Post your classical playing here! - Page 2

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Background to what, exactly? I couldn't get anything but a link-free blue page to load.)

Nice improv and a fine demo - it'd be a good one to write out. What'd the violinist think of it?

Just for curiosity's sake, what's your setup there? (Note: Let's not turn this into yet another setup thread.) Hearing that G3, I'm gonna guess it's Buescher-based.

Merlin, thanks for posting the Singelée excerpt. 1929 Chu Berry, Standard Steelay and Blue Box 3, in case anyone cares...Je ne regrette rien.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Paulwl, thanks for the vote of confidence. The violinist seemed to be impressed. He wants to collaborate on some things he's putting together. As far as my setup goes, you might be a little suprised. It's a Rousseau 4R, Yamaha Custom, and a Bay ligature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha, I knew you were playing a Not-Selmer...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ez_sax
    Anyone know how I can post files for download from AOL? Otherwise, I could email an .mp3 directly to you. I have Mussorgsky's "The Old Castle" currently. Others in the works.
    I'd like to hear it - pop in the mail to me - merlinwilliams AT sympatico DOT ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I finally got around to figuring out this webposting thing this afternoon.

Before I give the links I need to throw out a disclaimer. This is a recording of me performing the Herbert Couf Introduction, Dance and Furioso in a recital that took place in January 2002, a mere TWO WEEKS after my Ph.D. defense (engineering, not music). I had promised my oboe-playing sister who was in college at the time that I would gladly split her junior recital with her which she scheduled for the 19th of January almost a year in advance. I expected to finish writing my dissertation at least a couple months before that date but those of you who have written theses or dissertations you know how futile it is to plan that sort of thing (as I learned). My defense was on the 4th of that month.

Anyway, it's not a performance I'm most fond of as I flub a couple runs in the Furioso section and for some reason my high F's weren't coming out as nicely as they usually do. Oh well, c'est la vie--that's the nature of live performance.

Oh, I should also add that I had not had a single private lesson in classical playing since high school. I was 26 at the time of this recital.

http://members.cox.net/saxyacoustici...ioso%20(1).mp3

http://members.cox.net/saxyacoustici...ioso%20(2).mp3

Don't be too harsh on me, guys. I'll post more later if you want to hear more. Great thread btw Merlin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - this is great! I'm enjoying the playing, and getting to hear pieces that I heard OF but never heard. I'm gonna buy the Piazzolla right now!

I already posted this somewhere else, so please pardon if this seems redundant, but it's the only "classical" posting I have up on the web right now. --A live clip, so please forgive the recording quality. There should be more soon....

http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...16317&q=hi

This one's a clip from an unaccompanied improvisation I did as a soundtrack for a 9-11 DVD- not reeeeeeally classical, but..... The whole thing is actually 15 minutes long:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...22209&q=hi
    Last edited by prodigal; 02-13-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy cow! prodigal, I'm truly impressed by your playing! I don't think I've heard vibrato on the saxophone quite like yours--you use vibrato like a competent string player does. And your technique is super clean. Very impressive, VERY impressive. Wow...wow.

Thanks for sharing. Now you're making me regret posting any of my recordings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked 'em both...Prod, who's the composer again? Changborotolussi? Where do the spaces fit in there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, that's really very kind.... and a needed shot in the arm.

Dorothy Chang (officially Chang-Bortolussi) is a wonderful composer and a sweetheart. She's contributed a few other works to our rep, including a sax quartet that was performed (premiered?) at the NASA convention this past summer.

She wrote this piece for me, and I premiered it almost 10 years ago, but it got kinda "buried" - for lack of a better term. I really like it, and I'm hoping to do a studio recording of it sometime this year.

Here's some info on her:

The music of Dorothy Chang reflects her interest in various types of music including electronic, traditional Chinese and music in perfomance art. Chang's music has been performed by ensembles including the Albany Symphony, Indianapolis Symphony, Queens Symphony, Seattle Symphony, Chicago Civic and Aspen Festival Orchestras, Collage New Music, Kylix New Music Ensemble, TONK and North/South Consonance. Honors and prizes she has received include a Charles Ives Scholarship from the American Academy of Arts and Letters and awards from ASCAP, the National Society of Arts and Letters, International Alliance of Women in Music, and Mu Phi Epsilon. She has received commissions from Chamber Music America, the Barlow Endowment, the Mary Cary Flagler Charitable Trust, Music From China, and the Chicago Saxophone Quartet, among others. Dorothy is a Music Alive Composer-in-Residence of the Albany Symphony Orchestra for the 2003-04 season. Dorothy taught at Indiana University and Indiana State University before joining the music faculty at UBC as an Assistant Professor in July 2003.

www.dorothychang.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else find Merlin's soprano playing to be sublime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the playing and the piece...

I checked out that piece on-line last night, and I can't firgure out for what instrument(s) it was originally written. Anybody know?
    There's also a post of a Piazzolla called "Oblivion" somewhere in these threads, and it's just gorgeous! Soprano saxophone and strings -- mmmmmmmm!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

njj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merlin, I find your recordings especially curious. There is an unusually large amount of reverb. At first listen I thought you had recorded in a studio using an effects processor to get such a "wet" sound (then I heard the applause at the end). What was the hall like, the one you played in? Do you know what kind of mics you used, whether they were directional or omni? Sorry to be so technical. I'm just curious about these sorts of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prodigal, I just listened to your recording again (the first one you posted). I'm still amazed at your vibrato in the altissimo register. I swear you sound like a freakin' violin up there!

Just curious, what is your story on the saxophone? Who were some of your teachers? Or does everyone on this message board already know except me?

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaxyAcoustician
    Merlin, I find your recordings especially curious. There is an unusually large amount of reverb. At first listen I thought you had recorded in a studio using an effects processor to get such a "wet" sound (then I heard the applause at the end). What was the hall like, the one you played in? Do you know what kind of mics you used, whether they were directional or omni? Sorry to be so technical. I'm just curious about these sorts of things.
    The clips I posted were done in concert in a large church.

Mic setup is a Crown SASS-P stereo boundary mic into a Soundcraft digital board, into my laptop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    The clips I posted were done in concert in a large church.
    That explains it. For some reason, the thought of holding a recital in a church didn't cross my mind. Thanks Merlin. Solid playing btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JfW
    Does anyone else find Merlin's soprano playing to be sublime?
    You think that's sublime...you ought to hear him live.

(There's no "sublime" smiley, so I'll use the "beer" smiley in Merlin's honor.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the fact that Merlin plays--of all the non-Big 4 manufacturers out there--a Jupiter. He proves that equipment isn't nearly as important as the player behind the equipment. Bravo, Merlin.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast