Sax on the Web Forum banner

My new Martin: a The Martin Tenor almost "new"!

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  junior1 
#1 ·
I've bought a few weeks ago a The Martin tenor that seems in mint conditions and plays, oh boys if it does play! Compared with my other Martin, a Committee II, it has that tiny bit of added punch without loosing the typical Martin darkish sound.
I have been told the lacquer is the original one, and by the look of the case (original too, and in mint conditions) it could be true. The engravings are gorgeous, and everything is smooth (apart from the Bb palm key, that need a bit of adjust). Only spot of an otherwise spotless instrument, the "hissing A syndrome" on A second octave, probably needs some pip vent trimming.

Serial Number is 204xxx, so it's a 1958-1959 old guy, but with an incredibly young look!

See less See more
#7 ·
I paid for it 1600EUR, not cheap as the horn isn't in truly mint contition (I agree with Pete here, I was too proudly optimistic...) but within the price range of these horns (Martins are undervalued in the vintage market, apart from rare specimens like a The Magna or a Music Man). The horn has a small unlaquered area under the bell rim (about 3x2 cm) with a nasty and deep scratch, but that does not affect the sound quality, which in my opinion is superb (warning, proud owner here!).

#9 ·
These may be the best tenors around. I guess prices in Europe are a bit high. I am selling a good relacquer with new Selmer type pads for $1,600US for comparison. I still like my Comm II though. These are just different horns. I feel the Comm III is more centered with a bit more focus whereas the II has a looser more bendable sound (need better words!). Whichever one you choose, you will have a killer low end that Selmer can't match.
The saying was that a Martin was a "poor man's Selmer" but I think it should be that the Selmer is a "rich man's Martin".

#13 ·
Had a friend try my 204xxx The Martin Tenor a few days ago. He is a teacher and professional player and was looking for a nice vintage horn for one of his aspiring students. His face lit up playing The Martin and the sound was amazing listening on the other end. I highly recommend you have someone play your The Martin Tenor in front of you to appreciate the sound from a different perspecitve. He AB'd with his 1930's Conn RTH 10m. His Conn was nice, loud and refined. The Martin was ballsy and in your face. I never was going to sell it to him but after hearing him play it I am definitely keeping this baby. It has the guts to be heard for that blues gig. I much prefer this over my King Silver Sonic when it comes to those types of gigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.