WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    SOTW Lead Administrator SAXISMYAXE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones

Enviroguy sent me this PM today:

I've have been receiving periodic updates from Lance Burton. These mainly concern creation of new tone hole chimneys for my 12M bari. Some of the photos included with these updates show what appears to be my saxophone. In the last few weeks, Lances updates have shown him shown him doing land surveying and not saxophone repair. I imagine this sideline with his families business is how he helps support himself and is probably necessary while he is working on backlogged horns.

Lance has given me a target date of June 25th. So I hope to see some updates soon of him finishing up my sax. I will post anything indicating my horn is nearing completion.

Feel free to post this in the thread on SOTW as you see fit.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones

Received this update today:

Quote Originally Posted by Enviroguy
    Mike,

I've been contacted by several SOTW members asking if Lance at MartinMods was able to deliver my Conn 12M by the June 25th target date. So I want to give an update to post in the related thread.

On June 19th I received an email from Lance saying that the tone holes had been machined but the sax would not be complete by the June 25th target date. He also sent the following photo of the tone holes. They do look very nice:

21tone_holes.jpg

I responded back on June 20th with a new suggested target of August 20th. I knew he would have a lot to do to get my sax put back together and I know he is a perfectionist. But I think it's important to set a new target date even if you miss the first one. At least for me, this keeps me focused helps me prioritize work.

On June 27th I received an email from Lance showing one of the tone holes installed:

installedtone_hole1.jpg

I clearly believe my sax got sidelined before our big blow up here on SOTW. But I now believe Lance is making progress and is doing what he said he would do. I plan to continue having faith as long as I continue to get photo updates.

I've suggested that Lance might want to draw up two contract forms for use in the future. Every customer would sign one of these when they drop off or send him a sax. One contract is for small critical work with a necessary completion date. The other contract would be for experimental projects where the customers would acknowledge that they understand that Lance would be doing open-ended creative and developmental work. Since Lance does this kind of creative work so well and at such a low cost, I'm sure many players would opt to send an extra un-needed sax for experimentation if they firmly knew this from the beginning. The real root problem, to date, is that some of us didn't know this going in.

In summary, I think Lance is genuine and plans to do what he says he will do. I believe he is making progress on my saxophone and that he plans to finish it with some level of priority. As long as he appears to be dealing in good faith with me, I will continue to have faith in him. I would love to have my sax back by August 20th so my son could use it a few times before he starts college. But we will just have to wait and see.
    Nothing else in the way of progress or communication between Lance and the others still left in the dark received to date. Fingers crossed, at the very least Enviroguy may see his horn someday.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received from Gilson today:

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter
    Hi Mike,

put it also on the thread update please...

It´s going to complete 2 years now (August) I sent my CONN new wonder Tenor is prestine condition to Lance Burton. The sax was overhauled and played with a pretty nice sound. The finish was old and for me perfect and I just wished a more modern + comfortable pinky table. the bonade pipe and new receiver tenon for the neck were also offered.
    The whole deal was presented like a common thing. No informations about experiments or challenges to do the work. He was offering the whole work by eBay as a package.
    As I contacted him I explained that I couldn´t afford sending my beloved horn to get it lost. He gave me his word he would deal seriously.
    Now dear colleagues around the world I still don´t have my horn back after almost 2 Years deadlines crossed, parts lost, it hurts me right now to imagine my horn lying around on a corner, forgotten, but not by me.

Before I left to Africa to work with the underprivileged I transferred the ownership to EricM so that he could recover the sax and give me back. The deadline was December 2010, a 4th deadline also. The sax is still there. The pics Eric got from him "as sign of the progress of the work" were the same I had from November 2009!
    It´s a nightmare. I will my sax back. First for the love I have to it, 2nd for the amount of money I paid for the sax+overhauling and modifications made and payment in advance to Lance to do what he still didn´t and 3rd, because I am still in need of a tenor. In best case my own which I chosed after years trying many of them.

