Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sakshama: A sleeper is born and found!

21K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  reedsburn62 
#1 ·
You're probably asking yourself what's that all about. I recently bought Sakshama's copies made from casts of a Florida Link and Guardala MBII. Simply, they are killer. If you have been chasing that mythical Florida link and have only been finding those mediocre mpcs which seem to be so prevalent, here's a chance to get a clone/wax copy that is outstanding at less than 1/2-1/3 the going price. A good friend of mine recently paid $1000 for a really fine Florida link and I would put my Sakshama dupe against it in a heartbeat. I feel the same way about his Guardala copies.

I thought I'd share this with forum members because Sakshama's work is worthy of a try. Some of you know me and if not probably recognize my username from a number of mpc FS threads over the last 1 1/2 years or so. Like many, I started trying, buying, selling, swapping, borrowing as many different mpcs as I could get my hands on. At this point it's well over 100, most being alto & tenor. Sakshama is giving a great alternative to buying a vintage mpc that is a killer player and won't break the bank. For those that aesthetically want a perfect "looking" mpc his work lacks a certain finesse of finish, i.e. fitting of bite plates and certain exterior imperfections which in the end have no bearing on playability. The man knows how to apply a facing and for me that's the important part. I've owned a number of "perfect looking pricey" mpcs that I found to be just average players, if they don't play they don't stay.

Ramblings from a forum knucklehead....
Mike

See less See more
#41 ·
You know everything starts with "how do you spell that word", you write it incorrectly and then the spell checker gives you the right word- in theory. I was much in doubt by its choice but then you don't doubt the spell checker- the last line of defense, the one who saved you so many times, the always right, the unfailing one, the son of God.

#42 ·
Hi Sakshama,

Curious about the Custom Z model mpc, could you give me an idea of if an opening around .113 might be workable for this design? Curious how the workload feels, I have tried some pieces smaller than this opening that felt more resistant; trying to hone in on what size to order...

#43 ·
In May of 2018, I got to play a late Florida/early Babbitt Otto Link STM refaced by Sakshama. Please understand that I'd never been a Link player, and the few modern ones I'd tried (including one refaced by another major guy) werent for me at all. All I can say is that this Sakshama was tremendous. It played big and open like the higher baffle pieces I'm used to (70s Berg Larsen steel, Jody Jazz DV and DV CHI, Mac Sax FJIV) though not as bright. Bravo! I've yet to deal with the man personally, but I do have a note into him as I'm very interested in his pieces.

#45 ·
You're probably asking yourself what's that all about. I recently bought Sakshama's copies made from casts of a Florida Link and Guardala MBII. Simply, they are killer. If you have been chasing that mythical Florida link and have only been finding those mediocre mpcs which seem to be so prevalent, here's a chance to get a clone/wax copy that is outstanding at less than 1/2-1/3 the going price. A good friend of mine recently paid $1000 for a really fine Florida link and I would put my Sakshama dupe against it in a heartbeat. I feel the same way about his Guardala copies.

I thought I'd share this with forum members because Sakshama's work is worthy of a try. Some of you know me and if not probably recognize my username from a number of mpc FS threads over the last 1 1/2 years or so. Like many, I started trying, buying, selling, swapping, borrowing as many different mpcs as I could get my hands on. At this point it's well over 100, most being alto & tenor. Sakshama is giving a great alternative to buying a vintage mpc that is a killer player and won't break the bank. For those that aesthetically want a perfect "looking" mpc his work lacks a certain finesse of finish, i.e. fitting of bite plates and certain exterior imperfections which in the end have no bearing on playability. The man knows how to apply a facing and for me that's the important part. I've owned a number of "perfect looking pricey" mpcs that I found to be just average players, if they don't play they don't stay.

Ramblings from a forum knucklehead....
Mike
Have you tried his Alto mouthpiece? If so.....which one do you prefer and why? And how do you go about requesting the size opening from him?

Also - Have you tried his soprano mouthpiece? etc? thanks

#46 ·
And how do you go about requesting the size opening from him?
As you see in this thread, you can contact Sakshama directly. That's often the best way of making any request.

If you know what you need and can express it clearly, Sakshama is one of those techs that will tweak his mouthpiece to meet your desires. Highly recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.