Flying: Will my BAM case fit in the overhead compartment?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flying: Will my BAM case fit in the overhead compartment?

As I've been playing bari with the Oasis Quartet (www.oasisquartet.com) for the past couple of years, I'm doing more traveling with the horn. I have the BAM case, but am still very wary of checking or even of gate-checking. So, I've begun compiling a list of planes that the case will fit in the overhead. I want your help collecting further data, which is where this thread comes in.

Please provide:

1. Airline
    2. Manufacturer of plane (Boeing, etc.)
    3. Model of plane (737-200, etc.)
    4. ***Did it fit in the overhead or not?***
    5. If you remember, configuration of seats (2x2, 3x2, etc.)
    6. Notes: i.e. "They nicely let me strap it to an empty seat next to me" (which was the case on recent Delta and Midwest flights for me.) Also, if you have another type of case, please make a note of it here. As I said, my own experience is only with the BAM case.

You can post the info in this thread, PM me, or email me. I'll be continually updating the data. For now, it's a pdf, but the searchable Excel spreadsheet can also be obtained directly from me.

Thank you for your help, and I hope that this will become a useful resource for all bari players!
    FlyingBari.pdf
    Fichiers attachés Fichiers attachés
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flying: Will my BAM case fit in the overhead compartment?

Chirp - chirp
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been "gatechecking" with the BAM bari case for many years now. Have had a BAM case since just after they came out - at least 5-6 years? My routine - "gatechecking"- which means when I get to the door of the plane, I ask if I can put it in a closet. Mostly they say yes or say "That should fit in the overhead" (which we both know to be true.) Only times it hasn't fit is on tiny planes - then it is gatechecked. But on the tiny planes (1 seat one side, 2 seats on the other) there isn't a lot of luggage to go underneath and you get it back on the tarmac or the door of the gateway. Sorry, I don't keep a record of the plane models.
    Yours truly,
    Happy BAM bari case "gatechecker"
    Lisa Parrott (a.k.a. Paz)

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member hgrail's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else with experiences? This bari BaM owner is curious also...
    "After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
    Selmer Serie III Tenor, Yani 900 Bari, '24 True Tone Bass, Buffet S1 Bb Clarinet..

E-mail problem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have a Selmer flight bari case made by BAM. I flew just about every airline with it while on the road. It fit in almost every plane, except in the small ones as mentioned above. I ended up switching horns and started using a walt johnson, which also fit. I flew for some time with a protec case which fit as well. It all depends on how early you can board the flight, the tsa, and flight attendants. I'm sorry I don't know the exact model plane, but every airline worked.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An extensive study on this question was published in the International Musician, the journal of the musicians union.

To make a long study short, it doesn't matter what the federal carry-on rules are, it doesn't matter what the airline's rules are, and it doesn't matter how big the compartments are on various airliners. The guy at the gate can keep you from carrying on your horn if he wants to, and he often will.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only truly checkable cases baritone sax cases are made by mike manning. the BAM case is nothing more than an overpriced liability. a bad investment. mikes cases are small enough to fit inside the over in the Embraer regional jets.
    P. Mauriat Low Bb and Low A Baritones, Jody Jazz DV # 10 Rico Jazz Select 4 hard filed
    P. Mauriat Influence Tenor, Jody Jazz HR* 10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkz1LdehORg start watching at 02:35

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious about the Manning cases--they are slim enough for the overhead, yet also have sufficient rigidity and shock absorption to be checked under the plane, and protect the horn from a toss to or from the belt, or an 8-foot drop off of the belt onto the tarmac? If 'yes' on all counts, I'll look further.
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a fellow sax player, I wish you all continued luck in carrying on your Baris. But as a passenger (harrumph), few things get my goat more than people being allowed to blatantly get a pass on the "required" size/volume of carry-on luggage, especially when that means that I've got to hunt up and down the isles looking for an empty place (usually closer to the back of the plane and further away from my seat) to put my bag.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Forum Contributor 2010 DukeCity's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    As a fellow sax player, I wish you all continued luck in carrying on your Baris. But as a passenger (harrumph), few things get my goat more than people being allowed to blatantly get a pass on the "required" size/volume of carry-on luggage, especially when that means that I've got to hunt up and down the isles looking for an empty place (usually closer to the back of the plane and further away from my seat) to put my bag.
    But Gary, surely you understand that my bari is far more important that anything you and any other two passengers could possibly be bringing on a plane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been on a plane with that many baris on board..

I'm also sorry you have to carry a suit carrier or 20" suitcase plus a laptop bag (combined they equal the length of my bari case), a few feet further down the plane because of all the baris.

Signed,
    The passenger who took up a spare bin in the back with her bari on USAir flights yesterday between Pittsbugh, DC & NY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozjazz View Post
    I'm also sorry you have to carry a suit carrier or 20" suitcase plus a laptop bag (combined they equal the length of my bari case), a few feet further down the plane because of all the baris.
    If you're referring to me, Lisa, I only carry my sax (tenor or alto in very compact cases) and one small (6"X12"X4") soft case on board with me. Perhaps in a neighborly spirit, bari players could put their grossly oversized items in the back of the plane, instead.

