Sax on the Web Forum banner

Best Bass Sax Player?

37K views 100 replies 58 participants last post by  sopsax 
#1 ·
I vote James Carter. :)

#99 ·
Check out a guy from Germany named Uwe Ladwig. He has a number of You Tuba videos up, with groups called "Paradox Jazz Band" and "Bixology". The latter is a 3 1/2 piece band (trumpet, acoustic guitar, bass sax, and Ladwig plays a high-hat on off-beats with his left foot) specializing in music of the Beiderbecke period (don't know if they play tunes that are not associated with Bix, but it's all definitely in that vein). Sounds great. Very inspiring to me in my journey with the Very Big Horn.

#100 ·
I checked out Uwe - on "I FOUND A NEW BABY". I think this is another of those threads that ends up naming all the bass sax players and skill-comparisons become a non-issue. But "skill" is not the only value when it comes to bass sax. Uwe certainly added a nice bass-line to this ensemble. I've always loved bass saxophone.

This clip was good, overall - I liked the band's ensemble-sound. Not very Bixish, though - and they didn't play the verse, which is a major reason to do this tune. I also noted the clarinetist was playing German System. DAVE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.