Interesting Muramatsu Flute Overhaul Video

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Interesting Muramatsu Flute Overhaul Video

Trawling Youtube and found this

Interesting on many levels.

It's always enlightening to see how someone else goes about the process.

I'm still trying to figure out how he gets the blue plastic film onto the body of the flute.

Great idea. Beats repeatedly cleaning your fingerprints off the same spots.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Technician griff136's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Interesting Muramatsu Flute Overhaul Video

the blue plastic film sticks to metal or lacquer without the use of adhesive I suppose a bit like cling film. I have a couple of rolls of this which I ordered direct from from Yamaha. Ideal for all sorts including protecting the lacquer on crooks when final sanding the crook cork and also for putting on dents when using a magnetic dentball sytem or dent burnishers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Griff,

Do you happen to know what this stuff is commonly called?

Is it polyethylene film?

I'm guessing that it's pretty easy to source locally if I can can work out what it is and what it's called.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does nice work, however I have a couple of reservations, the first he draw files the tone holes level, Mmm dont like that, second he sands the area of the dent, then rolls it and sands it again, Im assuming if he was to do this on any plated instrument then it would require replating afterwards, another Mmm.

That being said, the rest looks like good stuff, I definetly like the replacement inserts for the key cups, that Im interested in
    Do your own string Repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew the cling wrap is simply held in place by an electrostatic attraction, you could use teflon tape / coloured cling wrap from a craft store etc or anything similiar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve.

I also wondered about the dent repair and the tone hole filing.

Perhaps there's bits edited out of the video. For example; he does the cork work with a razor blade and is pretty sloppy. Then in the next shot, the corks look well finished.

I'd also be interested to know what solutions he's dipping the body in.

The lotus inserts appear to take up a fair bit of room in the key cups. I can't figure out from the clip what advantages they provide over the standard arrangement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The inserts are a good idea, the first thing they create is a perfect flat back edge for the flute pad to sit on, the worst thing with flutes is cupped backs for the pads to sit into, these tend to arch the back of the flute pad and curll the upper surface, I personally use a bedding washer to try and level the base out first before doing any pad work, so the lotus inserts would be very good in this scenario,

Like I said his work looks meticulous, however I really dont like the draw filing of the flute rolled edge, there not very thick to start with, and very easy to permanently and I do mean permanently ruin the flute

Distinguished SOTW Technician griff136's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simso - I agree and prefer not to do the sanding on a dent that could be just as easily removed using a mandrel and a nylon mallet + some burnishing. those inserts look ideal for getting the pad retaining screw dead centre of the cup I wonder if the weight is noticeable.

Drew Ive just been in the workshop and the roll I have is Netto Denko - blue surface protection tape. I should imagine it's very similar to the stuff used to protect UPVC window frames and the like.

I ordered mine from Yamaha and it cost me around £9 plus shipping.