Signed, The passenger who took up a spare bin in the back with her bari on USAir flights yesterday between Pittsbugh, DC & NY.
    See, it's working already.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not "grossly oversized." As I said earlier, a "suit carrier or 20" suitcase plus a laptop bag (combined they equal the length of my bari case" - the Bam bari case is the same combined length but skinnier than the above combination.

Please refrain from calling a bari case "grossly oversized" - it's offensive & if it was "grossly oversized", it wouldn't fit in the overhead in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Offensive"? Lighten up, Lisa.

I consider this an in-house discussion and the general point I was trying to make is more about the airlines allowing people to abuse the size restrictions, which some do blantly, to the discomfort of other travelers who play by the rules. I would never give any airline personnel an opinion or reason to disallow a musician to carry on their instrument.

Please don't overlook that my first point was, "As a fellow sax player, I wish you all continued luck in carrying on your Baris". And I still do.

- - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    "Offensive"? Lighten up, Lisa.

I consider this an in-house discussion and the general point I was trying to make is more about the airlines allowing people to abuse the size restrictions, which some do blantly, to the discomfort of other travelers who play by the rules. I would never give any airline personnel an opinion or reason to disallow a musician to carry on their instrument.

Please don't overlook that my first point was, "As a fellow sax player, I wish you all continued luck in carrying on your Baris". And I still do.
    Geez Gary..next thing you know you'll be complaining about having to sit squished between two oversized bari players!:tsk:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drakesaxprof View Post
    Curious about the Manning cases--they are slim enough for the overhead, yet also have sufficient rigidity and shock absorption to be checked under the plane, and protect the horn from a toss to or from the belt, or an 8-foot drop off of the belt onto the tarmac? If 'yes' on all counts, I'll look further.
    Anyone have the answer to this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the risk of sowing more discontent...

As a guy who travels extensively with his horns, I got really tired of the hassle of dealing with airlines, baggage, damage risk, etc. I broke down and bought a heavily insulated/padded ATA flight case that my Walt Johnson case fits inside of. It's incredibly heavy and very big - just barely gets in under the baggage limits for checked baggage. But I've flown my Bari a dozen times or more - usually costs about $100 in overage fees - and have never had an issue with safety of the horn or dealing with airport personnel.

I usually am able to charge it to the client I'm traveling for and even if not, it's a LOT less expensive than having to rebuild a trashed horn from careless handling. These days, I'd say 80% of the planes I'm on couldn't handle a Bari case in the overheads and would need a gate check. Too much hassle, too much potential for a nightmare...

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Isley
    Saxophones, EWI, Composer, Arranger
    www.johnisley.com

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jisley View Post
    At the risk of sowing more discontent...

As a guy who travels extensively with his horns, I got really tired of the hassle of dealing with airlines, baggage, damage risk, etc. I broke down and bought a heavily insulated/padded ATA flight case that my Walt Johnson case fits inside of. It's incredibly heavy and very big - just barely gets in under the baggage limits for checked baggage. But I've flown my Bari a dozen times or more - usually costs about $100 in overage fees - and have never had an issue with safety of the horn or dealing with airport personnel.

I usually am able to charge it to the client I'm traveling for and even if not, it's a LOT less expensive than having to rebuild a trashed horn from careless handling. These days, I'd say 80% of the planes I'm on couldn't handle a Bari case in the overheads and would need a gate check. Too much hassle, too much potential for a nightmare...

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. In my opinion, this is the best idea so far. Would a bari fit in some overhead compartments? Sure...however, you're going to be taking up a compartment that's meant for three individuals to store their things. I really like bari...but it would be considered "grossly oversized" by the bulk of the general public.

As many have said...if you bank on having a bari as a carry-on...it's only a matter of time until a gate agent makes you check it. At that point, you have no control of what happens to your horn (see jisley's case idea).

-The suit carrier comment...most airlines that I've flown on will take suit carriers and hang them up front (separate storage) as soon as an individual enters the aircraft. Over-sized items, in general, are not permitted beyond the first row of seats in an aircraft. I'm shocked that people are able to get away with treating bari's as standard overhead items.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I confused. How many Walt Johnson cases do you know of that have failed? I don't have any BAMs, but I'm assuming that they are structurally correct? If not, buy a Walt J and check the bitch. Let somebody else hump it on the ramp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBen View Post
    Anyone have the answer to this?
    YES on all accounts.
    P. Mauriat Low Bb and Low A Baritones, Jody Jazz DV # 10 Rico Jazz Select 4 hard filed
    P. Mauriat Influence Tenor, Jody Jazz HR* 10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkz1LdehORg start watching at 02:35

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast