Sax on the Web Forum banner

Melodica?

46K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  CaneMutiny 
#1 ·
After watching Don Cherry on Melodica here: (around the 1:00 mark) and here: (around the 4;20 mark, after a Peter Apfelbaum intro on piano), I am thinking I might want to try one. Anyone here play one? Words of wisdom about them? Selling one cheap?

#44 ·
That seems a bit steep for a melodion. I suppose it depends on the model but I have the 34 key and it comes in way below that. Regarding intonation, go Suzuki. Melodions use harmonica reeds as far as I'm aware and I much prefer Suzuki mouth organs to Hohner. They are far more likely to be in tune out of the box.

#51 ·
I meant to post this when the discussion moved towards the Suzuki-Hammond 44 but I couldn't remember how to find it and then, a few moments ago, I was deleting material from my phone and Boom! There she was. Funny how that happens, is it not?

Anyway, if I could play like this guy, I would get one but I don't have time to practise what I need to practise so I know I won't practise this. Shame, but.

#53 ·
In that OooMoo vid he's playing with both hands by bringing his left hand over the back of the keybd. I've got to try that, although on the melodica the more notes you play, the more breath it takes. But if I can play rock bari all night, I should be able to play this way. He also has a strap on it so he doesn't need his left hand to hold it up. I've got spare guitar straps that I might try that with. I'm not sure how he attached it to the case though.

Here's a nice version of Claire de Lune played with 2 hands by letting one end sit in his lap or the chair and the other end resting against his shoulder.

#59 ·
Today marks exactly two years since I picked up my ordered Hammond-Suzuki 44 in hands.
What can I tell you about ? It was simply a disappointment: the keyboard is too facile, itchy sound, and most importantly - the weak microphone that enhances the uneven lower register more than the middle and upper. Hohner Student -32 sounds better!
In the end I bought Suzuki Pro 37 - and very happy: it sounds very rich, and keeps tuning very well. Yamaha is actually a parallel instrument to Suzuki .
I personally recommend the two models.

#61 ·
Does anyone havewed a recommendatio for a decent 44 key melodica? I can't afford the Suzuki-Hammond 44 right now, so that's not an option.

It doesn't look like there is much out there with 44 keys, so I'm guessing that I'll have to go for a 37 key instead.
Best bet is a Hohner HM-36. Nice tone but you will most likely need to have it tuned. Make that for sure.
Ebay has them quite often From $30-$200. Hohner has very very few parts to repair them. I am not a keyboard player but blowing chords is serious fun. We have five melodicas and one clavietta. I decided not to buy the Suzuki pro37 v2 or the Hammond 44.
I want a melodica/melodion/clavietta/vibrandonion that compares to my horns, flutes and pics. That handles like a
trumpet or it's cousins. And has some B3 in it's soul. If Santa won't bring it or it doesn't exist then I might have to make one.
Like mamma said, " live long enough and you might get to do everything you want".
Hohner told me that the first 36 had reed plates like an accordion and the clavietta. Don't see those often for sale but the last one went for almost $400 on Ebay. Wasn't worth the bucks just for a look.

Adios for now.

#63 ·
Howdy,
The clavietta has individual reed plates. Only one reed per plate though. I will post some pics/info of the results of my research for the past several months. I mean a high quality instrument. Whether I make reed plates with multi reeds or individual plates is still a WIP = work in progress. Size matters. Trying for 41 keys. C3 - E6. But 36-37 will work.
Gotta go play with a boat. Marine electronics work funds my fun.

#82 ·
Howdy,
The clavietta has individual reed plates. Only one reed per plate though. I will post some pics/info of the results of my research for the past several months. I mean a high quality instrument. Whether I make reed plates with multi reeds or individual plates is still a WIP = work in progress. Size matters. Trying for 41 keys. C3 - E6. But 36-37 will work.
Gotta go play with a boat. Marine electronics work funds my fun.
Do you know where I can buy the washers that cover the reed holes of a clavietta , or what can be used as an alternative? [ADMIN: email address removed per the forum rules]

#65 ·
Based on personal experience I can say the following: Hammond Suzuki-44 was just a disappointment, and the presence of the internal microphone does not correct the situation. Sound Suzuki Pro-37 is good, but - according to my taste-Hohner sounds
most jazzy, probably because better reproduces the jazz articulation.

#66 ·
Why work when music is on my mind. :)
1. The HM 36 does have a nice tone.
2. Tuning them requires repeated on/off of the back. :(
3. I have four of them with a total cost of less than $200....lucky me.
4. I cut down the trumpet style mouthpiece so it gives me 1/2" more when inserted.
5. Getting closer to the reeds helps but I like it better with the extra 1/2".

http://www.akkordeon-maurer.de/docu...viola_Melodica_Vibrandoneon.htm#Vibrandoneons

#76 ·
Jazzman,
Is that a Hohner Professional 36 you're playing on the Victor Young tune?
A friend found one and is sending it to me. :D

Rumor has it that some wood boxed melodicas are just manufactured by one company and just put into another companies wood case. Not in need of innovation?

My approach, rethunk, is a keyboard for a sax/flute player that is comfortable playing chords/intervals but is a 3.25" keyboard and about 1/4-3/8" wider at the keys measuring from side to side at the keys.
It's a bit wider as the bottom, housing the reedplates, reeds and air chamber is a roundish part that adds a bit of width.
Pictures at some point of the outside shape.
Possible mutual-reeds for that B3 tone.... hopefully. :)

Whether I can get close to the tone I hear or not, I'll know more about that as I study/play with my reed experiments.
Like old man Bohem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.