Sax on the Web Forum banner

Perfect Curved Bb Soprano

24K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  szrank 
#1 ·
Finally ...

See less See more
#42 ·
That is the crux. Lyon & Healy didn't grasp the outstanding quality and potential of Couturiers saxophones. Instead of evolving them for the professionals they aimed at beginners and marketed them in a downright stupid way. L&H's changes on the keywork sometimes was an act of violence to Couturiers saxophones - Bruce Bailey knows what I mean.

I for one prefer Couturier's original keywork.

#43 ·
Yes, there was a relationship.

It is my omission not to have addressed this chapter detailed enough.

April 1928 the doors in LaPorte closed. Holton continued manufacturing Couturier saxophones in Elkhorn

1. as his new student line 'Collegiate' using his own serial numbers (3x,xxx) and at the same time
2. by order of Lyon & Healy continuing L&H' serial numbers from ca. 202,xxx to 203,xxx.

I will fill the gap as soon as possible and I promise the so far unknown last chapter of the Couturier saxophone will be an interesting story.

#45 ·
(The pictures above are from a casual gig in 1986.)

First of all, thank you for the information on this thread! Very enlightening!

I bought this saxophone in 1983 for $700 from a gentleman in the San Fernando Valley via an ad in the Los Angeles Times. He didn't know what he was selling and I certainly didn't know what I was buying. My main motivation was that it looked like a manzello, the horn of my hero, Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

I knew it wasn't a saxello, but I called it that for simplicity's sake. It wasn't until the late nineties that I found out (erroneously) that it was a Lyon and Healy semi-curved soprano sax stenciled by Martin. Prior to this, I thought the brand was American Artist as Lyon and Healy appears nowhere on the instrument. (The bell is engraved with "American Artist." The only place it appears is on a tiny tag on the case. Although I had the sax for over 15 years at this point, I had never examined that tag!

Fast forward to 2011. I decide to search the internet to see if I could find anything new about my sax. As I said before, it was rather shocking to see myself as an illustration in a thread! But as a result, I now know that my instrument is a Lyon and Healy Perfect Curved Bb Soprano Saxophone made by Couturier! Thank you all for the very fine work!

Two new questions:
-->My saxophone is in the 17600 series. What year would that correspond to?
-->How much were they selling these for when they were new?

#51 ·
Two new questions:
-->My saxophone is in the 17600 series. What year would that correspond to?
-->How much were they selling these for when they were new?
Your soprano was made in 1926.
In the cataloge the curved model - finish: silverplated - was priced at $115 (straight soprano: $105), case not included. The "American Artist" brand may have differed a bit.

#59 ·
Thank you, my friends!

First there was this alto saxophone which came to me a couple of years ago, a Lyon & Healy ‚Couturier Model‘ - not just a considerable saxophone to me ... I love this voice.

Soon after I found a contribution of Steve Mumford (hornworks) who researched E.A.Couturier in the archives in LaPorte. He pointed me in the right direction. Many thanks to him!

Felix

#62 ·
Steve, I read what he says about the intonation. However, I've also listened to a few of those tracks where King Curtis plays the perfect curved with an orchestra and the intonation sounds about as good as other vintage sopranos to me. Paul mentions specifically the lowest notes where the bell curves as being out of tune. Maybe Curtis didn't play down there?

#63 · (Edited)
Maybe Curtis didn't play down there?
Actually, he did! The first track of That Loving Feeling album is The Shadow of Your Smile. A lot of it is in the lower register and he goes all the way down to the low Bb. (The track is in concert F. I've got it at: http://www.metropolisbooksla.com/Smile.mp3; it might take a few seconds to load.)

Let me know your opinion of the lower register. Personally, I think it sounds great.

(As far as Paul Cohen's evaluation goes, I have to confess that I know less than zero about classical saxophone performance criteria.)

#64 ·
(As far as Paul Cohen's evaluation goes, I have to confess that I know less than zero about classical saxophone performance criteria.)
I would say that classical music in general is more centered around technical perfection. It is not just a quest to approach thru growth, but a tangible goal that is part of the esthetic of every performance. Tonal and intonational uniformity - within your own concept of playing of course - are a great part of that, I would think.

If not just the player, but the instrument itself, has something to prove to more traditional classical music circles, that ups the curve considerably.

#73 ·
hi
just read post about lyon healey semi curved soprano saxophone.
and just get one couple days ago, it is dirty, i need to take it a part and clean it or my known technician. pads looks good havent tried it yet because dont have soprano mouthpiece, i am "hobby" tenor player.
after i read post i assume that my sax is a stencil "american artist" model.
can somebody value range for this type of sax.
i dont plan to sell it yet, just curious if will get my money back when i decide to sell it.
sorry for not very detailed pictures, but it were Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Reed instrument Woodwind instrument Metal
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Wood Automotive exhaust
Drinkware Thigh Bicycle part Human leg Artifact
Wood Bicycle part Gas Auto part Rim
taken on the go.
thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.