Post your classical playing here! - Page 33
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Post your classical playing here!

Hi everyone. Just wondering what y'all think of my tone. This is a recording (rough take of beginning and end of Glazunov) that I feel represents how "I" sound, and more or less want to. No EQ or anything, just recorded in a mostly dry room with my iphone. I'm getting my chops back up to complete my performance degree after many years out of the classical saxophone world. Can I get feedback on how you'd describe my tone, the sloppy notes notwithstanding? What "school" I belong to, and which players I most sound like? Maybe I just sound like a generic x school player? In any event I'm proud to have this (unique or not) sound.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0FDkvQ5Nn6L

Forum Contributor 2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me you sound French style classically trained. (Even pitch and speed vibrato). However your setup doesn't sound French....it's edgier than I would expect. I'm guessing a Selmer horn and a selmer mouthpiece? for a real stretch I'm going to say your sax professor went to a mid west school, maybe studied with Mule?

I kind of like this guessing game...

After all that, bravo indeed, I recently started playing again after almost 10 years and my tone is still pretty good, but I have zero technical skill or tongue/finger coordination (watch out ladies...), I pulled both the Glaz and the Creston out after a week of long tones and scales and can't play either one worth a crap..... heh was refreshing to hear someone that could just jump back to it!

Good luck, where are you studying for your graduate degree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much, Migraine! You really nailed a lot of things in your analysis. My teacher studied with Sinta and was one of his top students, and he's had quite a career--I guess he's more of the "American" school, but has a style and approach to vibrato all his own. I'm classically trained, but not per se in the French style, I'm just a big fan of Mule, Deffayet, and the "old" French school. I do wish my sound was a bit less edgy, more round, more smooth, but not any darker-I still want it to be vibrant, however, this will come with doing more long tones, and maybe trying out new equipment. My setup is a Selmer Series II, LT, Vandoren blue box 3 1/2s. You nailed it! Maybe I'll get that rounder sound I'm looking for while not sacrificing vibrance, with an AL3, 4, or Selmer Concept. I don't want to say exactly where I'm studying, since I wish to remain anonymous, but somewhere good, with someone good! Thanks for your kind words. :-)

Forum Contributor 2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to suggest you try a darker mouthpiece to get more warmth, but -maybe- sacrifice reed strength by a 1/2 to keep the edge you like in your sound. I've never owned one but I hear that medium chamber Caravan's work well with French and French styles (Yani, Yamaha, etc) horns well for classical. More so than the larger chamber as I've read here about intonation problems?

Distinguished SOTW Member CarlHeanerd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People don't post enough Karel Husa, on this thread! Here's a recent performance of Élégie et Rondeau.

https://youtu.be/8IQiL9mU4-0
    Soprano: Selmer Paris Series III w/ "Tone Booster" Curved Neck Selmer Paris S90 170 + Vandoren Traditional 3.5 Selmer Paris Silver Ligature
    Alto: Selmer Paris Series II w/ "Tone Booster" Neck
    Selmer Paris S80 C* + D'Addario Reserve 3.0+ Ishimori GP Ligature
    Tenor: Yamaha Custom EX w/ G3 Neck
    Selmer Paris S90 190 + D'Addario Reserve 3.0+
    Vandoren M/O Ligature

www.heaneymusic.com