Post your classical playing here! - Page 4
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Merlin,
    I'm planning on posting some of my music I'll be recording for my graduate auditions. However, life is busy right now... so it may be a while. Just finished same major house renovations including a great new teaching/practice studio where I've relocated all my home-recording equipment. Nice and spacious, moderately-live room.

Fantaisie is a nice sounding piece... very cheerful.

Jason

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011 awholley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    Horrors!

We seem to be losing momentum...

I have more material I could post, but I'd rather hear everyone else.
    http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lo...azingGrace.mp3
    http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lo...ax/singlee.mp3

Here's a couple of recent quartet rehearsal cuts with me on soprano. The
    Amazing Grace is a great theme-and-variations arrangement by Eric Wilson, and the Singlee is the Allegro de Concert taken from the first movement of one of his quartets. Unfortuntately the Singlee is under tempo, as this was a shake-out-the-cobwebs run-through.

Alan

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey Alan - I really liked Amazing Grace. Where can I get the chart for that?

I tried to listen to the Singlee, but it won't d/l...

Did you get the CDs I sent you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't get the CDs yet.

I have edited the link in my previous post. Singlee should work now.

The Amazing Grace is arranged by Eric Wilson and published by Sintafest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of equipment do you guys use to record your performances. Is it possible to make decent recordings without spending a ton of money? If recording at home, what is the best acoustical environment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an Archos Multimedia Jukebox with an inexpensive Church Audio preamp (a phono preamp will work too) and a Sony stereo mic (~$90)designed for use with Mini-disc recorders. I abandoned Mini-disc because Sony did not allow direct digital transfer of recordings. I believe that is now possible with Hi-MD, and I'd recommend taking a look at that equipment if you need something very portable.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jp3
    What kind of equipment do you guys use to record your performances. Is it possible to make decent recordings without spending a ton of money? If recording at home, what is the best acoustical environment?
    I'm using a Crown SASS-P stereo boundary mic. It's pricey at about $800+, but is pretty much idiot-proof. That goes into a mic pre, then into my laptop via a Roland UA-5 interface. The recording s/w is Sound Forge, which is a 2-track editing program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glazunov Saxophone Quartet - Scherzo

Here's the Scherzo from Saxophone Quartet Op. 109 by Glazunov.
    I played it with my saxophone quartet (Fouranosia) in 2000 during an Internetional Master made by Londeix here in Italy.
    Quality isn't too good but it's the only recording aviable.

I play the soprano here.

Enjoy

http://michaelkamen.altervista.org/m...%20Scherzo.mp3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice!

Thanks for posting!

Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here here!

Very nice - - I actually like the recording sound as well. It makes me feel like I'm actually sitting in the hall. Did Londeix say anything that you think would be good to share?

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great cut!

Thanks for posting that.

HMmmmm....wonder if I've got any quartet tracks handy....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing special.
    He did pay a lot of attention to the intonation and i remember he did get very mad at us for this.
    He was very very fussy on dynamics too. Where a 'p' was written he wanted us to play it 'ppp'.

Whatever i have all the complete recording of quartet. If anyone is interested at it all i can upload it and post the links here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/Dressel-Live-NR.mp3

I played the first movement of the Dressel Partita in church this morning.
    Sorry about having to use noise reduction....

[edit: I put it back in original form after listening with headphones. NR is no longer applied]

C'mon guys and gals, POST SOME STUFF!

Alan

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've just posted one of my classical tenor clips:

http://www.merlinwilliams.com/romance.mp3

It's the Romance from the Gadfly by Shostakovich.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2006 rcwjd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All

Awhile back Merlin kindly invited some of us who regularly post jazz clips to try our hand at something classical. Well, I'm pretty sure that what I have posted on my site is not classical - but probably could be characterized as concert quartet. I attempted to play all of the parts - bari, 2d alto, 1st alto and tenor - on some music that Paul Coats posted on the home page of Sax On The Web. It is music written by a composer for use in a video game that apparently is popular. Anyway, I soon learned that just about every skill I needed to play legit had faded pretty badly - playing a written part as written - dynamics as written - counting so as to come in at the correct spot - matching dynamics to give the melody line plenty of play - intonation - etc. Plus, my main instrument is bari - so the soprano parts were particulary dicey. In any event - TARANT SEWERS can be found on the Jazz page of my website - www.richardwade.net. Sorry, I can't give you a direct link as somehow the site hosts will not allow it. Any comments are welcome. Finally, anyone who wants to post some jazz - join us over at the "post a clip" thread in the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will check it out later when I have time -- I'm off to play for the evening -- but I just wanted to say that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Playing all of the parts to a quartet is not as easy as it sounds. Did you play to a click track? And regarding pitch, I know ideally we should all hear when something is "out" even when playing solo, but in reality we all adjust to the players around us to make the intervals in tune. If you're a little off on one of the first tracks, that will make all of the others have to be adjusted.

Like I said, just don't be too hard on yourself. It'd be different if you laid down rhythm tracks first-- right? You'd have a pitch reference and time reference -- not to mention making an exciting musical event - hard to do without 'feeling' all of the parts at once.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

====================

BTW - Alan & Merlin: liked your posts - Alan - for what was that piece originally written? Do you know?.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christopher,

The Dressel was written for Sigurd Rascher. It's really quite a nice piece, but with all 5 movements runs about 15 mins. Although the movements have baroque-sounding names (Prelude-Allemande, Canzona, etc.) the piece is pretty much neo-Romantic. There is a very nice Gigue at the end. Although Styliani and Larry Gwozdz have each recorded it recently, I have no idea why it doesn't get played a lot more.

We just kind of threw together the first movement for the church gig, but the more I played it, the more music I found in it. It really made me want to program the whole piece sometime.

Alan

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2006 rcwjd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prodigal

Thanks for the comments. You made some excellent points that I did indeed discover. I laid down the bari part first reasoning that it functioned as a bass line. I did that using a metronome as a reference. Then I built up each part - tenor, alto, soprano ( I did a Bari, Tenor, Alto, Sop quartet - I think I mistakenly posted a 2 altos earlier). Yes, I did miss hearing the other parts - the rhythm section as it were - contemporaneously. As you said, it does make it more difficult to inject the kind of communication and excitement one can attain when playing live and adjusting to the other players in real time. I did enjoy stepping into a different kind of discipline as most of my stuff is improv with only the barest lead sheets as a guide, and of course, my tone, etc., is a far cry from the optimum classical saxophone tone.

Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member qwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default okay....here is my quartet

hey all... i have enjoyed listening to others. i have been a lurker here for about a year and a half. never posted before..

the recording is of the Mid-Hudson Saxophone Quartet, me on soprano. we've been together about a year and a half, and have played three full length recitals, and other small performances.

the recording is of Pentecote by Bach from the Corroyez book.

http://teacherweb.com/NY/JohnJay/Kieley/mp31.mp3

happy holidays!

steve