Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone in the Dallas, TX area?

8K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  jgreiner 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been hanging around SOTW for a couple of years now, and I've learned so much from all the veterans on the board. I've pretty much kept to the background, but I'd chime in every once in a while.

I'm originally from St. Louis, but moved to Dallas 7 years ago. I play alto in a big band (Nobles of Note) who are associated with the Shriners. We play various gigs each month, and while the band is paid as a whole, the musicians aren't paid. The money we make goes to the Children's Burn Center and the Shriner's Children's Hospital.

Since all of my music contacts have been the other members of the band, I was just curious about other musicians (specifically from SOTW) in the area, and any situations to jam.

#5 ·
I am in Austin

Nice to hear from other Texans. I currently live in Austin. I am a part of a recording and performance group called "Unified Tribe" and we are currently working on our 3rd album. This doesn't leave me with time to do jams, although I am happy to hear about the rest of the Texans.

Much Love to you all, :D
Liberty
www.unifiedtribe.net

#7 ·
I'm about 2 and a half hours away from Dallas, and I'm definitely looking for some hookups/opportunities as well. Jamming would be great, or just chatting about the musical life...we're too few and too far between compared to when I lived in NYC...

#9 ·
I live in Plano, and play in the DFW area anywhere from 3-5 times a month. I will post back here if I have any public performances if anyone is interested.

saxophobe

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Pubic performance

I do have a public performance coming up in Dallas; I will be playing at Sipango on June 18 with a band called The Project. I have been playing with them for about 12 years, and it is primarily a pop band. If you would like to see what type of place it is, please see the following link:

http://www.sipango.com/

If you decide to show up, please come by the band stand during a break!

saxophobe

#13 ·
DCJB

Hello All !

I'm in Corsicana, about an hour south of DFW.

Admark, I saw your earlier post about the DCJB lead tenor spot. I currently play 2nd tenor in the Corsicana Swing Orchestra. I also play in a gospel gig band called "New Life - The Band" and also on the worship team in my church. Good times.

I really thought about pursueing the DCJB opening, but God is moving me toward the Tyler area, and I think my time will be too limited to even come up to audition. I listened to your sound clips, and it sounds great. Back in the late 80's I started a swing/big band of sorts in our church in Kilgore. We had a great mix of ages and talent levels - but mostly it was just an absolute blast to get together with other Christian players and make some music.

Well, enough rambling for now. Be blessed and keep blowing.

Phillip
aka NewLifeSax :D

#15 ·
I miss Albuquerque

I'm in Denton, going to UNT. I'll be a saxophone teaching fellow this fall. I'm mainly a jazz guy and play in the one o'clock lab band (going to Poland in August); if anyone wants to take lessons, give me lessons, or play, my email is heavyweather77@hotmail.com and my name is Brian. Yeehaw. :cool:

#17 ·
Don't know if you're interested in quartet work, and the distance from Rowlett might be a deal killer, but we are looking for another player for our group. Since we all have two or more horns, the new person can pretty much decide which horn they want to play. Check us out at "Quadsax" on youtube. We have posted several songs from the Denton Jazz Festival, and an enthusiastic listener posted a piece from an impromptu concert at Klyde Warren Park. We play for free or for not much, ha!

#18 ·
I'd love to come to a GTG in Texas - Dallas, Austin, Tyler, even Houston or SA. Where I live is a bit empty, but I go to Austin and Dallas and every week. I've got bass through nino, and don't mind sharing most of them - also have alto flute, electric bass, keys, and lotsa brass. Some of us from talkbass.com just did a GTG at a studio in Plano, and it was great fun.

#20 ·
Going to be visiting the in-laws over Christmas. Will have my tenor (possibly alto) with me and if there's a need for my "services", I'd be open to doing some playing. Check my soundcloud link below to listen to what I do.
I'll be in Arlington, btw....
Thanks!
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.