i had no idea where to put this lol.. i know its old.. we found it in my great grandmothers basement and before that it had belonged to a long deceased relative of mine.. its in decent condition.. some tarnish and needs new pads.. but it plays beautifully.. it could use a new mouthpiece too.. as i dont know how old this one is.. i've cleaned it but its kind of.. gross in some parts..

#7 ·

i had no idea where to put this lol.. i know its old.. we found it in my great grandmothers basement and before that it had belonged to a long deceased relative of mine.. its in decent condition.. some tarnish and needs new pads.. but it plays beautifully.. it could use a new mouthpiece too.. as i dont know how old this one is.. i've cleaned it but its kind of.. gross in some parts..
Ya that's just how mouthpieces get, especially when they are old. My old CONN mouthpiece i first started out with is a dark brown/green nowadays, but still plays well for beginners...

#6 ·

according to a chart i found if the sax was made by Beuscher it would have been made around 1910

#15 ·

according to a chart i found if the sax was made by Beuscher it would have been made around 1910
No. The serial numbers on stencil horns do not match those of the main line horns when determining their date of manufacture. This horn has the mercedes style low C guard anyhow, which makes Conn the more likely suspect. To the OP, are there any letters above, below or before the serial number?

yeah i know it wouldn't be worth much.. i was hoping to sell it for $300-$400 if i can find a buyer.. $300 probably since it does need new pads..
That would be overly optimistic unless the horn has some sort of special engraving that would appeal to a collector. Doesn't seem to have a front F either, so you'd be lucky to get two hundred for it.

#8 ·

makes me wish my great grandmother was still around so i could ask her.. i played this through high school... right now its just taking up space because i never really learned how to play it as well as some other instruments.. i would love to sell it to someone who could give it more love than i can but without knowing how much its worth its hard

#9 ·

To tell you the truth...Even though it is Vintage and all. It really isn't worth much. At most I would say 500...Now, don't take my word or anything, but that's what im seein on Ebay and all. Just enjoy the thing, and show it off!

#10 ·

yeah i know it wouldn't be worth much.. i was hoping to sell it for $300-$400 if i can find a buyer.. $300 probably since it does need new pads.. now the problem is just to find a buyer.. i'm moving cross country in a few months and i hate to get rid of it but it just takes up space right now

#11 ·

Where are residing currently? i know your account is new and all, but you can input your info if wanted into your account spec's and all.

#13 ·

ouch, maybe a college kid would want to try it out...I don't know anything around WI

#14 ·

regardless of who made it , since it is not in a playing state I would say that 300$ is way off the mark but you never know. If you are looking to sell it quickly you need to lower , considerably, your expectations. The Ebay is your best chance because a foreign buyer might pick up on it but in the States at the moment prices are the lowest they have been in a very long time so...... don't hold your breath!

#18 ·

Lyon & Healy produced their own horns for a while, with a mix of identifiable features, this one typically has a Martin style bow fin (not Buescher...) and a Conn 'mercedes' low C guard. Can maybe make out bevelled toneholes

Need pictures of the bell engraving, and other details - as milandro commented - does it by any chance say 'LaPorte' anywhere on the engraving ?

The link below is to a C-Melody (not alto like yours), but note the Martin'ish bow fin and bevelled toneholes, but Conn low-C cage and neck brace... And has been mentioned before by Grumps, Buescher/Martin/Conn serial number lists do not apply to stencils manufactured by those companies, so you cannot date the sax with those.

http://csax.net/saxophones/gallery/lyonhealy-own-couturier-cmel.htm

Another interesting webpage link below about Lyon & Healy, with further links on that web-page - there is other ongoing L&H research taking place, it's become a bit of a cult, and of particular interest to me as I have both L&H C-Melody and C-Soprano saxes...

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Couturierlist.html

So klhanson, a few more pics please, especially of the bell engraving and tone-hole closeups. The first one was fine, just need more details if you want proper identification, and sadly a couple of hundred dollars might well be all it's worth - if it's a LaPorte Couturier, a collector may pay more (may...). Sad, because the build quality (and sound) of the L&H's I've owned and played far exceeded their achievable market value :cry: and that state will probably continue.

#20 ·

The tone holes are not straight they are a little angled at the top. The serial number has a A on the top then 12909 in the middle and then a L on the bottom. I will get a few more pictures, one of the engraving especially here shortly. It doesn't say la porte on it anywhere that i can find. All it says is Lyon healy in fancy script with -inf under that.. and then it says american professional chicago in regular script on it. The engraving itself is just a floral looking thing with the words inside a "Frame"

#22 ·
#24 ·

cool thanks cmelodysax.. you guys have been a big help.. i know this thing isn't worth much money.. I actually took it out and played it a bit today.. it is in playable condition.. i found someone that might want to buy it.. just wish i knew a year that it was made.

#26 ·
I am trying to find more information on the saxophone that i have had in my family for years and years. I know for sure it is a lyon healy stencil but i'm not sure who the original maker of it is. ...
It has a lyon healy engraving on the bell that is a very simple floralish pattern. The serial number is 12909 which i also could not find any information on. If anyone could help me find a year on this or how much it might be worth i would be greatful
This alto saxophone was made by the Couturier Band Instrument Company spring 1924 just when Lyon &Healy was going to take over this Company. No stencil.

Lyon & Healy was headquartered in Chicago. That's why the engraving says 'Chicago', not 'LaPorte' where the saxophone was made. Since april 1924 the Couturier band Instrument Company was officially subsidiary of L&H which conducted the affairs since january 1924.

#28 ·
is it worth anything? i'm glad for the information
Commonly being mistaken for a martin stencil pasted with a Conn low C keyguard (imagine that absurdity!) the current value ranges from ca. 150 to 250$. But things seem to change gradually.

For me personally one of the greatest saxophones ever made.

#29 ·
The following timeline may help to classify your Lyon & Healy saxophone (yours in blue letters):

Timeline of Couturier related saxophones

1. Made by Couturier November 1922 - September 1923

- Distributors: Couturier, Gretsch, Whaley Royce - Canada

2. Receivership October 1923 - March 1924

2.1 Lyon&Healy 'American Professional'
2.2 'American Professional' I
2.3 'Inspiration'

3. Lyon&Healy April 1924 - March 1928

3.1 'Couturier Model' April 1924 - 1925
3.2 'American Professional' II
3.3 'Artist Model' series I 1925 - 1926
3.4 'Artist Model' series IIa/IIb 1926 - March 1928

4. Holton Era April 1928 - March1930

4.1 Lyon&Healy Artist Model series IIb, series III made by Holton
4.2 Collegiate I
4.3 Beaufort American

5. Elkhart Band Instrument Company April 1930 - 1931/32

5.1 The Couturier-Elkhart Model

#30 ·
#35 ·
#33 ·
Here is another example for your consideration:

1. Definately Couturier?
2. Possibly Couturier?
3, Definately other than Couturier?

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.