Sax on the Web Forum banner

Lyon & Healy INSPIRATION

11K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Sp8ctre 
#1 ·

C-melody #12723

The model name 'INSPIRATION' on Couturier saxophones from January through march 1924* was already used by Lyon & Healy earlier on stencils made by King (C-melody only). It can be found on a curved soprano, made by Conn, too.

This model - made in LaPorte - was structurally not different from the Couturier saxophone 'Made by Couturier'. The photo shows the engraving on a C-melody.

The tenor saxophone was prototyped by Couturier, but not yet released.
The baritone was prototyped by Couturier, too; but it still took four years until it was released by Lyon & Healy.

*The period of takeover negociations.

See less See more
#4 ·
Exactly!

#5 ·
There are no such things like 'the bevelled toneholes'. Thick bevelled and soldered-on toneholes were manufactured by different companies.

1. Martin Band Instrument Company in Elkhart IND (Martin-style)
2. E.A. Couturier Band Instrument Company in LaPorte IND (LaPorte-style)
3. Grand Rapids Band Instrument Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan (Grand-Rapids-style)

#8 ·
I remember that you mentioned this in a different thread. I have an 'INSPIRATION' alto made by the Couturier Band Instrument Company. All I've seen until now are silverplated except one curved soprano made by Conn.

#10 ·
You 're right. Please allow me to take some more time. I'll be back soon, certainly.

Felix

#11 ·
I restored an Inspiration model C Melody and found it to be a very nice horn. It sounds like a Holton of the same era. My son-inlaw is now the proud owner.

#12 ·
Poking an old thread with new pictures. This was on auction about a month ago 5,May 19. I was hoping the new owner is a member. Would be nice to see some pictures of this cleaned up. Not many pictures around of these.

#12153. 570 numbers lower(older) than the melody C in post #1. Made in Chicago.
Couturier or Martin? The beveled tone holes look more pronounced than post #1.

Attachments

#13 ·
Ah, the memories, the memories! My very first sax was a Lyon & Healy C-Mel exactly like this one, came with a Selmer metal piece, great for Frankie Trumbauer tribute numbers ('Wringing and Twisting' anyone?) when playing on the London pub jazz scene... nice instrument but it had to go to fund a Buffet tenor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.