Now people! How to recover it? Can it be that I lost my sax forever? no communication, no progress, no reports. Just silence. That´s kidnapping.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, another one joins the ranks of victims:

Blueskiestenor

Default MartinMods/Lance Burton

Hello Mike,

I just found the post about MartinMods/Lance Burton, last night. Unfortunately, I wasn't involved when it started, as my sax had only been with him two months, which didn't cause me much alarm. However, it has now been more than six months since I've sent it, in January, for a simple overhaul (and he convinced me that it needed the tone holes resoldered).

This really is a frustrating matter at the moment, since he, before adding the tone hole job, had stated an approximate time frame of a month--though had not promised, something which wouldn't have meant much but would have been good. So far, I'm out the sax and $600, and I'm another poor college student who is struggling to get book money and other stuff for school.

I would like to add, though, that I am going to be trying as much recourse as I can.

Finally, I'd just like to say I just want my sax overhauled and finished and playing nice. That's all. But obviously, I, as well as others, just haven't got that.

Thanks,
    Last edited by SAXISMYAXE; 07-28-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Updated information.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Hey Mike,

Lance has sent me a tracking number to return my 10M incomplete in the state that it is in. I realize the job isn't done but I did in fairness ask it to be returned in whatever state it is in. Neck mod has been complete and I think the Benade pip, a couple of key touches were removed and repositioned to make the right hand more comfortable. The F# was supposed to be repositioned, so I'm without the chromatic F# but it's been patched so there's no hole. There are no pads or springs which is too bad because there were when I sent it. I've been told there are other pressing things at hand. Lance told me he took detailed measurements of the 10M and will fabricated some keywork that can be added later. Now I have to find someone to put pads and springs in it. I think I'll go see my friend Chris Forsyth at Sam Ash or Bob Ackerman to set this horn up when I get some money. I think Lance thought I should have written something sooner but I told him I wouldn't post an update until I got the horn back. This is the single most frustrating business transaction I've ever ever ever had. I bear no ill will to Lance, but had I known that I would get my horn back nearly two years later with less keys and pads than when I sent it I would never have gone through with this. I work in a very small shop where everything is done in-house and by hand and I can understand that projects like this are tricky, but being upfront with a customer if you can't do something in a timely manner is paramount. This single issue has been my problem for about 18 months. I will report more when I physically have the horn in my hands and I can bring it to a reputable tech to have it padded and re-sprung.
    Last edited by SAXISMYAXE; 08-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From member TenorManDan,

Quote Originally Posted by TenorManDan
    i just saw the thread for the first time

i live in/near Seattle. if anyone wants their horn picked up and shipped, i will do it for whatever it costs me. assuming he releases it of course.

pass me along or add me to the thread...

Dan
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update from Walter Webb. Mercifully, it looks like demands are being met finally, and people are getting their property back:

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Webb
    Now that I have my Martin Magna alto back in my hands, I have done all I can to bring my personal Lance Burton saga to an end. In summary, I spent $600 on a DeLuxe LH pinky table modification and a small spot of lacquer touch up. Lance got the horn in May of '09, which means he kept it for 2 years, 3 months. How long was I willing to wait? No longer.

From the many emails I have, back and forth to Lance, there are distinct patterns which emerge. He constantly upsells new work, new ideas, new materials, new sonic analysis. I felt like a guy on the used car lot being hustled. The idea of smoke and mirrors came to my mind. I feel he does this to buy more time as well as increase the job, although he never said anything about a new price. Perhaps all the new additons were to be included in the original price quote, in which case he is just getting deeper in the hole every time. Perhaps there would have been a moment of reckoning at the end when the real bill was presented. He always seems to be overloaded and under great pressure. Normal work seems to bore him, and it appears that he devotes his time to visionary stuff. He seems to have no clue that a customer might want their horn back after a couple of years, yet he is unable to estimate any delivery date. Faster moving, smaller jobs take precedence over bigger jobs.

