WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jazz View Post
    Good news! President Obama has decided to put a no-fly zone into place over Lance's home, and all incoming UPS, USPS, and FEDEX trucks will be fired upon. Outgoing packages containing returned saxes will still be permitted.
    F22 Raptors, and F15 Eagles continue to keep the incoming roads clear.

If I had work to get done, after viewing this thread. I would rather pay more with a guarantee that work will be completed by X date, then pay less and wait 2+ years, especially with no or limited interaction with the tech

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones

Quote Originally Posted by sax-ony View Post
    I do think this is a fair question. I use two repairers in the UK both of whom have the equipment and the abilities to do the kind of modifications that Lance Burton advertises. The fabrication of new keys and modification of existing ones is a normal part of a good repairer's job, and can be undertaken in a professional and timely manner.
    Are you sure? Let's put things in the proper perspective. Tenons, F-keys, pips, thumb hooks, tone hole repair, no problem, I agree. No big deal. I'd appreciate you and saxtek, however, hipping me to those techs who are making a complete LH table mechanism - G#/C#/B/Bb arms and spatulas, of original design, from brass stock, and are getting them to line up and work right, or complete, interchangeable, LH G#/C#/B/Bb key sets (the former with rods, arms, and pad cups), of original design, from brass stock, or doing complete Vintage to Mk6 mechanism conversions of original design, completely from brass stock, because I don't know of any, much less any that do it exclusively. Adapting pre-existing or prefabricated (Yamaha) key-work doesn't count. That's kindergarten.

I mean no disrespect, but if you have never done any of those things yourself, and you obviously haven't, you just don't know what your are talking about. It's the difference between checkers and 3 dimensional chess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SAXISMYAXE View Post
    I've done all that can be done to give him the opportunity to turn around these indisputably bad business dealings, with questionable results from Mr Burton. ONE PERSON is receiving communication once again as a result of this thread, and we shall see how this pans out. The remainder are being left in the dark to wildly varying degrees, with one ignored blatantly. At this point, any news is good news, so the saga continues.

His account of past infractions is spurious at best, and really should remain as a private record between the offending party and SOTW per our policy. However since he took it upon himself to dredge it up publicly with a decidedly fictitious and self serving retelling, I will say that a repeat of that tirade (as it actually occurred) will not be permitted now in accordance with our house rules any more than it was then. At any rate, it is irrelevant to the problem we have before us now, and any feather ruffling of his ego past and present takes a back seat to taking care of business here.

My first instinct was to cut Mr. Burton lose and save the membership and forum from further direct and collateral damage. However I do not wish the board to be accused of not allowing him to defend his side of things, and communicate any attempts at rectification should they take place.

I WILL NOT be closing this thread as long as those struggling to get their horns back have update information to add to it. As was initially intended, it is hoped that Lance will avail himself to keep a truthful and up to date account of progress here as well.

Time will tell.
    Well, I'm glad that I am being allowed to disagree, and I do. I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of what is going on here than you do, and I am certain that I am reporting it more accurately.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having peoples saxophones for 18 months ? Thats awful and not excusable , you would this that you would try and make things better , but you seem arrogant and for what reason? Good luck to you !

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    F22 Raptors, and F15 Eagles continue to keep the incoming roads clear.

If I had work to get done, after viewing this thread. I would rather pay more with a guarantee that work will be completed by X date, then pay less and wait 2+ years, especially with no or limited interaction with the tech
    That's a roger, JC....you have permission to take out the target if you get a clear shot......but try not to hit any saxophones....

SOTW Lead Administrator SAXISMYAXE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMods View Post
    Well, I'm glad that I am being allowed to disagree, and I do. I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of what is going on here than you do, and I am certain that I am reporting it more accurately.
    I'm not pretty sure, I'm certain that I know what is going on with your customers, and their dissatisfaction. I've been given the full rundown, and it "ain't" pretty. Your rebuke of any wrongdoing despite the accounts of so many victims is like claiming the whole world is crazy but you.

You have some talent at what you do. You aren't a rocket scientist Lance, nor is the bulk of mods being commissioned a request for a perpetual motion machine. My father built a WWI biplane completely from scratch from his own drafted plans for stunt flying, single handedly, while also serving as a full bird Colonel and Command Pilot with SAC in the USAF. This was done in less time than it has taken you to make a few key mods on several of the MIA horns for crying out loud.

You are still here because you are expected to fix the problems, not give a cock and bull story, blaming everyone but the sole person responsible for this large scale business and integrity debacle.

