Sax on the Web Forum banner

Period of Receivership

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  LaPorte 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Lyon & Healy COUTURIER MODEL

This would appear to be a Couturier in a Buescher case, not a Buescher.
That's correct, and it is one of the first baring the name 'American Professional' without 'Lyon&Healy' .. , made late in 1923, that means before Lyon&Healy became the new owner of the Couturier factory. 1924 'American Professional' mutated to L&H's second line which was marginally different from their first line.

Systematically seen this saxophone is a stencil made by Couturier (being in receivership) for Lyon & Healy, but looking at Couturier saxophones in their entirety and historical context the term 'stencil' doesn't explain anything and misses the point.

#3 ·

Hello,

I wanted to help a seller (or buyers?) and sent him/her a message that it's possibly a Martin (not a Buescher) but then I looked more closely and decided it was most likely a Couturier and sent him/her another message with 'possibly a Couturier'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140481830532&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Am I correct? The seller must be very confused now going from Buescher to Martin and now hearing about another brand :)

#4 ·

...but then I looked more closely and decided it was most likely a Couturier and sent him/her another message with 'possibly a Couturier'.
... Am I correct?
You are right. This alto is made by Couturier just at the beginning of the receivership-period, October 1923. It's not a 'Couturier Model'. This term was created by Lyon & Healy, when the Couturier Band Instrument Company was incorporated.

The original assumption of the seller of being a Buescher is not as erroneous as it may seem. The bell engraving is identical to the saxophones Lyon & Healy obtained from Buescher before the exchange.

#5 · (Edited)
Timeline

1. Made by Couturier November 1922 - September 1923

2. Receivership October 1923 - March 1924

2.1 Lyon&Healy 'American Professional' Oct-Nov. 1923

2.2 'American Professional' Nov. 1923

2.3 'Inspiration' February - March 1924

3. Lyon&Healy April 1924 - March 1928

3.1 'Couturier Model' April 1924 - 1925
3.2 'Artist Model' series I 1925 - 1926
3.3 'Artist Model' series IIa/IIb 1926 - March 1928

4. Holton Era April 1928-March1930

4.1 Lyon&Healy Artist Model series IIb, series III made by Holton
4.2 Collegiate I
4.3 Beaufort American

5. Elkhart Band Instrument Company April 1930 - 1931/32

5.1 The Couturier-Elkhart Model

#7 ·
A very high number over 200K indicates the final development of the L and H version of the Couturier model, even though the name is not on it?
This is basically correct. But some distinctions are needed. Let me come back to this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.