I consented originally to the DeLuxe pinky table and a repad/regulation job. After a year, it morphed into his Mk6-style fully articulated/linked pinky table (his ongoing research project), his Conical Tenon neck and body receiver upgrade, a neck "zinger" and 2 vent pips a'la Bonade design. As the seasons passed, I got the picture that this Mk6 pinky table was going to take forever, so I told him to cancel that, and just do the DeLuxe table, which I believe he has done numerous times and sold parts thru Ebay. He agreed that would speed things up a lot. After all, the parts were already fabricated and the base parts installed, and a few months is absolutely the max time it takes to do a great repad/reg. On 7/10/10, he emailed two pictures and said: "Walter, Here is the finished Deluxe LH Mod. Came out very nice. The Bb doesn't tilt as much as a Mk6, but it does tilt, and that really makes the slide between Bb and C#, either way, much easier. The articulated C# is flawless. This is the big tamale. The rest will go quickly. Lance"

After several more months (Oct/Nov 2010), when it was obvious it was not going quickly like he said, I decided to demand he finish by Christmas. He emailed back: "OK, Christmas it is."

After Christmas passed, and New Year's 2011, I began to talk of pulling the plug wherever he was in progress. He persuaded me to wait longer.

Finally, on July 25, 2011, with no evidence of any further work, I was finished, and wrote this email: "Lance, based upon my complete lack of confidence in your ability to finish my horn, after 2 1/2 years, I am now canceling our arrangement and requesting that you cease and desist all work, and return this sax to me immediately. I have a better idea: I will fly up to Seattle and take it back personally. Is this your correct address and phone number?
    xxx xxxx xxxx
    Lynwood, WA
    xxx-xxx-xxxx
    Give me some verification that you have recieved this email, and that you are willing to make speedy arrangements to return my horn."

He promptly agreed to box it up and mail it back, ASAP. For $70, he made a double box, did a fabulous packing job, and I got it on 7/8/11. Further, I commend Lance for taking the time to explain what would still be needed, with pictures, should my repairman attempt to finish the job.

Today (8/10/11), I took it to Jeff Alkire in Sacramento for an examination and rebuild estimate. Jeff says that the Pinky table job is really good, admirable in it's quality of design and execution. Lance is clearly talented, and I wish he had the business skills that would have allowed him to finish my job in a timely manner. Incidentally, the C# to Bb is articulation/timing is unfinished, and not "flawless" despite what he said in the 7/10/10 email. Despite my instruction to do the simple DeLuxe pinky table, Lance went ahead and tried to link them with a tilting plate and link bar (sort of a hybrid Mk6 table). Jeff is going to remove the link and solder the Bb plate solid. The alternative, would be as Lance explained: "To make an articulated C#, your guy must cut the long C# rod in two. The bottom part gets replaced by a 3/8" shorter hinge tube, with a hinge pin ended, hinge rod. The end of the top part gets a new hinge hole drilled into it. A new post goes between the two halves. The two halves must be connected by a tab/spring clutch and the B/C# rods get two small mating tabs." Not so finished, is it?

Two things undermined my confidence in Lance Burton, besides the interminable passage of time. He scared the crap out of me twice. First, he emailed me after about a year that my horn had turned up missing, probably stolen! Then, a few days later, he said he found it high up on a shelf behind some boxes. Second, he emailed me that he was going to cut the main body and rotate the stack! For what?!! Oh yeah, he realized, it was not necessary for my Deluxe pinky table job. This apparent deficit of attention does not inspire confidence in a customer.

Lance may have misrepresented how far along the job had progressed from time to time, because it is clear that he never started the rebuild, because the rest of my sax is untouched, and the pinky table mod was not really finished as he said. I have the impression that he juggles jobs, and my horn got placed on the back burner once he had my money. Cash flow is a constant necessity, and the old jobs get backed up.

The following summary is my own opinion which is solely based upon my own experience: I don't believe Lance Burton is a bad person, or that he has done anything in my case that warrants legal action. I believe Lance is a terrible businessman, and is unable to manage his accounts, schedule jobs in order on his calendar and make demonstrable progress. I believe Lance grossly underestimates time in his own head, quotes ridiculously low prices, and is therefore buried in unfinished jobs whilst trying to make a living. A case could me made that I got my money's worth of work for $600 just with what I have so far. Jeff Alkire thought the pinky table job could have fetched that alone, much less a complete overhaul and more. I believe the actual work that Lance does will be top-notch, and worth every penny, IF you can give him your horn for an unknown number of years. Had I known this, I would have never gone down this road.

