Need musical instrument insurance in U.S. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Contributor 2016-17 elguapo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need musical instrument insurance in U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by musiciscool View Post
    I was compelled to get Clarion when State farm informed me their underwriter won't even cover my horns if i play them anywhere. I think with homeowners insurance, people are assuming their horns are covered. Once you have that instrument conversation with your agent, it's a rude awakening.....
    You can get a seperate rider with State Farm to cover your instruments. That is what I have and they are covered as a working professional.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A warning about State Farm. This is from my agent.

"I just wanted to let you know that I talked to my underwriter today and the professional use of musical instruments is only for symphony/orchestra musicians and music teachers in their home. I know you mentioned you searched on-line and found musicians covered under State Farms policy but these are the only situations that coverage can be added. If you know of anyone that is currently covered and expecting their instruments to be covered in this situation they will not and you may want to let them know. If you need anything else, let me know. Thanks."

I am not a professional so I am out of luck with State Farm. I may try Clarion.

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that an insurance company agent with State Farm, Allstate or any carrier will sell you a rider but will your loss be a "covered item" under the "policy language" when you report a loss. It can become an underwriting question. The agent may, or may not have an understanding of the policy language on the rider depending on how the instruments are used, i.e. pro, semi-pro or just for home use.

Clarion and similar companies are in business to insure musical instruments. This web page will show some of the differences between Clarion and homeowners insurance;

http://www.clarionins.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Clarion a long time ago and they were great. I think at the time I joined Chamber Musicc of America to get the discount. I had a claim that was smooth and easy. Recommended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2