If all hope is exhausted that these people are going to get due process and have their transactions with you satisfied, many would say that happened a LONG time ago and this is a mere formality, your public podium here will be silenced. That is the only reason it hasn't happened yet.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, unless you are getting copy/pasted on every piece of communication between Lance and his customers, and standing in Lance's workshop watching him work right now, I'm pretty sure you only have one side of the story, Mike. I've been watching this thread the last week or so, and it has gone beyond ridiculous. You want lance to get all the work done. You want him to respond all the time and defend himself. You can't have him taking time out of his work to post on SOTW.

Let's be honest...there's really nothing Lance can say on here beyond 'projects done and returned to owners' that will satisfy you. I can't blame him if he never says another word on this thread.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sax-ony View Post
    I do think this is a fair question. I use two repairers in the UK both of whom have the equipment and the abilities to do the kind of modifications that Lance Burton advertises. The fabrication of new keys and modification of existing ones is a normal part of a good repairer's job, and can be undertaken in a professional and timely manner.
    I can confirm that there is a great repairer in the UK who does amazing custom keywork modifications/conversions on conn tenors. It usually takes him between a week and 2 weeks to do the work which is booked in advance so you know when you're sax is being worked on. The customer is usually invoiced after the work is completed. Take note martinmods!! This how you should run you're business!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxjazz42 View Post
    Actually, unless you are getting copy/pasted on every piece of communication between Lance and his customers, and standing in Lance's workshop watching him work right now, I'm pretty sure you only have one side of the story, Mike. I've been watching this thread the last week or so, and it has gone beyond ridiculous. You want lance to get all the work done. You want him to respond all the time and defend himself. You can't have him taking time out of his work to post on SOTW.
    Let's be honest...there's really nothing Lance can say on here beyond 'projects done and returned to owners' that will satisfy you. I can't blame him if he never says another word on this thread.
    And I have indeed had correspondence copied and forwarded to me. Do you think that something this critical was engineered in a half cocked manner?

I would suggest that you have no idea what research and verification has gone into this long time coming exposure. But on behalf of all those who actually have losses in this affair, and thus a reason to be thankful for the help (and the burden it has honestly caused the staff), thank you for your third or forth party removed comments.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, I don't know all of the research that's gone into this. But, judging from the constant demands for Lance to tell everyone on this forum what is happening on his end, I assumed that you (nor anyone else for that matter) understood what was happening in his workshop. Yet you think you know everything that is happening and that for some reason, you have authority to persecute Lance for whatever has happened here.

I already know your response to that comment - that you have given Lance a chance to speak, and he hasn't 'spoken' adequately for you. What do you want him to say? What can he say at this point to get what seems like the whole SOTW off his back so he can just get his work done?

I've been trying to figure out what the point of this thread is now. From what i can tell, there were legitimate goals at the beginning. 1) open some communication lines between Lance and customers. 2) put pressure on Lance to get to work. 3) Prevent anyone else from sending horns to Lance, or at least making them aware of what may happen if they do. 4) find out if the horns still existed at all.

Seems like #1 has been handled - Lance has responded, he's talking to customers. Those customers who posted on this thread have acknowledged communication and hope for a resolution.
    #2 certainly has been met - take a look at the comments lance has posted. He's feeling the pressure, and the photos posted by customers show that he's getting some work done.
    #3 seems to have been met, from the number of (dare i say) 3rd party comments to the effect that xxx will not be sending Lance a horn anytime soon.
    #4 seems to have been met, judging again from pictures. Lance admitted to losing a case, and was trying to get that situation sorted out about 30 posts ago if I remember. If there are any serious allegations that the horns are gone, they haven't been mentioned in quite some time, so I assume that issue is a non-issue now. If it isn't, then those with concerns should speak up.

At this point, seems like all that is left is to keep beating up on Lance. I don't see that as a legitimate goal, which is the only reason why I spoke up in the first place. Obviously 3rd party comments aren't welcome here, unless they treat Lance in a negative light.

So what is the goal left now?
    BFA University of Michigan (2005), M.M. Michigan State University (2008). Go...Turquoise?
    www.michaelhiemstra.com - info on performances, education and mouthpiece refacing services.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until the horns and/or money have actually been returned to the individuals (neither of which is even close to happening), THAT is the goal, as it has been from the start. I should think that it is self explanatory and in no way in need of elaboration, certainly not at this point.

Talk is cheap, but without the merchandise back in their hot little hands, nothing has yet to be achieved.

I wonder if you would be so cavalier and forgiving if your were one of those taken in? Funny how one's otherwise vicarious attitude changes when your own money is on the line.

I'm also disgusted that those who are victims, and those who are attempting to render aide, are suddenly being targeted in place of the one causing the problem to begin with. A typical diversionary tactic, and endemic in today's society of "it's everyone's fault but mine" sort of attitude. I've been quite tolerant of varying viewpoints, however the blame is not going to be shifted from the guilty parties off onto the innocent in this little smoke screen or devil's advocate sideline.

