Double Cases

Thread: Double Cases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Double Cases

I know many of us have double cases and people ask about them all the time.

I currently have the WWBW "house" brand double case and it is nice but storage is minimal. Really a nice case for the money.

I have seen on line in multiple places the Bam Trekking double case made with the Leblanc logo on them being sold in the 100-140 range depending on where you find them online.

What would yall's opinion be of them storage and construction wise? Would it be worth it to get inplace of the one that I have now?

Thanks

Bobby
    Bobby Mac McClellan
    Eb sop, Bb, C, A, Basset A, Eb Alto, Basset F, Bass, EEb &BBb clarinets
    Flowood, MS

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Double Cases

I have the WWBW 'house' brand double case as well.
    One of the reasons I went with the 'el-cheapo' case was because it had MORE storage space.
    Now, it has been a number of years since I've purchased the case and I quit looking, so maybe BAM has made a few changes to the Trekking case that I haven't seen yet.

I got mine for a set of full boehm clarinets. The WWBW case was laid out to better for cutting away material to accomodate the extra length of the lower joints. AND it was cheap enough that if I really messed things up I wouldn't feel too bad about 'wasting' my money.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BAM is probably a better case than the WWBW case in terms of materials and workmanship. I have a number of colleagues who use them and are happy with them. I have one friend who had an issue with the zipper failing a few years back. I don't know if the company has made any changes since then. I have heard good things from friends who use the Protec double case as well.

I have used a double pochette style case for years. It is extremely compact and I carry it in a Lands End attache, which gives me unbelievable amounts of storage and it wears like iron.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bandmommy, have you seen tha tthe House brand case price has gone up to 45 dollars, I bought mine for 30 about a year ago.

I was looking at the "Leblanc" Bams on auction and on Weiner music. inside does not look to have as much storage as the WWBW, guess the plus side is the expandable zipper poces on the outside of the case.

It is a good price for the BAM and it is nice to see one in a more affordable one on the market, but the el cheapo is I think the best option.
    Bobby Mac McClellan
    Flowood, MS

Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang but 'cheap' is getting expensive...

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing is for sure with the Chinese instrument cases, they vary a lot in quality. I've seen some that were just great and some that fell apart very fast, including from the same maker. The BAM cases are usually very good, though I've seen some of those (and also those which are made by BAM for other companies) have issues too, especially for their price. But (statistically) only few in comparison with most other cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for storage space, ProTec is a good one. I have the Oboe/EH case, and I normally carry around my main reed making tools (knives, mandrels, sandpaper, razor blades, beeswax, etc...) and my double stand, neckstrap, tuner/pickup and sometimes my music, depending on the size. The clarinet one has just about the same design. It can get a little heavy, but I think that's more because of all the storage, rather than just the case itself.

The newer BAM cases seem to have good storage. It seems as if they've built a pocket to hold computers, and they're built like tanks. A friend of mine was hit by a car while on her moped at school, with the BAM trecking on her back, and landed on her case. She said it saved her back and her life. Clarinets are fine also. On the other hand though, a friend who had the Oboe/EH BAM case said that it binded some of her EH keys, which was a Loree, a pretty standard instrument (as standard as Buffets are to most clarinetists...even though I don't own Buffets or Lorees...).

Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple of the WWBW double cases. They are nice and cheap and have plenty of storage inside for I think 5 barrels (in barrel holes) plus the large rectangle inside the middle.

The only problem i have with mine though is that it seems to put undue pressure on the lower joint C# spatula key and pushes it to the B key over extended periods of storage. This I've found on my Buffet, Leblanc and Selmer clarinets. I prefer my Leblanc double cases now but they don't have the total amount of storage of the WWBW. The Leblanc cases do have all the joints separate (only holes for 2 barrels though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bough one of the "Leblanc" Bam trekking cases just to see how it comparied to to the WWBW double case.

Internal storrage the WWBW is better 4 barrel spots, 2 mouthpiece spot and the larger rectanglar store spot in the middle.

Support of the horns the Bam has it hands down. snug fit on all joints unlike the WWBW which was rather loose on the A clarinet.

External storage I would have to go with the Bam also. There is a nice sized music pocket on the from with a nice 2 sided unzip making it easier to put sheet music in it. there is the expanadable pocket that like others have said you can put a laptop in it. and there is a 3rd pocket on the back that is the side of the case I would say for additional music.

Both have shoulder and backpack straps. The WWBW are spring clasps that make them completely removable. The Bam are back pack straps are attached at the top but and the plastick clasps the un hook them at the bottom. and can be put in the 3rd pocke that is on the back of the case.

I cannot fault either one, both are real nice cases. The WWBW have gone up since I purchased mine to around 50.00 the Bam that I got is the on labeled leblanc as opposed to Bam but was easily available online for 100.00

both are quite usable, if you are doing lots of traveling the bam is the way you go. but if you are needing a double for making it easier just to trasport to and from rehearsal and concerts locally, I would say the WWBW.

it is nice that these Leblanc model Bam Trekkings are on the market right now as a viable option.

I think I am going to keep the Bam personally I have a friend in need of a newer double case that I am going to give to her to use. She currently has an older Protec that she cannot stand. I will probably end up with it soon.
    Bobby Mac McClellan
    Flowood, MS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby

Does the BAM look like it can be deconstructed, enough to modify the sections to take a full Boehm pair, then put back together again? Is there enough room to modify the sections to take FB instruments?
    Chris

Tenor: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone V7*; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone J6M; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Yanagisawa A-600 (Vito VSP); Otto Link slant sig. (Wolfe Tayne face) 5*; Vandoren Java #3
    Soprano: Buescher TT (1926); Barone V7; Vandoren Java #2.5
    Clarinet: Bb Leblanc Opus; Morgan RM15; Vandoren "56" #3
    Clarinet: Bb Evette & Schaeffer (Buffet E13 1961); Selmer C85/120; Vandoren "56" #3

Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris,
    The WWBW case is easily taken apart and modified to fit FB clarinets. That's what I have for mine!
    You just remove a few screws, pull back the lining and gouge out the styrofoam where needed.
    It all goes back just as easily. If you want I can post a pic of the horns in the case.

Forum Contributor 2013 SeanZ123's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pic would be cool; to really get the picture in my head.
    Jazz is a mental attitude rather than a style. It uses a certain process of the mind expressed spontaneously through some musical instrument. I'm concerned with retaining that process.

— Bill Evans

Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a little hard to get a good photo with the black interior, but you can get an idea of how they fit.
    So far I've had no complaints about the case. Internal storage is more than ample for my needs, and I carry my music folders in a seperate bag so external storage really isn't much of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice set Bandmommy. you did a great job on modifying the case.

The WWBW cases are really nice cases especially for the money too.
    Bobby Mac McClellan
    Flowood, MS

Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcclellan View Post
    Nice set Bandmommy. you did a great job on modifying the case.

The WWBW cases are really nice cases especially for the money too.
    Thank you. They're roughly 1930s' vintage. Serial nos' are 54XX and 55XX.
    The Bb has seen so much playing time that the tone hole chimneys are cupped. The A is nearly pristine. Both are sweet players.
    I still have the original double pouchet case, but it's far too stinky to use. Hence the augmented WWBW double case.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    It's a little hard to get a good photo with the black interior, but you can get an idea of how they fit.
    <drools> Oy. Moy. F...

ahem.

Currently I'm evaluating Bass-and-Beefer double cases, motorbikeable.
    I seem to have found a white spot on the map...
    Ben

"I drank what?"
    -- Socrates