I am forwarding a copy of this to Lance. Perhaps he will respond on SOTW or his own site.

Walter Webb
    BTW, since he is no longer a member due to this fiasco, I will gladly post Lance's reply if he contacts me with it via email.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by SAXISMYAXE
    Hi Chris,

So have you had time to inventory the horn, what he did or didn't do, and any losses and impressions yet? He seems to think that I'm not posting the results as they roll in, which is entirely untrue as you well know.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueskiestenor
    Yes. I'm very sorry. I was sick up up until the beginning of last week, and then quite busy since. Having been the first (well maybe only one of the first) to get his gear back, I should have written sooner.

My impressions of Lance's work: overall good. I have one major qualm, though--I can't play below A1 or so without honking and very flat, as well D2 to A2 is unstable, which seems to indicate that the A pad or the pip pad wasn't seated properly. Other than that, great work on the resolder of the tone holes. I don't mind the heating discoloration. As well, the front-f key was crafted well (but not affixed, since it was shipped before that could happen). I am quite pleased with the quality of work for the most part.

But about the timing--very poor. Of course, that's been stated. People have been waiting for years. I've only waited sixth month, yet that still is a long time. The inconsistencies in emails, with the sax approaching completion next week continually is just frustrating. I wouldn't have minded waiting a month or two, or even three. Four and more was really getting overbounds for me. I can see that Lance is a experimenter--usually resulting in a surprise, sometimes good (nice left hand key mods, etc.) some times not. Unfortunately, combined with his incredibly low rates, he just has a hard time focusing on and completing work.

I would hesitate to use Lance again. I just wish he could be consistent about the work and not continually drag things out.

-Chris
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by Enviroguy
    Mike,

Below is my update for the MartinMods thread.

I believe it is time for an update on work being done on my saxophone by Lance Burton at MartinMods. To recap, I sent my 1937 Conn 12M bari sax to Lance a little over two years ago. The sax needed new tone hole chimneys all around, some dent removal and mechanical work on the keys. Lance is also supposed to refinish the horn, remove the added nickel plate from the keys and engrave it with a custom Conn-style art deco lady (my wife) that I drew up for him.

Since July 1, I’ve received seventeen emails from Lance. About half of these deal with new equipment he has acquired or new processes being developed. But the other half deal directly with my sax in some way or another. We’ve also discussed the “going’s-on” here on SOTW. Some of the points we talked about that should probably be shared include the following:

1. Lance believes the number of customers dissatisfied with him has been exaggerated. He says that he has responded to customer inquiries and has offered copies of the emails. On his own site, he is posting explanations of some specific issues that he believes have been misrepresented. Here's the link:

http://www.saxophoneoasis.com/websonmysax.html

2. Lance seems to have a very heavy personal desire to complete the saxes that have been sent to him. But he says he will return anyone’s sax that demands it. I see that this is happening.
    3. Lance says that his real issue is time and not money. He has been able to buy some new equipment to help speed up his work. From my point of view, Lance really doesn’t seem to be in this for the money anyway. He just has a strong desire to do these modifications as a unique art form. Some of us that sent him saxes for heavy modification didn't understand this because we've never been around Lance in person. We thought we were entering into business deals while Lance seems to have looked on us as partners in experimentation.

In the last 45 days, Lance has offered the following on my Conn 12M:

Further work on my new Martin-style tone-holes with his new machine.

His practice with his new engraving tools.

New design for the LHP cluster.

More engraving practice. This is the lower half of the image I gave him from my 12M.