Mercifully, with an exception of one or two, the support has been overwhelming. I think most can see the writing on the wall for what it is, and realize the sagacity in making this public to recoup and protect. This is an extraordinary series of incidences that have led up to this discussion. It would have to be for us to devote this kind of attention and workload to see it through.

Those who have been active members on this board for any length of time will attest to the rarity of such situations, and resultant staff intervention.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said this was the fault of any customer.

As far as this goal of getting horns back: excellent goal. my question remains...beyond what has been done already, what more can this thread do to get the horns back? Sounds like Lance is communicating and setting up return dates. The court of SOTW cannot compel the horns out of his hands. The owners have to deal with that on their own, legally if necessary.

Seemed like a few days ago, there was hope for a peaceful resolution. Then, there were 'reports pouring in...' and the flames were stoked again. Since then, its just more pointless negativity.

I wonder if you would have been so cavalier to keep up the attack if you were the one with a business reputation on the line, threats of people with military experience showing up at your door, and an overwhelming workload to handle along with demands for an immediate solution.

My point isn't that Lance didn't screw up, its just that what's happening here isn't helping anyone. The purposes that needed to be served were served days ago. If it were my choice, I'd shut down the thread for a few weeks and re-evaluate. Let everyone on both sides of these transactions have some time to breathe and get to work.
    Last edited by SAXISMYAXE; 03-23-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: The Admin team is not accepting suggestions on how to moniter this forum, thank you. last comment edited for content.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, certain armchair posters have made it necessary for me to accept only posts from the complaintants and the business owner in this case. I do not have the time in my busy schedule to monitor this 24/7 which has become necessary. I endeavored to keep it open as long as was possible for the sake of clarity and fairness. I think ample time was allotted for both parties to speak up, make amends, and present their side.

Should any of the parties involved have updates or pertinent information to contribute to the discussion, feel free to PM or Email me, and I will add it to the thread.

Since so much of this has gone public, I will share with the membership my decision to put Lance's account on hold until the customers start to see their horns. This is in light of reasonable business expectations being completely up in the air at this point, and our duty to protect the membership until everything is resolved.

Communication lines via email are still completely open, and any important positive updates from him will be posted here should they occur.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received an email from Lance which pretty much refutes any responsibility or acknowledgment that anything is amiss, including those accounts reported here. I don't see this as indicative of a person willing to own up and make things right.

Regardless of any verbal fancy footing, the bottom line is that there are customers who want their horns, have waited a seeming eternity for them WELL beyond the time expected, and want them back. At least two are willing to accept them in parts. This isn't about the thumb hooks, mouthpiece projects or any other sideline he has been diverting his attention to.

If it motivates him to get those horns finished and back into the hands of the customers as originally promised, he can creatively interpret the facts any way that he wants.

All that could be done has been exhausted by SOTW, and lacking any major unforeseen developments, we wish those awaiting restitution the best of luck. Those who have been in contact with me over this, or wish to come forward with their issues, may continue to do so for the record.

Barring a serendipitous development, this seems to have gone as far as we can usefully take it.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent to me via a Visitor's Message today:

Quote Originally Posted by saxakiwi
    - Today

Im one of the unfortunate ones to have a saxophone with Lance since sept 2009. I sent him my Buescher big B tenor for the complete mods for $500 which i thought was more than reasonable
    and now I regret sending it to him as i am unsure whether i will get it within the next 5 years the way he is going. I think Lance has bitten off more than he can chew and is swamped and if he has to manufacture each part
    for each individual sax then Im afraid when I think of all the horns he has of customers that it will be 5 years. He always promises to send photos tomorrow and they never come. I did receive one about a year ago. But what really annoys the hell
    out of me is that he emails me and tells me of some finish he is working on with one of his own horns when he should be working on ours. Anyway he seems a nice enough guy but I sure hope he gets stuck in and gets some flying
    out the door soon before someone really spits the dummy.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received from member Brasscane today:

Quote Originally Posted by brasscane
    Per request, below is an account of my interaction with Lance Burton aka Martinmods, which I have accepted to have posted, not because of any remaining ill feelings towards Lance Burton, but solely as a warning to others.

In relative brevity, my interaction with Lance Burton started when I paid up front for an overhaul more than two years ago. The agreement was a two months turnaround. It took more than nine months to get the horn back, a timeline that I assume some of his customers at this point would be more than satisfied with. During this time I received countless unsolicited emails from Lance Burton concerning progress on work on other horns with no relationship to mine. I also received numerous suggestions for various additional alterations to the keywork, all of which I turned down in order not to delay the overhaul further. Ironically, when I eventually received the horn back, Lance Burton had forgotten to install the left pinky cluster, which originally was a major claim to innovation when he launched Martinmods. In all fairness, Martinmods did reimburse me the cost of the modification.

