Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sharp D3

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Pete Thomas 
#1 ·
So, I'm an intermediate player I guess. Maybe advanced intermediate, I don't know, but around there somewhere. I play on an 875ex, with Java red box reeds(3 strength), and a nice simple C* for classical playing. So, my problem is that D3 is out of tune. I'm really not sure if it's been out of tune for that long, as the majority of time when I play D3 it's just in fast passages, and I can't really notice it as much. Lately, I've been playing a song which has a nice D3 hold, and it's sounded quite poor. Immediately, my teacher asked me what was up with my D3. We brought out two tuners, and I'm about 25 cents out of tune(sharp).

Distressing at the least, I checked to make sure that G1 and G2 were in tune, and they were. So the next thing was maybe I'm just out of tune up top, so we tuned B4,C4,D4, and A3. All played within 10 cents of the pitch(not optimal, but still good enough) F3 and E3 were in tune. Then we traded saxophones, and we tuned once more. D3 was totally in tune, same mouthpiece, reed, everything, just a different sax(Yamaha 62 to those who are curious). My teacher played on mine, and he had no problems getting it in tune. So, at this point, what do you guys think the problem is? Is it me? If so, how would I go about fixing it? Could it be that the key is opening too far, and that my teacher could just account for it?

Thoughts?

It's been around 6 months since the sax has been to the doctor, if it helps.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well that sure did the trick, I used a piece of paper and folded it a few times, and the note really sounds a ton better. So, what's the permanent solution for this? If I take it to a tech will they know how much cork to add? I'm really clueless here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.