Sax on the Web Forum banner

Best Bass Sax Player?

37K views 100 replies 58 participants last post by  sopsax 
#1 ·
I vote James Carter. :)

#69 ·
Back in the 1990s when Garrison Keillor had a live big band on stage during his radio show (known then as the American Radio Company), he would have Vince Giordano sit in occasionally. On one show they did a "bass sax-off" which was a bass sax contest between Giordano and John Campo, one of the regular sax players in the band. They traded some fours and then ended with a duet, and then the audience was invited to applaud to see who they thought was the winner. (As I recall, Vince won. Keillor joked that when Campo began to dance while he played, that may have swayed the audience against him.)

#76 ·
#78 ·
Deleted. Just realized someone had already posted about him (Colin Stetson).

#79 ·
What about the Nuclear Whales' bass player? I think that was Don Springs. The group wasn't very solo-oriented, but they were fantastically tight, and their bass player was their foundation. He was an ensemble player, but not "just" an ensemble player.

Also, has anyone here heard good recordings of the Six Brown Brothers? They were hot before the 1920s, and they seem have led the bass sax's move into pop. However, their recordings on youtube are pretty hard to listen to.

#85 ·
What about the Nuclear Whales' bass player? I think that was Don Springs. The group wasn't very solo-oriented, but they were fantastically tight, and their bass player was their foundation. He was an ensemble player, but not "just" an ensemble player.
To resurrect an old thread...

Art Springs is the guy, and he was (still is?) fabulous. I have two of their CDs, and he is indeed their rock. Their version of Tiger Rag is fun, with a ripping bass solo. I should post that to YouTube, but in the meantime here's a live version:

Art is now on the forum, but it looks like he signed up, said Hello, and wandered off...

#81 · (Edited)
Frans Sjöström from Sweden is worth listening to. He specializes in jazz from 1920-30.

#90 ·
It is fun to hear a great bass sax player on any kind of bass sax. If you see Nils Jansen, please tell him that I admire his playing. Enjoy your Selmer bass. I have found that it takes time to find the saxophone/mouthpiece combination that is best for you. Other players may sound great on completely different equipment.

#93 ·
Sorry should have mentioned Joe Rushton is one of the true greats of the era for sure.
Nice we can hear him playing in relatively modern recording
too bad Adrian Rollini was not along long enough to capture his great sound even better.

Always great to have informed members post something that I had not seen before.

#94 ·
I hate to pit various bass sax players who play different styles against one another. For example check out Andreas Van Zoelin on Youtube, with an orchestra:

and then try to compare it with Colin Stetson (Google that name for a real awakening.)

For the modern bass sax fan, It's hard to pass judgement on Adrian Rollini because his best recordings are simply not available. Joe Rushton followed Rollini in a similar style and there are a few recordings/videos in existence. Pick your style and vote your own taste.

But most votes for best bass sax are votes for the listener's preferred style of music. That is not unusual for "best instrument" polls. It might not even be a bad idea in a classification like bass sax because inevitably it leads listeners to great players in different styles of music.

I am thankful for people who have enjoyed my Youtube posts and have mentioned me as a top bass sax player. I try to post videos that sound good, swing, and are fun to watch or hear. There are many bass sax players who can do much more than what I do, and I ask bass sax fans to seek them out and encourage them. Try Paul Woltz, Jay Mason, Charlie Ventura, and Scott Robinson

#96 ·
I hate to pit various bass sax players who play different styles against one another… Pick your style and vote your own taste.

But most votes for best bass sax are votes for the listener's preferred style of music.
Yes exactly, Saxtek. This thread has ceased to really be about who is the best (and of course there is no best" in music). It could now be called, "Who are some enjoyable bass sax players?"

#95 ·
Thanks Saxtex! i enjoy your playing and agree with your comments.

I suppose for interesting bass sax videos all should check out Deep Schrott a german bass sax quartet that does very interesting work:

For example:

by the way I purchased the very solid bass sax stand from one of the players (Andreas Kaling) you can see in this video it works great best ever made by far.

#97 ·
soybean: Thanks for that video-clip of Red Nichols and Welk. I had not seen it before.

I recall when Red and the Five Pennies were playing at a restaurant somewhere on the Palos Verde peninsula (was it "Marineland?) in the early 1960's. My bride and I went there with another couple and spent the evening listening to the band. Oh MY were they good!! On one break, I was able to talk to Joe Rushton a bit. I've always loved his playing and in that ensemble, he really stood out.

I also knew another clarinetist who played quite a bit with Red, Rosy McHargue. In fact, Rosy used to sit in with my band and we even made an LP album featuring Rosy.

Of course, Paul Woltz, mentioned here a few times, is a wonderful bass saxophonist - now in Seattle. But it IS about style more than skill, in threads like these. DAVE

#98 ·
Colin Stetson, hands down. Beautiful tone and technique. Really makes the most of the instrument.

EDIT: I guess my sarcasm didn't really come across. Colin sounds like a goose in a wood chipper. I understand that's his thing. I just wish he wouldn't do it to a sax or in public.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.