Charles Lloyd Charles Lloyd Charles Lloyd Charles Lloyd! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Charles Lloyd Charles Lloyd Charles Lloyd Charles Lloyd!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bucheger View Post
    Hey, John! Yeah, man, I'm definitely going to stick with the Conn for a bit -- it's got a really great character to the sound. I played it at my regular Monday night jazz extravaganza, and the bass player was raving about how much he digs the Conn tenor sound, and said he can always tell when someone's playing one!

The ergos are actually very doable -- I'm mean, how could I say they ain't, since I've just heard Charles Lloyd do whatever the hell he wanted with impunity, and can watch Dexter et al on YouTube being as nimble as can be!

The only issues I have are with the balance of the horn, and with the G# trill key, which kind of flops around a bit while I'm playing... But: I'm dealing!
    Kelly, I completely hear ya in regards to that G# "gizmo" key. Mine still has it as well, but I've seen and played other 10M's that they've been removed from. Mine doesn't rattle around noticeably, but every once in a while my middle RH finger brushes against it when I'm playing and that does feel kinda odd.
    Balance of the horn is definitely different as well. Plus the angle of the neck as I bring it into my mouth is quite different than my Super. I have to pull up on my strap just a tad to make up for the angle difference, which at first feels odd, but 5 minutes later I don't notice it at all. They're definitely great horns and I'd love to hear you on the thing! Speaking of which, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits for not giving me a call when you were in Wausau over Christmas!!

Best.....
    J.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2009-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lloyd is scheduled to play at a festival down this way next summer — really looking forward to it. When I was a kid in the 50's I listened to a lot of Brubeck and Chico Hamilton. I really preferred that sound to the funky hard bop stuff my friend was always trying to get me to listen to. He called me up one day, "Hey, I've got bad news — Chico's deserted you." Evidently he'd recorded a new band with a new sound. The album was Drumfusion with Gabor Szabo on guitar and Charles Lloyd covering the woodwind slot. It was a revelation. My taste in jazz significantly changed and I made the decision to start playing tenor sax.
    Yamaha TS62; P. Mauriat 66R; Warburton LA; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im always diggin my Cannonball Adderly Sextet on Jazz 625 videos with Lloyd...its always a gas to se the expression on Cannonball's face when Charles is takin a ride!!!
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    Lloyd is scheduled to play at a festival down this way next summer — really looking forward to it. When I was a kid in the 50's I listened to a lot of Brubeck and Chico Hamilton. I really preferred that sound to the funky hard bop stuff my friend was always trying to get me to listen to. He called me up one day, "Hey, I've got bad news — Chico's deserted you." Evidently he'd recorded a new band with a new sound. The album was Drumfusion with Gabor Szabo on guitar and Charles Lloyd covering the woodwind slot. It was a revelation. My taste in jazz significantly changed and I made the decision to start playing tenor sax.
    Where will he be playing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I am not knowledgable of this artist. Where to start? Great recordings?

Forum Contributor 2009-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    Where will he be playing?
    At the Opera House in Stonington, Maine, August 6th. Charles' site says it will be the "Charles Lloyd & Jason Moran Duo"
    Yamaha TS62; P. Mauriat 66R; Warburton LA; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rleitch View Post
    Cool! I've never had the chance to see him! Does he still play a Conn tenor?
    From the program notes to the JALC concert:

Lloyd was ten when he first heard Lester*Young’s recording of “I’m Confessin’,” which*established the template that fuels his ongoing*predisposition to convey tender sentiments*through his instrumental voice. “That’s partly*why I still play these beautiful saxophones*from the 1920s and the 1930s,” he told the*Santa Barbara reporter. “They have the pre-war feeling; the metal is different. Of course a*younger player today might not appreciate*these older instruments because they don’t*have the flash, the speed of the best new*horns. It’s like there are these Ferraris out*there, but I’ve sacrificed that glitziness for the*burnished feel of an old Packard.”*

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EE NYC View Post
    From the program notes to the JALC concert:

Lloyd was ten when he first heard Lester*Young’s recording of “I’m Confessin’,” which*established the template that fuels his ongoing*predisposition to convey tender sentiments*through his instrumental voice. “That’s partly*why I still play these beautiful saxophones*from the 1920s and the 1930s,” he told the*Santa Barbara reporter. “They have the pre-war feeling; the metal is different. Of course a*younger player today might not appreciate*these older instruments because they don’t*have the flash, the speed of the best new*horns. It’s like there are these Ferraris out*there, but I’ve sacrificed that glitziness for the*burnished feel of an old Packard.”*
    Classic! There's got to be a great composition idea in there someplace!
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2012-2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone listed to his double CD "Lift every voice" (2001, I think)? It's sublime! What I love in Charles' music is what I call its "spiritual density". It's hard to explain, but the music goes well beyond the instrument and the technique, it speaks at a much deeper level.
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Alto: Yanagisawa AWO20, Lamberson Fmaj7 mpc, unfiled Select Jazz 2H reeds, Vandoren Optimum ligature

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    At the Opera House in Stonington, Maine, August 6th. Charles' site says it will be the "Charles Lloyd & Jason Moran Duo"
    Thanks, August sounds really good right about now. Getting Stonington'ed does not sound bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giardullo View Post
    I think it was the Paul Butterfield Band(with Sanborn and Gene Dinwiddie on saxes). Probably more likely '69.
    For folks who never heard Dinwiddie- what a killer tenor player, via Chicago and an early member of the AACM there.
    I saw this concert package in Boston in '68 or '69. I was a big fan back then. I saw the band in Hollywood, Fla around the same time. Maracas and interesting clothing from Charles, Keith, Jack, and Ron McClure.

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Watsonp143 View Post
    I saw this concert package in Boston in '68 or '69. I was a big fan back then. I saw the band in Hollywood, Fla around the same time. Maracas and interesting clothing from Charles, Keith, Jack, and Ron McClure.
    That group also used to do the instrument switch thing. I think Keith Jarrett would switch to sax and Jack Dejohnette to piano.
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw Keith play soprano when he had the group with Dewey. He had a super snakey tone that was actually really great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2