From very early on after shipping out my bari, I received the impression that I was dealing with a person who was abnormal and without any remotely normal sense of ethics, business- or otherwise. It was a clear that a repeated polite nudging would be required to get my saxophone back in any shape, form or fashion. I corresponded with other SOTW members who shared this sentiment. One of them pointed out that by taking on work at a much higher rate than he would ever be able to process, along with getting paid upfront, Lance Burton was running a Ponzi scheme in saxophone repair. Without assigning intent, I found/find this statement to effectively be right on the money (pun intended).

Although, Lance Burton certainly is a clever individual in some respects, he manages to entangle himself in a web of inaccuracies that he cannot extricate himself from. For example, in one email exchange he informed me that he only had four pads to go in terms of completing the work on my sax. Many weeks later, I received two pictures of the body tube of the horn with a total of five keys that had not been removed. The pads on these five keys were the old ones the horn shipped out with.

Towards the end of the ordeal, I learned through WooF that Lance Burton was moving to the Seattle area, something he had "forgotten" to inform me and other customers about. When I alerted him to the post on WooF, rather than apologizing for the lack of information, he thanked me for directing him to WooF and started posting at a prolific pace there. This did not deter him from pointing out that he was being delayed by numerous extraneous circumstances in executing his work.

When I eventually received the bari back, the initial excitement of seeing the horn again evaporated almost instantly when it became apparent that the work on the horn was sub par in almost every way possible. The exception was a very nice bell-body brace, evidence that Lance Burton is capable of performing nice work if and when he wishes to do so. However, in virtually every other way, the work was a disappointment. The tone holes had been filed crudely, the pads were beyond description in a bad way that I find difficult to articulate, corks were missing all over the place, which Lance Burton ascribed to poor design of the horn; this in direct contrast to his earlier statements, where he had appreciated the fact that the old Pan Am was effectively a pre-WWII 12M without RTHs and cross-brace.

The tragicomical end to this story is that when the horn was shipped back, it arrived in a dirty ProTec case that only was useful for shipping. A few days ago and more than a year after I received the horn back, Lance Burton asked me to ship the ProTec case back to him. I hadn't thought about the case. I would not mind one bit to pay to get Lance Burton out of my life once and for all, but the case is long gone along with the horn , which I sold locally for less than the cost of the overhaul to assure that the new owner would not be fooled. I am sorry to say that I will not have a new case shipped to Lance Burton at my expense. I can only guess why it took him over a year to ask for a beat-up case to be sent back, but the case according to Lance Burton belongs to another customer, whom I am assuming is about to receive his horn back 14 months later.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Re: WARNING: Lance Burton At MartinMods Will Not Finish Or Return Our Saxophones

A few members have notified me that Lance has resumed contact and communication with several of the customers/members who were left in the dark for so long. This brings some hope that at least some if not all of these people will someday see their horns.

If/when the instruments are returned, I will report each instance here. Fingers crossed that those who came forward with their accounts will see some results from this thread.

There are still a number of members who have informed me of their plight in this matter, but are cautious about going public with it while their horns are still MIA. I understand their reluctance, and hope that they will benefit indirectly from all of this too.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone received any substantive updates regarding their MIA horns? I've yet to get any reports of progress or horns received beyond the few initial token ones just after this went public.

I'd like to be able to post some good news here.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received from member CONN-HUNTER:

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter
    Hi Mike! how are you doing dear friend?

here in Uganda is everything OK. I am now asking a German Tech who has been selling my remained Vintage horns (2 Bueschers and a Conn Alto) to "customize" my Buescher Aristocrat.

http://www.holzblasinstrumenten-stud...nderI_alto.JPG

Lance ask me to send my Aristo Tenor too!! imagine. I'd have been missing both. At that time I told him... Finish the CONN first and you get the Buescher.

Now, "TOKO" (TOrsten KOhler) ...

http://www.holzblasinstrumenten-studio.de

... is going to put new modern Mechanics on my Buescher Ser. 1 Tenor

http://www.holzblasinstrumenten-stud...cher_tenor.JPG

Different than the gentleman from Seattle, TOKO is going to use standard parts made by Yamaha or another maker. Toko does work also for Yamaha Germany setting up Horns.
    So I hope to get a tenor again to play here.My CE winds omega is doing great, nice sound. Saxes here are that rare, the people are pleased.

Mike, how about to make an update on the thread? just to keep it alive, from times to times.

The pics Lance sent to Eric were from end of 2009. Nothing done on the horn yet. I wish I were there in order to help recovering that expensive wonderful horn.

All the best to you my friend

Gilson
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

No returned horns, no updates with evidence of any progress, no money returned. This individual has increased his activity on eBay selling his aftermarket parts, but little else.

Let there be no doubt, CAVEAT EMPTOR.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast