#1 ·
2. Receivership October 1923 - March 1924

2.1 Lyon&Healy 'American Professional' Oct-Nov. 1923
2.2 'Inspiration' February - March 1924

3. Lyon&Healy April 1924 - March 1928

3.1 'Couturier Model' April 1924 - 1925
3.2 'Artist Model' series I 1925 - 1926
3.3 'Artist Model' series IIa/IIb 1926 - March 1928

The Couturier Model was introduced April 1924, two months after the Couturier Band Instrument Company was taken over by Lyon & Healy.

In the following posts I will show some examples of that model.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Couturier Model was reported first April 26 1924.

The 'Couturier Model' is a landmark in the saxophone sales of Lyon & Healy as it is their first own make - The Couturier Band Instrument Company was just taken over by Lyon & Healy. The name 'Couturier Band Instrument Company' was still kept probably until 1928 when the factory in LaPorte was closed.

#3 · (Edited)
From the viewpoint of the company the introduction of the 'Couturier Model' was a landmark. From the viewpoint of the musician something different was the real novelty: The introduction of the Couturier Tenor saxophone in Bb.

An often discussed irrelevancy is the Mercedes-like low C Keyguard, but let us have a closer look at this accidental feature:

The part showing to the right side is ca. 30% longer than the other two. This never reminded me of a Mercedes logo.

#6 ·
An often discussed irrelevancy is the Mercedes-like low C Keyguard…. But let us have a closer look at this accidental feature…. The part showing to the right side is ca. 30% longer than the other two.
Interesting. Is that a quick way to tell the difference between Coururier L&H saxes and other horns with the Mercedes key guard?

#5 ·
..Do you have that tenor in your collection?
Not this one on the pictures above. My 'Couturier Model' tenor is brass (some spots from an old lacquer job left) not silverplated, overhauled last spring. It has substituted my Toneking as a playing horn. I will take some pictures and post them here.

#8 ·
Here is the Bb soprano 'Couturier Model' which is (except engraving) not different from the soprano Couturier introduced himself 1923.

Is this soprano is a real Couturier, designed by Couturier himself?

Yes, as it meets the criteria "How to identify a Couturier saxophone", #68 'The Forgotten American Manufacturer'.

The next example shows that we have to examine always carefully in order not to make a hasty judgement.

#9 ·
To build on the last question: Is a Lyon & Healy saxophone bearing the name "Couturier Model" designed by E.A. Couturier and built by Lyon & Healy in LaPorte in the factory of the E.A Couturier Band Instrument Company ?

Answer: Yes and no.

Yes if it involves a straight soprano in Bb or C; an alto, a tenor or a C-melody.

No in all other cases.

#10 ·
Another Lyon & Healy 'Couturier Model', engraving see photo above:

Made in LaPorte?

Obviously not.

#11 ·
Summer break

Pine Lake, LaPorte County 1904

#15 ·
There is no book until now. I`ve written some chapters (in German) which could be used for an article or two. I think a complete history on E.A. Couturier, the musician, the inventor and manufacturer of fine wind instruments requires a lot more than I know about this subject. If an expert on Couturier´s brass looks for an co-author for the saxophone part I would consider it.

#16 ·
#22 ·
I have 2 Lyon and Healy saxophones marked "Couturier Model" and "made in Chicago". They came from my Grandfather and Great Uncle who played them in high school and college in the mid to late 1920's. The first is an Alto with the serial number A over 1426 over L. My Grandfather played it all the way through his years the University of Tennessee in the marching band. I played it in high school band about 25 years ago and it is definitely well loved. Some of the silver plating is wearing on the keys and the gold in the bell is very faint now. I am about to have it set up for my son to play in his middle school band. It does already have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today. I think it will probably require a complete overhaul which was quoted at about $650. However, I don't think I can find a better quality horn (sound wise) for less than that amount. It does have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today.

The second one is a C melody with serial number C over 13497 over L. It hasn't been played in probably 90 years. I opened the case today and it seems to have all of its original parts including the stopper plug on the end. The case has the plaque from the store where it was purchased in Knoxville TN. Other than some tarnish, this one seems to be in pretty good shape. It has white pads that are all there. There seems to be some interest that I have found in someone documenting serial numbers for the Couturier instruments. Does anyone know about this project? Would anyone be interested in recording these instruments or do they only document them if they are for sale? I am not interested in selling either one because they are family pieces. However, I am wondering if there is any value in the C Melody because of all the original pieces.

Also, once they are all polished, what is the best way to keep them shiny? A silver cloth?

When I was in middle school there wasn't anything like this group so nobody could really tell me about the type of horn I had. I just knew it was pretty and silver with beautiful engravings. Any more information you can point me towards about these models would be greatly appreciated!
Circle Font Space Metal Wood
Purple Rectangle Chair Musical instrument accessory Gas
Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Musical instrument Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Bumper Wind instrument
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Woodwind instrument

#23 ·
I have 2 Lyon and Healy saxophones marked "Couturier Model" and "made in Chicago". They came from my Grandfather and Great Uncle who played them in high school and college in the mid to late 1920's. The first is an Alto with the serial number A over 1426 over L. My Grandfather played it all the way through his years the University of Tennessee in the marching band. I played it in high school band about 25 years ago and it is definitely well loved. Some of the silver plating is wearing on the keys and the gold in the bell is very faint now. I am about to have it set up for my son to play in his middle school band. It does already have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today. I think it will probably require a complete overhaul which was quoted at about $650. However, I don't think I can find a better quality horn (sound wise) for less than that amount. It does have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today.

The second one is a C melody with serial number C over 13497 over L. It hasn't been played in probably 90 years. I opened the case today and it seems to have all of its original parts including the stopper plug on the end. The case has the plaque from the store where it was purchased in Knoxville TN. Other than some tarnish, this one seems to be in pretty good shape. It has white pads that are all there. There seems to be some interest that I have found in someone documenting serial numbers for the Couturier instruments. Does anyone know about this project? Would anyone be interested in recording these instruments or do they only document them if they are for sale? I am not interested in selling either one because they are family pieces. However, I am wondering if there is any value in the C Melody because of all the original pieces.

When I was in middle school there wasn't anything like this group so nobody could really tell me about the type of horn I had. I just knew it was pretty and silver with beautiful engravings. Any more information you can point me towards about these models would be greatly appreciated!

#24 ·
I have 2 Lyon and Healy saxophones marked "Couturier Model" and "made in Chicago". I am about to have it set up for my son to play in his middle school band. It does already have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today. I think it will probably require a complete overhaul which was quoted at about $650. However, I don't think I can find a better quality horn (sound wise) for less than that amount. It does have a cork blocking closed one of the alternate holes that isn't used today.
Emily, welcome to SOTW. You have two beautiful saxophones. I would be reluctant to send a middle school student to band with either.
As you know the C is unfit for band anyway. The alto is a nice sax worthy of repair. $650 sounds reasonable. A 13 year old will have no appreciation for sound quality just yet. Decent Altos can be had for under $200. Put $100 into one and let your son grow and bang up that one. Fellow students being the concerns. Start by looking for a Conn 14m pre 1962. It will have wire guards & USA on bell.
I recently bought one for under $100,case,Mouthpiece lig & cover included. To make it playable will run about $150 in repair.

Repair the L&H down the road for home practice/use.
The C May have the original white pads.
They both look clean. A very soft clean cotton towel is all you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.