Sax on the Web Forum banner

Stainer Sub-Contra

14K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Vinny7777777 
#1 ·
Videos now on youtube. Search "subcontrabass" then sort by upload date. Unfortunately, the guy playing doesn't represent it well...James Carter better pick one up, pronto!

#3 ·
Any sax where you can miss middle C by half a step needs a) work, or b) a better player.

I sorta wish it had been made 10 feet long with a bell the size of a washtub, but I understand the logistics involved.

#7 ·
well, we can do slightly better than that!

This is the Dutch player Hans Kuijt moving his first paces on the J'elle Stainer cotrabass

this is David Brutti, Italian player playing also on a Stainer

Mimmo Cascina Torchiera

Roscoe Mitchell

at Frankfurt

#8 ·
Milandro, Those are videos of contrabass saxophones. This thread was started about SUBcontrabass saxophones.

#10 ·
Hello everyone,

A few days ago I met Gilberto Lopez in Milano (importer of J'Elle Stainer for EU) and I have tried the complete SUB-contrabass saxophone in Bb.

unfortunately I was able to play just a few notes as the instrument was not fully functional: the sax had just arrived and since is very big and fragile it's really easy to damage it. The instrument will require a final set up (few days of work i think). Consider that for now the sax is at 60% of its potential.

#12 ·
I have found another video with the long range sub contrabass and frankly speaking what comes out from that instrument doesn't sound particularly musical especially in the low notes.

Now, how much this is due to the instrument or the player one has to wonder. I guess we'll wait and then we'll hear if and when somebody does something with it which is sounding different from breaking (wood) wind :) and , last but not least, castanets ! :twisted:

#17 ·
this mania for low sounding saxophones has been blown out proportions! :twisted: :bluewink:.

This player says in Dutch at the end of his duel with the church organ " I can hear it but I cannot get it (or find it)".

The reason is that those low notes are very difficult to discriminate from one another, so, what is the point of playing them besides being there with an impressive piece of metal?

#22 ·
I'd like to hear a great saxophone player who has devoted years to the contrabass saxophone play any of the new contrabasses. We need to hear the potential of these instruments demonstrated by a musician who has devoted time to the instrument being showcased. Some of the videos show an impressive low register, but the contrabass saxophone can be as impressive in the middle and upper register.
I have played contrabass saxophone long enough to see its potential. It will take a Sigurd Rascher, or a Serge Bertocchi or a Scott Robinson to demonstrate the musical value of these big saxes. And maybe someone should buy Colin Stetson a contrabass sax.

#23 ·
Don't be so modest Randy. You have done so much to advocate for the contrabass & you're talent is boundless!
I am not convinced that the problem with the Stainer subcontras is entirely the player. Even a devoted player like Mr. Berni is able to do much more than bellow out a simple tune on the horn. Watching the problems in the key action; visible even in the low quality YouTube videos, it is a wonder that the Stainer subcontras play at all.
I desperately want to know when we will be privileged to hear the Eppelsheim subcontra belonging to Todd White as I expect that will be a much different beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.