Sax on the Web Forum banner

William J. Gronert

19K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  kt007mac_336 
#1 · (Edited)
A vast number of my researches reached a blind alley. Often I got answers on questions I never asked. Nevertheless I found some of these answers interesting enough to add to my records. Here is one:

W.J. Gronert

The original inquiry was to find out where E.A. Couturier got the knowlege to build saxophones. At the beginning twenties he was urgently asked by retailers to add the saxophone to his line of instruments. He didn't seriously consider that until 1922.

No matter of question in his development of saxophones he realized his very own concept of an extremly wide and consequently conical bored instrument. Nevertheless he must have built upon knowledge from other people.

I knew he maintained valuable contacts to Holton and York and had excellent connections to Conn early in the 20th century. And he knew William J. Gronert, Conn's factory manager, business manager and general manager around 1900 at least until the great fire 1910, which destroyed the Conn factory completely.

Here is a note written 1905 in The Music Trade Review:

"TRY TO SURPRISE C. G. CONN.

When Bandmaster Couturier was in Elkhart,
Ind., recently, he and W. J. Gronert attempted to
surprise C. G. Conn at his home, northeast of the
city, going there in a band wagon and two carry-alls.
The intended victim, however, had divised
a plot, and had fortified his house with a supply
of refreshments. After several selections had
been played by torchlight on the lawn, the musicians
were invited into the house and were
served by the host's two Japanese man-servants.
They also spent some time admiring the handsome
paintings that ornament the house. Couturier
was in Elkhart having some work done
at the Conn factory."

to be continued

See less See more
#36 ·
This is a very interesting find which shurely will enhance the exciting history of the Gronert saxophone. I hoped someone would let us know something about his Gronert saxophone. Good photos. Let me come back to it.

Thank you for sharing.

#37 ·
I wonder, was it made before Gronert started working for Conn, or after?

Anyway, I hope this helps you with your quest to uncover the history of these saxophones. Because it may be significant to the mystery of the history of several fine instrument companies (mainly Gronert), I will add that this one will be for sale on ebay in the next day or two (user name big-steve-40). It will start low and have no reserve. This one deserves to belong to an enthusiast that will appreciate it.

#38 ·
I wonder, was it made before Gronert started working for Conn, or after?
Definately after, most probably between 1915 and 1918.

#41 ·
#42 ·
A vast number of my researches reached a blind alley. Often I got answers on questions I never asked. Nevertheless I found some of these answers interesting enough to add to my records. Here is one:

W.J. Gronert

The original inquiry was to find out where E.A. Couturier got the knowlege to build saxophones. At the beginning twenties he was urgently asked by retailers to add the saxophone to his line of instruments. He didn't seriously consider that until 1922.

No matter of question in his development of saxophones he realized his very own concept of an extremly wide and consequently conical bored instrument. Nevertheless he must have built upon knowledge from other people.

I knew he maintained valuable contacts to Holton and York and had excellent connections to Conn early in the 20th century. And he knew William J. Gronert, Conn's factory manager, business manager and general manager around 1900 at least until the great fire 1910, which destroyed the Conn factory completely.

Here is a note written 1905 in The Music Trade Review:

"TRY TO SURPRISE C. G. CONN.

When Bandmaster Couturier was in Elkhart,
Ind., recently, he and W. J. Gronert attempted to
surprise C. G. Conn at his home, northeast of the
city, going there in a band wagon and two carry-alls.
The intended victim, however, had divised
a plot, and had fortified his house with a supply
of refreshments. After several selections had
been played by torchlight on the lawn, the musicians
were invited into the house and were
served by the host's two Japanese man-servants.
They also spent some time admiring the handsome
paintings that ornament the house. Couturier
was in Elkhart having some work done
at the Conn factory."

to be continued

Any more additions to this older thread?

I recently purchased a curved soprano w/case & mouthpiece, kinda playable or at least get SOME nice sounds out of it w/o pending inevitable work. Any other knowledge of even straight soprano W J Gronert's - I assume others inquired about were altos as none were specified specifically - Thanks