Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rascher tradition teacher in Berlin?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  A.Smith 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to be visiting Berlin for about a month in late August, and I was wondering if there are any Rascher tradition teachers in the area. I'm pretty sure the Rascher quartet is based in southern Germany, but who might be in Berlin? I am not that familiar with the Germany conservatory system, and the few teachers I've managed to come across seem to be more French trained. Thanks!

#3 ·
Rascherian playing doesn't tend to "fall too far from the tree." It's concentrated in areas where the teachers and/or quartets are - usually places where there is no other established classical saxophone program, or else they don't make much headway.

#4 ·
Contact Linda Bangs at 4lin.bangs -at- unitybox.de. She was a member of the Rascher Quartet, is the founder/director of the South German Saxophone Chamber Orchestra, and the last I knew, she teaches in Darmstadt and Mainz. I would be pretty sure she can answer your question. She's American so language isn't a problem.

#5 ·
I'm not really sure what paulwl is talking about, but here's some information for you:

Olaf Muehlenhardt lives in Berlin, Germany. He performs with the Rascher Orchestra and provides absolutely wonderful arrangements. His e-mail is olaf.muehlenhardt (at) t-online (dot) de

Also, you are correct in that RSQ is based in south Germany(Freiburg-area to be exact). Gary is also correct in that Linda Bangs being in Darmstadt/Mainz. Be very specific in your subject heading since she is quick to delete e-mails that look suspicious.

Olaf has also started his own stuff in Berlin. He is a terrific musician and person.

#6 ·
Olaf Muehlenhardt lives in Berlin, Germany. He performs with the Rascher Orchestra and provides absolutely wonderful arrangements. His e-mail is olaf.muehlenhardt (at) t-online (dot) de. He is a terrific musician and person.
Well, there you go. If it's got Dannel's seal of approval, that's all you need. :bluewink:

Now that I think about it, though, don't throw away the info on Linda, because Olaf just could be our of town. I think the Berlin school vacation starts on 7 July and runs through 21 Aug and many Germans who don't have school kids, time their summer vacations to preceed or follow the school vacation in order to avoid the crush of families at many resort areas. And that also means that when their vacation time comes, they close down shop and leave town and don't come back until they have to. :mrgreen:

#8 ·
And if I'm not mistaking, not many purist Raschèrians in Germany. Ironically, I would think of the "Raschèr School" as more American than German, since he didn't really establish a "school" in Germany, that I'm aware of.

Actually, the German saxophone hasn't historically had a "classical" tradition in the sense of that found in France and Belgium. I believe Günther Priesner studied in France with Londeix and brought even that tradition back to Germany, and that's in recent history. I welcome any information to the contrary since I only have to go on what Priesner said about 15 years ago.

I would also be interested to know if Linda Bangs and Olaf Mühlenhardt are teaching a pure Rasherian orthodoxy or if they, like many (most?) sax teachers are teaching just plain ole saxophone, period.

#13 ·
I would also be interested to know if Linda Bangs and Olaf Mühlenhardt are teaching a pure Rasherian orthodoxy or if they, like many (most?) sax teachers are teaching just plain ole saxophone, period.
Olaf was in Sydney a few years ago and did a masterclass. He seemed an incredibly nice individual and his arrangements are excellent. Personally I would say that he teaches saxophone. Certainly a large element of it is influenced by the Rascher school but it is not the be all and end all of his pedagogy.

#10 ·
I am not so much looking for a "purist Rascherian" as a teacher who is sympathetic to that tonal concept, equipment, etc.
I had a long chat with a theater colleague of my daughter who subbed in the Rascher quartet and her alto of choice was . . . a Yamaha 23. How's that for blowing the stereotypes? :shock:

#11 ·
I spent some time in Germany two years ago, and found it very hard to find Rascher-esque players. Everywhere I went, the players were VERY French influenced. One girl told me it was because Selmer horns were actually pretty cheap over there, as compared to Yamahas. Now that this really has anything to do with the OP, but I found it interesting while I was visiting.

#12 ·
One girl told me it was because Selmer horns were actually pretty cheap over there, as compared to Yamahas.
She told you wrong, bezozzi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.