Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Texting on the bandstand

Quote Originally Posted by thadnoland View Post
    I wonder if he ate what he found up there?
    Word is he used it for a baffle on his Link...

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The use of cell phones in general has made our society incredibly impersonal, and very disrespectful IMHO. When you are at a gig, or a dress rehearsal, that means you are at work. I agree that cell phones do not belong in the workplace for personal use...doesn't matter where you work.

My day job is in health care. It makes me sick to see how many patients, who could very well be any of our parents or grandparents, get neglected while trained medical personnel are texting and talking on cell phones. The most common answer to the question of why they need to be constantly on the cell phone is something to the effect of, "I keep it on me in case of an emergency with my spouse/ kids."

I was a kid before cell phones were out there, and I got by just fine...so did my parents.

I have one, but I talk about 200 minutes per month and text about 20-30 times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    The use of cell phones in general has made our society incredibly impersonal, and very disrespectful IMHO. When you are at a gig, or a dress rehearsal, that means you are at work. I agree that cell phones do not belong in the workplace for personal use...doesn't matter where you work.

My day job is in health care. It makes me sick to see how many patients, who could very well be any of our parents or grandparents, get neglected while trained medical personnel are texting and talking on cell phones. The most common answer to the question of why they need to be constantly on the cell phone is something to the effect of, "I keep it on me in case of an emergency with my spouse/ kids."

I was a kid before cell phones were out there, and I got by just fine...so did my parents.

I have one, but I talk about 200 minutes per month and text about 20-30 times.
    +1 I may be a kid but it pisses me off how everyone is always texting at practices and such

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our keyboard player stopped playing mid song to answer a text from his then under 21 girl friend who was at the front door of the club and the doorman would not let her in. He wanted to leave the band stand right then to get her in. The band leader ( drummer) told him NO and wait till we finished the set. His latest BS at our last gig was leaving the stage during a song because he had to pee. No class.

Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I think it's an illness...a classic case of addiction, no different than the internet addiction we heard so much about when so many people were first getting "online". It's totally unprofessional on the bandstand no matter what the excuse is...but so are many other things that people are often willing to overlook...such as taking a drink while the band is playing (regardless of whether it's beer or water). Even on informal bar gigs or outdoor gigs, I hate seeing a musician swigging from a bottle of water or a glass of beer while someone else is soloing. It's unprofessional, disrespectful, and distracting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think part of it is that people feel that they're good enough to text and play at the same time. I think they believe they're good enough to not have to pay complete attention to the music. Especially if it's music that's been played to death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is unprofessional and the leader should warn the musician doing it and then ditch him if he persists. It is rude and disrespectfull to the audience, and fellow band members . It is no different than sitting in
    a restaurant with someone and they are texting or speaking to someone else on the cell. I have seen couples who looked like they were on a date and one of them is rapping on their cell...what could be that important...nothing thats what.
    I had a band leader of the big band who wouldn't tolerate guys going on the band stand with a drink, and especially having
    a drink during the performance. He told me he survived as a musician for 50 years plus because he stuck by the rule no drinking on the job..he said he would go to town after the gig though. Texting on the band stand...give me a break

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now the $64,000.00 question:

When playing live, if he were able to would Desmond have texted during the drum solo of Take 5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely if ever check my phone during a practice, I'd never do it at a performance. It's just something you don't do.

One time we saw a tuba player in our band with his phone out so we took it and set his language settings to French. Then it got taken up by our director.
    "By seven o'clock the orchestra has arrived---no thin five piece affair but a pit full of oboes and trombones and saxophones and viols and cornets and piccolos and low and high drums." - F. Scott Fitzgerald ; The Great Gatsby

Forum Contributor 2012 chinux79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People just need to know when it's not appropriate to txt or take a phone call on a cell phone. During rehearsal or gigs, turn the phone off. It distracts your fellow band members and it also takes away your focus from the music. If you go to a show as part of the audience turn the phone off. And most importantly...do not talk on the phone while driving!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dha View Post
    It is unprofessional and the leader should warn the musician doing it and then ditch him if he persists. It is rude and disrespectfull to the audience, and fellow band members . It is no different than sitting in
    a restaurant with someone and they are texting or speaking to someone else on the cell. I have seen couples who looked like they were on a date and one of them is rapping on their cell...what could be that important...nothing thats what.
    I had a band leader of the big band who wouldn't tolerate guys going on the band stand with a drink, and especially having
    a drink during the performance. He told me he survived as a musician for 50 years plus because he stuck by the rule no drinking on the job..he said he would go to town after the gig though. Texting on the band stand...give me a break
    That is the most annoying thing in the world. I have had it done to me...And I'm guilty of doing it too a /couple/ of times...Maybe that's why I don't have a woman.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ramminger View Post
    I can beat that. I actually played with some guys where the guitar player got and TOOK a phone call during a song.. . .
    And I can beat that one. I was on a gig one time and noticed the drummer had set up a tiny TV next to his drum kit and he was watching a ball game during the gig, while playing! At first I couldn't believe my eyes. Once i was convinced he really was watching TV while playing (!!!), I fired him after that gig. To this day, I can't believe it.

