Post your classical playing here! - Page 9

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ellis--you might want to go to soundclick.com and set up an account.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    Ellis--you might want to go to soundclick.com and set up an account.
    Whaaa... with help of Tully {thanks man} I created an account. { I'm a nitwit at these things} This is our humble contribute to this thread..

http://www.soundclick.com/elbimacisaxophonequartet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a fun clip! Keep writing....

(You might want to take off the "I don't think that will happen!"-- even if you think that...)

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a recording of me playing Bozza's Improvisation et caprice from earlier this semester. Tell me what you think.

Forum Contributor 2008 Michigansax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just made a soundclick page, too. Let me know what you think of Creston III. (Nevermind the brain freeze in the middle)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=635614

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011 awholley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great playing!

You might want to do some additional research on the piece, though. IIRC, the mm marks are not Creston's, and are faster than he intended -his wife was a dancer and he was visualzing dancers as he wrote the piece. I believe Dr. Willie Morris III at the University of Dayton is an expert on this (and when I met him, he was in posession of the original manuscript).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone

Have just created a myspace site with a recording of me playing Denisov mvt. I and Schulhoff's Hot-Sonate mvt IV (along with other original stuff). Let me know what you think...

http://www.myspace.com/iainsax

Cheers

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tempo markings ARE Crestons, but as awholley says they are incorrect. Creston simply put down tempo markings that apparently upon later reflection were too fast. This is my understanding from reading an article by Steve Mauk about a discussion he had with Creston.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011 awholley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently I didn't "RC" in my "IIRC"! Anyways, I got it partly right....

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, that is great playing! Only one other observation I would make, though. The mordents should be played on the beat rather than before the beat. This makes a huge musical difference.

Forum Contributor 2008 Michigansax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    The mordents should be played on the beat rather than before the beat. This makes a huge musical difference.
    ????

I'm pretty sure I played them on the beat. That is something I had to work on in the first movement, though. Anyways, I just added some more. Enjoy and give some feedback. Keep in mind that these are all live.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=635614

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to be certain at that speed, but I think one reason why I had the impression they were before the beat is because it seemed to me that the "written" notes were accented whereas if the mordents were on the beat it should be the mordent that was accented. Maybe it is just a matter of accenting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dramuse
    Hi everyone

Have just created a myspace site with a recording of me playing Denisov mvt. I and Schulhoff's Hot-Sonate mvt IV (along with other original stuff). Let me know what you think...

http://www.myspace.com/iainsax

Cheers
    hi dramuse,
    denisov sounds good, like the tone you used, it suits the piece.
    maybe a bit slow though? the quaver at 104 is quite important

watch the rhythms, in some places you were a bit funny, also just a couple of notes were amiss, it's the kind of piece where acuracy is parmount.

your accompanist is very good, did it take you long to put together?

watch your vibrato on the altissimo, sometimes instead of adding body, it makes it sound less stable.

very impressed
    keep it up,

Hydemusic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothTNH
    Here is a recording of me playing Bozza's Improvisation et caprice from earlier this semester. Tell me what you think.

He's posted his recordings twice on this forum and he just got ignored! I think his technique is great!

Ya'll should give this guy a chance and check it out.
    Jamey Sterrett, M. Mus.
    Private Saxophone Instructor
    www.YouTube.com/JameySterrett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops double post
    "We work every day, methodically, patiently, meticulously, in order for art to become our second nature"
    -Jean-Marie Londeix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ste1390
    He's posted his recordings twice on this forum and he just got ignored! I think his technique is great!
    I agree, after listining to his Caprice I ordered a copy of it for myself. Great work!
    "We work every day, methodically, patiently, meticulously, in order for art to become our second nature"
    -Jean-Marie Londeix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Hydemusic

Thanks for the comments, I will endevour to take them on board next time I perform it.

The pianist is a professional accompanist and he is ace, but we only had 1 hour to put a whole recital together (of 45 mins.)!

Cheers again for the pointers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tracy285
    I agree, after listining to his Caprice I ordered a copy of it for myself. Great work!
    i am to overy impressed! I have played it myself but I am not getting near to this!

excellent!

jglsd1

Fantaisie sur un Theme Original (******. not my best. but enjoy anyway.)

http://audio.xanga.com/jglsd1/cb91c310725/audio.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michigansax
    Anyways, I just added some more. Enjoy and give some feedback. Keep in mind that these are all live.
    Well Joey, I've listened to your Dahl a few times now. I could over-analyze it, pointing out every unique thing that I heard, but seeing as it's a somewhat old recording and a live one at that I'm pretty sure my thoroughness would just be annoying.

I found it interesting and a bit perplexing that you barely played the low D# quarter note at the end of the first full phrase of the second movement (conveniently, the beginning of the second track). At the dynamic you were playing, I'm not sure whether the sudden release was intentional or not. It kind of points forward to the feel two bars before rehearsal I (the huge largamente altissimo passage), and it almost seems like something Dahl would do, juxtaposing that appassionato/espressivo feel over the dolcissimo. While it's certainly jarring, I couldn't really call it "wrong" or a mistake. Weird...

As for the altissimo at the top of the last page of the second movement... I feel your pain! I'm actually performing this piece tomorrow , and that exact passage is the one I'm most nervous about. I only hope that if something happens, I can recover as quickly as you did and save the rest of the movement. Kudos on the quick recovery.

It's a shame that trumpet player fracked in the second to last bar of the second movement. Musically, that's one of my favorite moments in our entire repertoire. Finally, all of that ugliness and unrest makes sense...

For the last movement... Man, you got my hopes up. Every time I listen to a new performance of the Dahl, I hope to hear someone other than Rascher pull off that very last ossia section with the fifths. Since you played every other ossia passage, I thought to myself "maybe this time, Rick..." Every time I'm disappointed. Well, no matter. I can't play it at tempo either, and I like the sound of the lower line better anyway.

I kind of like how you took a breath during the third beat of the high E/C sextuplets just before the cadenza. Again, I'm not sure if it was an error or an intentional change, but it seemed like it fit and it's a good alternative should I not get enough air during that breath mark that Harvey Pittel notated.

Anyway, it was a fine performance and I've enjoyed listening. Thank you!

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast