Sax on the Web Forum banner

Help pricing a Yamaha YTS-61

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Elecmuso 
#1 ·
While not being a sax player I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out. The other day I came across a saxaphone put away in storage at home, it doesn't belong to anyone in my family and as far as I can tell it probably belongs to someone that lived here a long time ago. As much as I would like to learn to play it i'm in drastic need of a new piano and i've decided to try and sell it and use that money to put towards some new keys. However after making a stop to one of my local music stores yesterday I had it appraised and after being told it needs a slight tune up it would be worth around 500 to 600 dollars. While i'm not at all complaining about that figure i've gotten in touch with a couple of people on saxaphone sites beforehand and had figures told to me me spanning from 600-1000 dollars in addition to this ebay auction for a Yamaha YTS-61 i've just found for 2500.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/YAMAHA-YTS-61-TE...ltDomain_0&hash=item41506df9a7#ht_4438wt_1139

The one in my possession looks exactly the same as the one in that auction post and is in equal condition or maybe even slightly better.

If anyone could provide some insight for me that would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
First, you need to make sure that your sax is not a YTS-21 instead of a 61. Here's some photos. Notice the difference in the key guards:

YTS-21

YTS-61

Also, notice the extra engraving on the YTS-61 and the gold lacquered keys. The YTS-21 usually has nickel plated keys.

A YTS-21 is probably valued as the shop told you. The YTS-61 will probably bring around $1000 on eBay give or take a few hundred depending on the condition.

#3 ·
I have one at the school I teach at. This sax is one of the best saxes I have! My top tenor player gets this one and, if I decide to do a little "shedding" at school before I head home, this is the horn I reach for. I would agree that one in reasonable condition should fetch about $1000.00 or at least in that ballpark. They are a great design (IMO) and I would have no problem using it on a gig.

#4 ·
Upon inspection I'm certain it is definitely a YTS-61 and not a 21. Nickel plated keys are definitely absent. Considering it's great condition i'm definitely satisfied with the conclusion we've come to. However; with that YTS-61 I provided as an example in mind i'm curious why the person selling it has it priced so high? While it doesn't look in bad condition the one I have is definitely in better shape as I can see. Is he/she just trying their luck to see if someone will actually pay that figure?

Thanks so much for your time both of you, you've helped a lot.

#5 ·
Judging from reports from Mal-2 the 21 series have much softer metal than the 23 and up. Mal has had trouble with his 21, my 23 is as tough as you can imagine. I don't know if this extends to the 61 series or not.

#6 ·
I've just picked up YTS61 but like the one in this thread, it doesn't have the purple Yamaha logo. That had me ever so slightly concerned (since I have yet to have it in my hands). But the photos I have show that it is exactly like the one in the photo above including the engraving. Enviroguy, you don't happen to know the year of manufacture of the one you posted?

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.