Texting or talking on a cell phone on the bandstand during a performance is just as bad, maybe even worse. Totally unprofessional.

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    And now the $64,000.00 question:

When playing live, if he were able to would Desmond have texted during the drum solo of Take 5?
    No, but he would have during a bass solo. Everyone talks, why not text?
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I can beat that one. I was on a gig one time and noticed the drummer had set up a tiny TV next to his drum kit and he was watching a ball game during the gig, while playing! At first I couldn't believe my eyes. Once i was convinced he really was watching TV while playing (!!!), I fired him after that gig. To this day, I can't believe it.
    And I can beat that one: A dentist treated me, while looking at a screen directly beside my mouth with a world championship soccer game on it. I'm glad, it was 0:0
    saxes: sop:Yanagisawa S-800/ S-80 F alto:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal tenor:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal flutes: picc: YPC 62 fl:Forest/Brannen afl: Altus bfl: W.Wetzel/Cooper clarinets: ebcl: Amati/Riffault cl:Noblet artist/Vandoren B45 bcl: Forest/ Clarc Forbes Debut taragot: Timisua/Zinner bassoon: Selmer Signet/Legère

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vonbraig View Post
    I look over and he's taping one of my solos.
    Did you charge them? :P
    YAS 62II, [Eugene Rosseau NC4],
    Choosing open holed flute or not: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=108257

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverselmer View Post
    I will often pull out my phone and record part of somebody's solo, nobody in the band minds.
    Likewise- I'm not sure why recording another player's soloing is that bad (ok- it'd be polite ot ask but I don't really buy that its a big deal). the texting, however is another matter...
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Theo Wanne Amma & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CooolJazzz View Post
    It's totally unprofessional on the bandstand no matter what the excuse is...
    Up until last Saturday, I'd have agreed. Here's a plausible "excuse". I got a call on Thursday that my Saturday night would be hosting an old blues legend -Tommy Brown - He had a #1 record in the 50's and a bunch of singles - Anyway...it was his 80th birthday and we were to play a half dozen of his tunes with him sitting in. One song in particular had an intro that was all sax. Just a half dozen or so notes, but it kept dropping out of my head and charts are a no-no on stage with this band. Being as I had both a Friday night gig and a Saturday afternoon Derby party gig, there was little to no time to practice this stuff. So - I loaded it on my handy iphone and headed out. Tommy tells a lot of jokes and interacts well with the audience. He also just calls songs at random. After each tune, I'd put the iphone against my ear while he was doing his thing and listen to that damn intro so I'd be ready if / when he called the song. Finally it happened - and we were off and running. Too bad he changed the freaking key on us. I still flubbed it, but it was a great to at least think I had it right (thanks to my handy iphone) until the rest of the band came in - go figure

As for drinking on stage while you're not playing - it's a great reason to be a sax player instead of a bass player or drummer. Those guys work hard so we can drink! What else are we supposed to do while we stand around half the time waiting for our solo? You can only snap your fingers and just "look cool" for so long before you get parched.....

Where I don't have to boil the water before I drink it..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GAWD! I thought that could happen only here in the People's Republic of Cellphones (pronounced mo-BILES). Several weeks ago, I went to Yangzhou, the veritable hub of Chinese culture, to listen to a band and watched as the singer texted somebody during the pianist's solo.

Here, the texter's thumb ailment is rampant. I've seen four people traveling on an e-bike while the driver texted as he crossed four lanes of traffic, completely oblivious to the fact that he narrowly escaped becoming roadkill by four different manufacturers' automobiles.

People are text crazy here. Bus drivers text while driving in the fog.

Waitresses text while they take your order.

The government brags about the very low rate of per-capita illegitimate birth. It isn't because of personal restraint; it's a permutation of Darwin's theory of natural selection: somebody better might come along soon, VERY soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that is ridiculous. Emergency, or family issues notwithstanding, apparently the gig isn't so important to him.
    Last edited by PercussiveAlto; 05-10-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desmond would've texted in fore-shortened Haiku during Take 5.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast