Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Texting on the bandstand

Quote Originally Posted by Taragot View Post
    And I can beat that one: A dentist treated me, while looking at a screen directly beside my mouth with a world championship soccer game on it. I'm glad, it was 0:0
    Thats perfectly understandable, better then having him fretting away about the score anyway. You have to cut people some slack during the world cup... Texting on the other hand, not so much.

I may growl occasionally, but I never bite

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2011 SethVaughn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CooolJazzz View Post
    ...such as taking a drink while the band is playing (regardless of whether it's beer or water). Even on informal bar gigs or outdoor gigs, I hate seeing a musician swigging from a bottle of water or a glass of beer while someone else is soloing. It's unprofessional, disrespectful, and distracting.
    While I agree about the beer, how in the World is it unprofessional to put down a bottle of water on a gig? I, for one, sweat like a trussed hog under stage lights and have learned through painful personal experience that failing to remain hydrated is a quick trip to a split lip.

As for cellphones on the stand, I hate it. When my wife was 9 months pregnant and ready to drop any minute I HAD to take a gig out of town to keep a long standing gig. I had my phone on my stand the whole time and felt like a total heel for it, but it really was one of those emergency situations. Didn't mean it was fun though.

Distinguished SOTW Researcher Frank D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm old school, but texting or making/taking a call during a set and you're gone. I mean during or between songs. Take care of personal business on the break.

Water bottles and drinks - I saw TOP Saturday and they would take a quick hit from a water bottle between tunes, which is ok in my book, especially if you're working up quite a sweat during your gig. But taking a swig of something during a tune like on a rest or during a solo is a bit rude, distracting the audience from what should be the focal point - the soloist or vocalist. Again, wait until the tune is over, show some respect for your bandmates.

In general, I often wonder what people who have to be constantly on the phone must be saying that's so important it can't wait. Will the world stop rotating on it's axis if they don't communicate that very second?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    But taking a swig of something during a tune like on a rest or during a solo is a bit rude, distracting the audience from what should be the focal point - the soloist or vocalist. Again, wait until the tune is over, show some respect for your bandmates.
    What if you are the vocalist and need it for your throat? When I do that gravel voice thing, I'll often need a swig of something in the middle of a song. This is enlightening though, as even as an instrumentalist I didn't know this was such a sin.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been guilty of 'drinking on the job' among other things, but am certainly much more mindful of it thanks to this thread! I've just played so much in bars and at informal jams that the bad habits sometimes carries over to other gigs.

I apologize, I won't do it nearly as often again! :-)
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do ocassionally take a swig of water or beer while on the bandstand. I wouldn't do it constantly, though. To me that's a lot differernt than texting or talking on a cell phone!

I don't care if someone is taping because that can't really be controlled anymore. I see people in the audience holding up cellphones or those tiny video recorders fairly often on a gig. The first time it happened it bugged me a little, but now I take it as a compliment. Nowadays anything you do in public could be taped/recorded, put up on the internet, and spread all over the globe. That's just reality now. I'm really, really glad it wasn't that way when I was 'young and dumb,' though.

Forum Contributor 2012 chinux79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    I guess I'm old school, but texting or making/taking a call during a set and you're gone. I mean during or between songs. Take care of personal business on the break.
    Totally agree. I do not even take personal calls when I'm working in my office. I guess I got that from my dad. He made it clear to my mom or anybody at home to never call him to his work unless it was an emergency. However, I do txt when I'm at the office. The other thing I live by is that if someone calls me and for some reason I do not answer, if they don't leave a voice mail then it means the call wasn't important so I don't call back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3