In summary, I believe Lance is working toward completion of my sax. As I’ve said many times, this whole thing appears to have been an issue of expectations. And I believe Lance takes on too many projects at one time and then underestimates (to himself) how long it will take to complete them. I'm often guilty of that one myself. If Lance offered his future customers a contract that truly outlined the indefinite time frame and experimental nature of this kind of work, I believe he would still get plenty of folks wanting his unique custom work. And those folks would be much happier in the end. If I get my sax back with the beautiful modifications I anticipate, I would then gladly do business with Lance again since I now believe that I understand the nature of the work and the way Lance views it.

I’ll report back once I see more work being performed specifically on my sax.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Administrator note

These are being posted as I get them, unaltered. Mr. Burton is spewing some sort of trash talk that there is a mad conspiracy to falsify the accounts customers have sent me and those self posted by them. As though these individuals have an Art Bell/Coast to Coast sort of mad tale or vendetta, rather than a real problem getting their horns and/or money returned, and the work promised and paid for completed. [rolleyes]

I have no dog in this fight other than to assist those SOTW members who have been struggling to get some sort of answers for the many contracted jobs that were placed with Lance via this forum, and long unresolved. They contacted me hoping to get some sort of restitution, and went public with this only as a last resort.

I would suggest that less trash talking and diversionary tactics take place, and instead more time be devoted to working on the LONG overdue instruments if he is now all of the sudden worried about his deeply tarnished reputation and how to redeem it. If that is even possible at this point.

The victims collectively rattling the cage and giving the hot foot is what has garnered the results, tardy and meager as they may be, we are seeing recently. I have no doubt in my mind about that. Without that, sincere progress would continue to be non existent as it had been.

SOTW won't be conducting an online tête-à-tête of mudslinging between his site and ours, which seems to be his intention. However a clarification was definitely required here.

As I've said all along, I will post Lance's updates too, as long as he emails them to me. He has yet to make an accounting or submit anything despite claims that he is not being given an opportunity.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update, posted EXACTLY as received as has been the case with all other messages:

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Thanks for the info Mike.

I want to confirm that I received my 10M back ... not functional but it's back. I want a tech to make an evaluation but you can at least let the viewership know that I got it back in my hands and that more will follow after a proper evaluation. I can't even begin to tell you how upset this whole process has made me. I paid a lot for the horn and had overhauled it before sending it to Lance ... I thought his deal was too good to be true. Now I'll have to find someone to do the pads and re-spring at an affordable price.

More later

SK
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the individual being addressed in the complaints with this dealer evaluation seems to think that correspondence being sent to me is being posted incompletely in some way, I'm now posting them as screen captured images.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't even dignify the other, utter bull crap that he is posting to himself on his smokescreen of a personal site. I think it reveals all by itself what those complaining in this thread have had to put up with quite blatantly, without any assistance.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the latest PM to me. As promised, I am now posting them as screen capture images:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM sent to me by member Mal 2. Not posted as a screen image due to lengthy size.

Mal 2
    Distinguished SOTW Member

It has been over two years for me too (sent in October 2009). Below is the latest correspondence I've had with Lance.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    To: 'Scott Sakurai' <sbsakurai@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:10 AM
    Subject: RE: *poke*

Read this: http://www.saxophoneoasis.com/milandroresponse.html

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:15 PM
    To: info@martinmods.com

[Personal health details redacted by Mal-2.]

If this new system will eliminate the problem of having to reach back for an oversprung C#, and it lets you articulate it below like originally planned, then sign me up. At this point I can't be picky about which way the key swivels.

--- On Tue, 8/23/11, info@martinmods.com <info@martinmods.com> wrote:

To: "'Scott Sakurai'" <sbsakurai@yahoo.com>
    Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 6:37 PM

Scott,

Very sorry to hear that. I've been curing my skin melanomas with food grade, 35% hydrogen peroxide, resulting in baby-butt pink perfect skin, but only because the skin cells regenerate. [Personal health details, and Lance's suggested treatment options redacted by Mal-2.]

attached pict: this is what I recommend all the mk6 conversion clients switch to. the Deluxe vintage tiliting/linked spatulas on extended posts. The results surpass any mechanism on the market, and it is much faster/easier to fabricate.

