Sax on the Web Forum banner

King Super 20 Artists

37K views 70 replies 29 participants last post by  Oric Muso 
#1 ·
Is there a comprehensive list of King Super 20 artists anywhere?
I've seen the HN White website but there's a lot of artists missing from their pages.

Hank Mobley, Tina Brooks, Wardell Grey, Wilton Felder
, Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley and British legend, Dick Heckstall Smith are the handful I've come across recently. Who can you add to the list?

#2 ·
Many Super 20 players have switched to other horns, but here is a list of cats (past and present) that have played King super 20.

James Moody (switched to Keilwerth)
Johnny Griffin (switched to Selmer)
Yusef Lateef (switched to Selmer)
Jimmy Hamilton (switched to Selmer)
Charlie Ventura
Georgie Auld
Jerry Dodgion (switched to Selmer)
Arnie Lawrence (switched to Yamaha)

Lou Marini
Alan Gauvin
Mike Karn
Kurt Bacher
Mark Gross
Ted Klum
Chuck Wilson
Adam Kolker

#18 ·
UPDATE! Alan Gauvin sold his Spr20 alto to Frank Perowsky. Frank is known as a tenor player but now he has Gauvin's alto. This horn was bought for Gauvin by Buddy Rich in the late 1970s. I know there are many stories about Buddy being an assh*le, but he bought Gauvin a horn and gave him a down payment for a house.

#7 ·
Right, Kirk switched back to the s20 but only after his stroke. He had the Kind modified to be played with one hand.

Trane is pictured with the s20 when he was playing with Dizzy and Earl Bostic. By the time he joins Miles in '55 he's playing the SBA.

Also, we should add Wardell Gray to our list. In the 40s, he was playing a Chu (like the Chase with Dexter). In the early 50s he plays a s20 with Count Basie's septet. There he has the classic S20/Berg Larsen combo. Wardell seems to be playing a Selmer BA during his brief tenure with Benny Goodman's small band. He sometimes played a Link with the S20 as well. Gray was murdered in 1955.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info Barry. Arnie Lawrence switched from Selmer to King then to Yamaha. I once met Arnie in Manny's NY ( spelling?) in 1986. He was a very nice man. I read he emigrated to Israel where he passed away.

Milandro I have both those DVD's and several others. My favourite one is quite an early one " In Europe" with Tete Montiliu, Tommy Potter and Percy Heath..There are some funny interactions between the two blind musicians. Tete is a tremendous pianist and seemingly oblivious when Kirk and the band stop...he keeps going for many bars until Kirk removes his hands. Kirk is playing a Selmer tenor here. The later concert is the debut of the Inflated Tear with a different band...Kirk on S20.. To see him perform the Inflated Tear live is quite an experience and gives an insight into the unbelievable powers of the man...really something.

#19 ·
I met Ralph Bowen in the '70's and he was playing a Super20 alto. He sounded way better than any kid should and had been taking lessons with Pat Labarbara for a couple of years. I think that would qualify to add Ralph to your list.

#35 ·
Which one, Wilton Felders?
If that is the one I think it's a cleaveland horn with the double socket neck arrangement and aftermarket overslung neck.

Also Rinus's bell keys are on the wrong side for a TH&C maybe an earlier Buescher?

And another player from the UK Dick Heckstall Smith (RIP) played a King Super 20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.