Sax on the Web Forum banner

Lyon& Healy Catelog from Ebay

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
I was hoping the individual that "won" the recent Lyon and Healy catelog on ebay would post the file as a PDF to share. Information regarding this horns is difficult to come by.
Thanks

#4 ·
In 2012, I won an eBay auction for "Out of the Shadows." This catalog of 30 pages and one price list inserted documents the full range of Lyon & Healy saxophones that the firm offered. The catalog never stated that it actually manufactured instruments, but tried very hard to give that impression. Based upon information about Couturier manufacturing saxophones, and L&H's purchase of Couturier, I have to conclude that this is an accurate description of the saxophones that Lyon & Healy manufactured in those 4 years of operation. I expect to include images from the catalog in my up-coming history of Lyon & Healy. Hopefully, this book will be published in 2012. I am interested in discussing the contents of this small catalog with experts. I showed the catalog to a dealer in antique wind instruments who said that the instruments look like Buescher instruments. That does not mean that Buescher manufactured them. L&H might have simply copied that firm's designs. Has anyone found any printed documentation showing a relationship between L&H and any other saxophone manufacturers?

Thanks
Peter

#5 ·
You have come to the right place. Member LaPorte has been doing a lot of research about these saxophones and their relation to Couturier. You should read these two threads;

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?122728-Couturier-Saxophones
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?113311-The-Forgotten-American-Manufacturer

By the way, I have owned a few L&H banjos from the late 1920s and early 1930s. L&H were one of the large distributers of musical instruments. When I was a kid, they still had a music store in downtown Los Angeles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.