Lance

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:17 PM
    Subject: *poke*

I hate to have to tell you this, but [Personal health details redacted by Mal-2]. Please finish the horn while I'm still capable of playing it, even if that means cutting some corners. Let me know where things are.

--- On Thu, 7/28/11, info@martinmods.com <info@martinmods.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: FW: Horn
    To: "'Scott Sakurai'" <sbsakurai@yahoo.com>
    Date: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 1:07 PM

http://www.martinmods.com/padprocess.html

Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:58 AM
    Subject: RE: FW: Horn

Also remember that I can do my own silverplating now... so don't worry excessively if you wear off some of the original plating. As long as I can remove any oxidation, and get to it with a brush, I can restore the finish. I might need a new bottle of solution, but it's not THAT expensive.

By the way, silver brush-plates exceptionally easily, with a relatively cheap kit from Caswell (http://www.caswellplating.com/). Gold plates easily too, as long as you lay down silver first. Copper is easy but tarnishes extremely easily (like from a fingerprint) because it is so thin (so use it only if you intend to clear-coat over it, or it will never be touched), and nickel is rather difficult to brush-plate. When I covered up my alterations to my nickel-plated Aquilasax, I ended up using silver because the nickel just wasn't taking.

I just thought this (silver and gold plating) might be something you might want to add to your toolkit. Just be aware the gold solution "spoils" in a matter of months. It supposedly has a shelf life of six months, but in my experience it was more like four. However, within those four months, it worked really well. I managed to completely re-finish two Otto Link STMs (tenor and bari). The tenor piece looks damn near original, while the bari piece is hazy because I used abrasives on it before replating. Then I plated everything in sight before the solution could spoil, and still only managed to use half of the 4 ounce bottle.

BTW, do you have an estimated time to completion? The original two month estimate has become almost two years, so I know you aren't always on target with your estimates, but I'd still appreciate one.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an update of Gilson's horn from the individual doing the restoration currently. He wishes to remain anonymous at this point, but let me assure everyone that the tech resurrecting this poor horn from the dead is extremely well regarded, and known to everyone in the saxophone community. He has done this sort of miracle repair work in the past:

Mike,
    Here is a cut & paste of an email I sent Gilson on the first impressions of his Conn:

"My first impressions after seeing the "Lady"......LB needs to be beaten to within any inch of his life! I was soooo angry after seeing what he did to your sax. The ONLY keys that are original to your sax that are here are the low Bb (which he had started to modify), the thumb octave key and the left hand palm keys. My wife has taken a bunch of pictures to show how the sax arrived.

The big ugly patch on the back of the body IS NOT for strength as he claims bit it covers his hideous patchwork to fill the F# tone hole. The neck socket on the body is not the correct one for the horn. What was he thinking?

I have already disassembled everything including the body, bell assembly, and keys for cleaning and repairs. The body has a bad bend in it from whatever he was doing. Once that is repaired I will start working on the new F# tone hole with a rolled edge like the original.

The plans are to fit it with modern Yamaha, Keilwerth or Selmer clone key work, not a custom mess like LB attempted."

I don't know if you would want to add this to the sticky in "Evaluations: Lance Burton at MartinMods....", if you do be my guest just list me as an unnamed source.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Happy end in sight!

Unbeliavable, incredible but true... my destroyed Conn tenor is being ressurrected from the death. It was dead and the only part I could use of the once collectors horn were the neck, maybe.

But Jeff Frazier, Doc Frazier, offered me his help to revert a tragedy and a shame and the result is... a new horn is going to born using the mortal rests of this fantastic instrument.

I will put here the pictures I get from Doc Frazier from J&J Woodwinds. It's gonna be a killer, a killer horn with black pads, custom parts, modern mechanics and an exclusive new finishing. The original neck will be converted to an underslug octave key... an expensive process but worth every penny.

last pics sent by Dr. Frazier showing the bizarre patch on the F#s tonehole made by an unserious pretender technician, may God be merciful to him.

stay tuned

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progress reports on Gilson's horn will be posted here as they come in.

Having seen Jeff's phenomenal work in past resurrections of destroyed horns, I know everyone will be delighted with the results.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12